PDA

View Full Version : "inexpensive?" 2000 yd group and score based on a 111 action

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

yobuck
06-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Well for one thing, there are no leg hgt. adjustments on that bench, but maybe thats ok for just photo ops?
It would also be lighter by using heavy wall aluminum electrical conduit?
What no love for leftys?
As for the gun, let me guess, let me guess, lol, but does the cheek riser go high enough?
Maybe also a sand bag with duct tape? lol
Maybe now that im at least a low level legitimate member again, I can learn to post a few "educational" type pictures.

mikeinco
06-03-2019, 08:04 PM
thanks robinhood.
i had to hog a ton of material out of the stock to fit a bbl that starts at
1.25 and is still over an inch at the end of the stock.
a router first, then an air die grinder,then a wood dowel with coarse sand paper.
it is all apart again, bbl, recoil lug, and bolt head out for nitride finish.

Dave Hoback
06-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Very nice! I LOVE nitriding, aka Tenifer by Glock and Tufftride & Melonite by some. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, although nothing new, IS the future of firearm “coatings”. And it’s not even a coating! Which makes it optimal for bores, as there is no material added. Plus, it comes in any color you want....as long as it’s BLACK!

Are you having QPQ done Mike? And the bore as well? I am curious, as I’ve not seen results of bore life increase in the premium barrels of bolt guns. In AR the world, we are seeing a substantial increase in bore life and accuracy over Chrome lining. It’s not even close!

mikeinco
06-05-2019, 10:17 AM
i believe qpq is a brand name for a very similar process.
i am having houston unlimited do my parts.
yes the bore is done. i had the bbl on my mk13 sniper rifle done...it gets more velocity than any
advertised similar combination.
so longer bbl life, i THINK less friction/drag, more velocity all added benefits of a black finish.

Very nice! I LOVE nitriding, aka Tenifer by Glock and Tufftride & Melonite by some. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, although nothing new, IS the future of firearm “coatings”. And it’s not even a coating! Which makes it optimal for bores, as there is no material added. Plus, it comes in any color you want....as long as it’s BLACK!

Are you having QPQ done Mike? And the bore as well? I am curious, as I’ve not seen results of bore life increase in the premium barrels of bolt guns. In AR the world, we are seeing a substantial increase in bore life and accuracy over Chrome lining. It’s not even close!

Dave Hoback
06-05-2019, 11:26 AM
QPQ “Quench Polish Quench”, is the method which is most used by purveyors through a particular process, of said. Brand names are Melonite, Tenifer, Nitromet, Tufftride and several others I’ve heard over the years. The three processes used are Salt Bath, Gas & Plasma Nitriding. Houston Unlimited does Salt Bath, which is the original process, first developed in early 1900’s. They’ve been doing Salt Bath Nitriding since the early 80’s! They nitride the barrel inside & out, and use QPQ as normal in their process. The shop has honed a very good service! Great choice! They would definitely be one of my front runners for Nitride services.

Robinhood
06-05-2019, 11:45 PM
i am having houston unlimited do my parts.

What does having a barrel done cost?

mikeinco
06-06-2019, 12:08 AM
my price is $165 for the bolt head, the bbl and the recoil lug, plus return shipping,
and 3% for using a credit card.
more than my last bbl but still reasonable.

What does having a barrel done cost?

Dave Hoback
06-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Wow! That is a great price for quality Nitriding service!

mikeinco
06-06-2019, 11:27 AM
yes i hing ip om a company that said $300 plus.
my first was about 125 delivered

Wow! That is a great price for quality Nitriding service!

Dave Hoback
06-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Yup! $300 is vey common for high quality Nitriding. $180 is “good”. $125 for the service I know Houston Unlim. delivers is outstanding! Like I said, they were already on my short list. After hearing that price, they just moved up to #1 on my list!

Have been a an a huge fan of Nitriding for some years now. Every AR I’ve built in the last 5 years(more than a couple) have had their barrels, flash hiders & every part of the gas system Nitrided! On top of that, every single one shot sub moa..

mikeinco
06-06-2019, 08:15 PM
(do not get me started on ars. small group from my ar10 is 0.116 at 100, a TARGET rifle, my ar15's are crap..hanging right at 0.2 at 100 again TARGET rifle.)
i built target ar's for over 20 years

Yup! $300 is vey common for high quality Nitriding. $180 is “good”. $125 for the service I know Houston Unlim. delivers is outstanding! Like I said, they were already on my short list. After hearing that price, they just moved up to #1 on my list!

Have been a an a huge fan of Nitriding for some years now. Every AR I’ve built in the last 5 years(more than a couple) have had their barrels, flash hiders & every part of the gas system Nitrided! On top of that, every single one shot sub moa..

Dave Hoback
06-07-2019, 06:53 AM
I’m curious Mike, I’m 40yo, and of course haven’t built them as long as you. But I started right about 2005. Now, as I remember that was the infancy in building AR’s & AK’s for non professionals. And people who have only been in the AR game for even 5-10 years don’t know what it was like. There simply wasn’t the plethora of parts suppliers, like today. But what I am curious with, is how did you build any AR during the Clinton AWB?

mikeinco
06-07-2019, 11:55 AM
it was a high capacity MAG ban, not a gun ban.
my first custom reamer was was 4/14/99.
and i built TARGET/competition RIFLES... not pretty dolled up 16"pos's.
never less than 20", some were 24,26 and even 27" from 15 twist to 7 twist.
accuracy was the only qualifier.
everyone has heard of a wylde chamber, bill wylde helped me with my first reamer design.

I’m curious Mike, I’m 40yo, and of course haven’t built them as long as you. But I started right about 2005. Now, as I remember that was the infancy in building AR’s & AK’s for non professionals. And people who have only been in the AR game for even 5-10 years don’t know what it was like. There simply wasn’t the plethora of parts suppliers, like today. But what I am curious with, is how did you build any AR during the Clinton AWB?

mikeinco
06-07-2019, 12:29 PM
i lied...
i did build some 18" "3 gun" rifles

Dave Hoback
06-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Well, it was an AWB, but it had loop holes. This is when the whole PRE & POST ban terminology started being used. But rifles built before 94 were unaffected. That said, you couldn’t find receivers in gun stores like today. And the online plethora of parts was nonexistent until 94-95. I’m always curious when I meet someone who built them prior....as I know I was one of first in many things I was among Spikes Tactical first customers, for instance. I remember when they were just starting...and SO small! So, where did you buy parts? No one ever says...

Im not sure what 16” pos’s are?? I prefer 18” barrels on the ones I build. Of course I went through the whole “wanting a SBR stage!” But I went though it in 2006! So I talk friends out of it now, looking to build one. I can see 24, but 26..& even 27?? Really? Yikes. I’ve seen them actually LOSE velocity going from a 24 to a 26! And the largest increase was I think 30-40fps.. Nah...18 gives the maximum velocity for lightest/easiest handling. I have done quite a few 16” that I certainly would not call pos’s, lol! Not by a long shot!

BTW: good back & forth Mike. AR is still my hands down favorite platform. And I can proudly say I have NEVER bought a manufacturer’s AR....always built, from my first 20” HBAR. Good stuff my friend!

mikeinco
06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
so got a call from texas, my bbl is done and shipped.
nice people are sending me a bill, and i will return a check.
they got the bbl late last week, cleaned , nitrited and reshipped in a matter of days

Dave Hoback
06-12-2019, 07:31 PM
so got a call from texas, my bbl is done and shipped.
nice people are sending me a bill, and i will return a check.
they got the bbl late last week, cleaned , nitrited and reshipped in a matter of days

Awesome! Like I said...Houston Unlimited is one of the most trusted sources for Nitriding. So I’m not surprised really. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it.

mikeinco
06-14-2019, 11:43 PM
so the parts are all here.
finish the bedding and final assembly..then load development.
the 2000 yard match gets in the way..its next weekend plus 2 days traveling

Robinhood
06-15-2019, 02:41 PM
https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3440477&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1560460819

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3440479&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1560460839

Grab a lamp and use it when taking pictures. Two lamps would be better with one on the left and one on the right. It makes a dramatic difference.

mikeinco
06-16-2019, 07:23 PM
the batts in the cam are low..poor flash ?
the stock is actually red change to black on the butt
thanks again