PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Seize on barrel threads?

Bill2905
05-02-2019, 08:48 PM
I'm preparing to do my first barrel swap. Should I apply some type of Anti-Seize compound to the barrel threads before final assembly or is this unnecessary?

gbflyer
05-02-2019, 10:41 PM
You’ll get varied recommendations. Receiver and barrel threads are typically not extremely tight tolerance and in a perfect world should not need lube. Be that as it may, I personally use a little gun grease on mine. All it takes is one little sliver of metal off a thread to make life miserable. Found that out on a factory Remington once. Don’t see why a little anti seize wouldn’t work well too.

Keith_A
05-02-2019, 10:59 PM
In the past, I've also used a bit of grease . (Mobil-1 synthetic - My favorite general purpose grease.)

NicfromAlabama
05-02-2019, 11:01 PM
I have read various threads about certain types of anti-seize reacting with this type metal or that, so I never have used it on rifle barrels. For the Savage barrels I have done, I decided to just use the same standard mil-spec grease I have used for AR-15 barrel installations, which is Aeroshell 33MS. I bought a few little containers of it years ago and a little goes a long way. I think about any ol' gun grease will work, and that is what I would use if I did not already have the Aeroshell grease.

Robinhood
05-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Either way. Lube does effect torque values if that is a consideration.

tobnpr
05-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Copper anti-seize.

Texas10
05-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Never use copper base anti-seize on stainless steel. http://www.depacproducts.net/anti.html

Best is nickel based, second best is aluminum. If you use a grease, stay away from the teflon based stuff, as your barrel may loosen up in use.

mikeinco
05-03-2019, 09:41 PM
i just took apart a 111(steel) at the factory bbl/recvr has a copper based antisieze.
this is a 2018 rifle

Texas10
05-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Per the above link, Aluminum based is not recommended for carbon steel barrels, so copper, nickel or non-metallic anti-seize is best. But because you can find yourself mounting a stainless barrel into a carbon steel receiver, or vise versa, it might be best to keep nickel based or non-metallic in stock if you're a DIY kind of guy.