PDA

View Full Version : "inexpensive?" 2000 yd group and score based on a 111 action

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

yobuck
05-12-2019, 09:27 AM
No big deal, just take a Dremel and grind away on the back end of the port. lol
Seriously, I have opened up a few ports for the reason you cite.
One was on a 40xb which had a 308 length port. I could get a live one in, "300 wby case", but not out without pulling the bolt.
The rinky dink Rem bolt release was a pain so I removed that. But that allowed the bolt to just fall out unless it was closed when the gun was picked up and when there's snow on the ground it adds to the problem.
Another was a Hart#4 custom action, also 308 length.
I had converted that to a 30x378, but left the Rem size bolt face as a standard mag size and turned down the case rims. Actually it was an early version of a 300 ultra mag. But that action had a nice bolt stop/release on the side of the action, so it wasent as big a deal as dealing with the 40x. I still have the 40x, but it now has a Saco type side bolt release I had Bruce Baer install for me.
If you ever take a trip east on I 80, when you get to the Kylertown exit in PA, get off and you will be in easy walking distance of Cutting Edge. Very nice and very new facility with lots of nice Elk and Mule deer mounts taken mostly in Idaho. Our camp is about 20/25 crow fly miles from there. You will need a tight twist to use his bullets, like an 8 for his 300 gr 338s.

mikeinco
05-12-2019, 11:49 AM
WELL MY KRIEGER BBL IS A 9 twist, correct for this bullet. the real kicker is that my bbl wait time was TWO WEEKS, while most wait months.
it will be here monday.
and i am looking at 275's in my 338 edge, 1/9.35

No big deal, just take a Dremel and grind away on the back end of the port. lol
Seriously, I have opened up a few ports for the reason you cite.
One was on a 40xb which had a 308 length port. I could get a live one in, "300 wby case", but not out without pulling the bolt.
The rinky dink Rem bolt release was a pain so I removed that. But that allowed the bolt to just fall out unless it was closed when the gun was picked up and when there's snow on the ground it adds to the problem.
Another was a Hart#4 custom action, also 308 length.
I had converted that to a 30x378, but left the Rem size bolt face as a standard mag size and turned down the case rims. Actually it was an early version of a 300 ultra mag. But that action had a nice bolt stop/release on the side of the action, so it wasent as big a deal as dealing with the 40x. I still have the 40x, but it now has a Saco type side bolt release I had Bruce Baer install for me.
If you ever take a trip east on I 80, when you get to the Kylertown exit in PA, get off and you will be in easy walking distance of Cutting Edge. Very nice and very new facility with lots of nice Elk and Mule deer mounts taken mostly in Idaho. Our camp is about 20/25 crow fly miles from there. You will need a tight twist to use his bullets, like an 8 for his 300 gr 338s.

yobuck
05-12-2019, 01:14 PM
No doubt they had the barrel in their inventory and just needed to turn it to your specs.
I got a barrel from Brux a few years back in a week after I confirmed the order.

Even the 250 gr Cutting Edge didnt work well in my 10 twist 338, yet both the Berger and SMK 300s both do.
My son has a 9 on his 338x378 and they work well in that also as do the 285 Hornadys.
C E dosent play mind games with customers by posting BC numbers on the boxes.

mikeinco
05-12-2019, 01:42 PM
not even "needed to turn it to your specs."...just in inventory.

it is bullet LENGTH, not weight that established twist requirement. solid copper is longer per weight

No doubt they had the barrel in their inventory and just needed to turn it to your specs.
I got a barrel from Brux a few years back in a week after I confirmed the order.

Even the 250 gr Cutting Edge didnt work well in my 10 twist 338, yet both the Berger and SMK 300s both do.
My son has a 9 on his 338x378 and they work well in that also as do the 285 Hornadys.
C E dosent play mind games with customers by posting BC numbers on the boxes.

mikeinco
05-14-2019, 11:24 AM
bbl is in the lathe
other things are in the way time wise.
i have a match on sunday i have to get ready for.

mikeinco
05-17-2019, 01:37 PM
scope got here last friday, 150 moa rings(adjustable) got here yesterday, stock gets here today.
should finish the bbl today.
just found out the bullets are not in production yet... a little bump in the road.
brass is ready to go

mikeinco
05-17-2019, 09:06 PM
so, chambered, threaded. head space set, bolt clearance set.
but
as the bullets i plan on shooting are not available, i have not throated it for the
3.95 cartridge length.
got to ponder that.
hmmmmmmmm

yobuck
05-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Im just a bit curious why you chose 300 win mag for a 2000 yd gun?
Or any 30 cal for that matter?
Did using a Savage action enter into any of that?

Dave Hoback
05-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Yobuck, I’m sure Mike simply enjoys 30cals, just as I and others enjoy 6.5 & 7mm’s. To the point of the extra long range, he is going to be using 220gr solid bronze billets, with a BC approaching or above .700. Makes the 168gr SMK perform like a TUNA CAN!

yobuck
05-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Yobuck, I’m sure Mike simply enjoys 30cals, just as I and others enjoy 6.5 & 7mm’s. To the point of the extra long range, he is going to be using 220gr solid bronze billets, with a BC approaching or above .700. Makes the 168gr SMK perform like a TUNA CAN!
Well there is long range, and then there is long range. Anybody who has ever shot or watched as others have, at the extreme long distances, need no convincing that the heavier the bullet the better it will perform. Especially the ones having the case capacity to create velocity, which frankly the Win Mag dosent, at least for those type of distances.
Having a scope setup that will permit dialing the distance, wont over come the fact that the bullet has long since stayed in the air due only to the trajectory height.
Which in fact is true with all of them, but the accuracy factor will be better when using a 300 gr at 3000 fps as opposed to using a 220 at 3000 fps.
Anybody who thinks otherwise is in for an awakening.
Frankly, even a 338 that is capable of driving a 300 gr bullet 3000 fps is not necessarily a good choice for a 2000 yd gun as far as accuracy is concerned.
And that would rule out quite a few 338s.

mikeinco
05-18-2019, 11:04 AM
actually pretty simple.
i currently shoot 2000 yards with a NAVY SEAL mk 13 sniper rifle. i shoot both mk248mod1 ammo (220smk at 3.5") and 230 bergers at 3.6.
it has the std 5.5-22x nf scope
BUT the chamber is not a true match chamber, so i want to see if it improves with a tighter chamber, bullet seated very long.
and it will have a 12-42x nf scope, but a cheaper stock and action.
the mil does not reload so they do not care about re-using brass, i do. part of the design is brass life.
this gun fits into the "hunter" class, shot off of a std bipod.
the next class up is my second rifle in work.. not a savage so not listed here.
golden bear single shot action, wheeler accuracy LRB stock, krieger bbl, either a Beast brake, or a thunderbeast suppressor,
this is a bench gun. it is a 338 edge with both 275 solids or 300 gr bergers,
nightforce atacr 7-35x-56( over $8000 in parts so far, so you can see why i call the savage inexpensive)
both guns, all bullets remain super sonic past 2000 yards

Dave Hoback
05-19-2019, 01:40 PM
There is merit to what you are saying yobuck. But let’s all be completely honest here....everyone who shoots these drastically long ranges, MISS much, more than they successfully connect with the target. We all know the factors which go into success at these distances. The crazy 1.5-2 mile shooting being done has a certain amount of luck with every shot, unlike even 1 mile or less!

mikeinco
05-19-2019, 03:47 PM
i have a surprise for you...JUST NOT SO.
cold bore, at 2k first two shots were hits, that was all i shot, just confirming my settings
OUR current record is 5 shots, 14" and a 47 point score..so close to the middle.
do we have misses yep.
at 1000 yards no misses, at 1 mile 3 single shot hits, no sighters about 30 mins apart.
it is about attention to details,and capable guns.
i do not build guns to miss

There is merit to what you are saying yobuck. But let’s all be completely honest here....everyone who shoots these drastically long ranges, MISS much, more than they successfully connect with the target. We all know the factors which go into success at these distances. The crazy 1.5-2 mile shooting being done has a certain amount of luck with every shot, unlike even 1 mile or less!

Dave Hoback
05-19-2019, 05:23 PM
Ok...You trying to convince me or yourself? I made a very clear distinction between distances of under 1 mile and above. I’m NOT surprised you have no misses at 1000yds. A mile & a half or more is a completely different animal. And if you are saying that even at 2K yds you are 75%, well awesome. Again, who are you trying to convince? Not arguing Mike. Again lol. But these things are easily researched.

mikeinco
05-19-2019, 05:30 PM
i am saying there is a big difference between large chunks of steel and a target with scoring rings.
i don't shoot steel as a rule, i shoot targets with scoring rings
i did shoot a 875 to 2023 steel match, at raton. but it is history now.

mikeinco
05-21-2019, 02:51 PM
well ran into a problem wit the new build. the bullet i chose, a 220 solid does not have a bc
to support super sonic at 2000. its a new bullet, not even out yet, but i just got some prelim test
data. looks like i am stuck with 230 berger...not really stuck. it is a good bullet, just not a solid.
i'll take a peak at a 240.

J.Baker
05-24-2019, 03:54 AM
except i have to go load to a third party ,,,a step i do not currently do WITH ANY SITE i belong to.
just like sending them to you is an extra step.
it is just silly and a waste of time.
this software supports user uploads WITHOUT a third party.

Yes it does, and server storage costs money and hosting a ton of images drives bandwidth usage way up which can lead to even higher server costs which is why we restrict direct uploads to paying members of this site. I If you don't want to buy a paid membership and don't want to use a third party hosting site that's your choice to make, but pissing and moaning about our policy isn't going to get you anywhere.

I do agree Mike, about online forums and their abilities. I think it’s disgraceful for a forum to charge “members fees”, when they have site sponsors. The only reason they are generating sponsors is because of the traffic through the forum. US! WE are the reason for sponsors. So charging a fee, when it’s the members generating sponsors is well, it’s greed!

Disgraceful? Greed? Seriously?

Think what you want, but rest assured I make very little off this site at the end of the day. If it wasn't for the paid memberships this site would no longer exist because that's what covers the site expenses. In fact, for the last two years I've been on the bubble of shutting it down because it's really at that point, but I keep doing it for those who do appreciate it enough to support it. Attitudes like yours are what's killing niche sites like ours, yet you're the type that's the first to ***** and moan when they disappear. Go figure.

As for advertising, that's my pay for all the time/effort I've put into this site for the last 17 years - and believe me, I'm working for chump change in that regard. As a very specific niche site our pool of potential advertisers is very limited. Basically, if they don't make or sell numerous products specifically for Savage rifles and/or cater to the Savage market in some way they're not going to advertise here. On top of that, most of those businesses that do meet those requirements also make or sell products for a wide range of firearms so it's more beneficial to them to advertise on sites with a broader scope than ours.

If you don't think my time/effort over the last 17 years is worth something you're more than welcome to go start up your own site and run it as you see fit. Clearly you do find value in this site though as you're still here even though it's run by a greedy S.O.B. in a disgraceful manner.

Robinhood
05-24-2019, 06:59 AM
Copy, Paste.

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3329427&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1545715675

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3357753&d=1549301731&thumb=1

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3391657&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1553726827

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3392385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1553819533

Thanks for providing this forum Jim.

scootergisme
05-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Thanks Jim for all that you do for this site to exist!

Dave Hoback
05-24-2019, 09:52 AM
I don’t recall NAMING you in what I said Jim. And I certainly didn’t call you or anyone an SOB...I don’t think you are that. But I should have been more clear. My point was that sponsors are the result of forum traffic...PERIOD! The “GREED” is when a forum is actively making money from sponsors(I do agree you don’t have many, but there are sites with dozens & dozens of sponsors), which are due to the traffic flow..THE MEMBERS, and they STILL charge a members fee. What I said was true of many out there. If it is NOT true of you(which you have already said it’s not, and I don’t think so either, which is why I never named YOU), it doesn’t apply. For being too vague, I apologize.

But what most certainly IS disgraceful, is openly naming and attacking your patrons. Your forum’s popularity is the direct result of the very people commenting here, INCLUDING MYSELF! And as a Forum leader, making defamatory statements about & insulting a patron openly, is most assuredly & unequivocally disgusting!

Oh..you are correct. I do find value in a gathering of like minded individuals to give & share their dealings, accomplishments, questions, etc. I enjoy helping where I can....helping even one is everything. And there are several here who’s opinions of which I have the utmost respect, and genuinely enjoy the back & forth convo with. The PEOPLE are the reason! But you’ve done a fantastic job claiming responsibility through your toil and hard work!