PDA

View Full Version : My first time working on a rifle

bbradford71
10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Hello All,

I am new to all of this, I grew up shooting my fathers Remington 30-06 and have finally decided to move on to a new rifle. I just purchased the Savage model 16 300 WSM and love the way it shoots. I have caught the bug and want to make it better and need some advice from the experts on what to do and where to start.

Here is my Question:

If you had just purchased a new factory savage rifle what items would you do to the rifle to improve accuracy and functionality? What are the top 10 improvements I can make with numer one being the first item to tackle and number ten being the tenth item to tackle?

Thanks In Advance

BBradford71

82boy
10-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Number one thing to do would be to purchase a membership to this site.
Second would be to invest in loading supplies.
Third would be get a good rest.
Fourth and last would be get some trigger time.

pdog06
10-19-2010, 11:41 PM
The order of improvements depends on which exact model you purchased(with or without accustock and accutrigger...package gun?, etc)

Dont know if Ill list 10 or not, but here goes. This list is since you do like the way the barrel shoots:

1. replace the stock with something more rigid(duramax, stockade woodchuck, etc).
2. Do a bedding job on new stock
3. put better optics(plus rings and bases) on it if it is a package gun
4. RELOAD for it!
5. Install an aftermarket trigger(SSS, Sav-1, or Timney since a hunting rifle)
6. Install a SSS or Stockade bolthandle to get rid of the small handle.
7. Have the new stock inletted for a DBM by SSS, and get one of SSS's extended magazines so it will hold more than 2 or 3 rounds.
8. If you really want a smooth action you could send it off to SSS for a time and true job.
9. You could also install a custom barrel and recoil lug, but I listed it low in the order since you said you were happy withthe way it shot.
10. Last but most important. Shoot often and have fun!

None of this really has to be done cause Im sure it shoots great as is, but these are just things to consider if you wanna change things up a bit.

bbradford71
10-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Who is SSS and I thought Savage rifles had a free floating barel and do not need to be bedded?

ellobo
10-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Supposedly Savage barrels are free floated but not every one is. The tang needs to be free floated also.
SSS is SharpShooterSupply, a vendor who advertises here, Fred Moreo at SSS is the recognized expert on Savage rifles and his true and timing work turns a SAvage into a world beater. DEpending on what you want to do with the rifle, like hunting only, I would Suggest a laminate stock from Boyds, less than $100 while others mentioned are $250 and up. Boyds may not have a stock for yours if yours is a centerfeed stock. Be aware that Savage barrels tend to copper up so have some copper remover on hand when cleaning as accuracy drops off. And, as has been said, good optics. Good luck.

El Lobo

pdog06
10-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Who is SSS and I thought Savage rifles had a free floating barel and do not need to be bedded?

Sorry for the confusion. The bedding would be done to the action, not the stock. The barrel and rear tang of the action should remain free-floated.

You asked what can be done to the gun to improve accuracy, and without buying better components for it all you can really do is bed the action into the current stock. The problem is that the factory synthetic stocks have alot of flex in them, and most of that flex is right at the recoil lug area.