PDA

View Full Version : Loads for 308

Bearlodge10
05-13-2019, 10:32 AM
I posted this over in the vintage rifle section with no responses, so I will try it here to try to change my luck.
I have a Model 99E in .308 (20 in brl) that I am developing handloads for. I have several different bullet makes in 150 and 165 grain. Any suggested recipes? I would love to use the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond but in order for it to function from the magazine, I have to seat the bullet extra deep. In trying to keep the pressures mild, I really don't like this idea. Any tips on getting good accuracy while keeping the pressures down?
I am not expecting a tack driver but expect better than minute of deer. For the record, it shoots factory Winchester 150 grain Power Points into a 1" group at 100 yards.
Thanks

CFJunkie
05-13-2019, 10:02 PM
When you say 'extra deep', do you mean into the brass or into the chamber.
From the concern about the magazine, I would assume you mean into the brass, but it makes a difference.

Seating the O.A.L. shorter than normal O.A.L. does increase the pressure but it depends upon how aggressive you are with the seating the bullet into the brass.
For a Nosler Accubond, the normal O.A.L. is around 2.802.
With that O.A.L., a powder charge of 40 grains of IMR4064, you would get a mv of 2421 fps with a pressure of 45,689 psi assuming a trim length of 2.000.
If you seated the bullet at 2.760 O.A.L., the velocity would go up to 2440 and the pressure would increase to 47,225 psi with the same trim length.

For H4895, a powder charge of 39.0 would give you about the same result.
For Varget, a powder charge of 40.6 grains would give you about the same result.

I hope that helps.
That is still far below the 62,000 psi PMax for a .308.

Bearlodge10
05-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Yes CFJunkie, I do mean into the brass. I did not put calipers to the dummy round that I put together to measure the O.A.L. which was a little tricky with the levergun. However, the standard 2.80 was a little long and wouldn't feed properly from the magazine nor would it eject properly. I thank you greatly for the response as that is the information I was looking for.