PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel questions

toddlouis27
05-02-2019, 12:55 PM
I have the cabelas exclusive savage 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor. It has a lot of free bore to where I can’t seat out a bullet long enough to touch the lands. So my question is if/when I do a rebarrel will I have the same amount of free bore or will it shrink so I can touch the lands? Am wanting to do a prefit as I’m moving to Alaska and the nearest gun Smith is a 4 hour ferry ride away lol. I am wanting to do a 6.5-284 Norma, which I know on short actions is usually single shot, which I do anyway. Just has me thinking if the free bore doesn’t change it could work with the longer oal.

earl39
05-02-2019, 02:28 PM
When you order your new barrel just order custom with the amount of freebore you want. If you order a finished ready to ship barrel you get what the machinist reamed it to

Ted_Feasel
05-02-2019, 02:50 PM
I have the cabelas exclusive savage 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor. It has a lot of free bore to where I can’t seat out a bullet long enough to touch the lands. So my question is if/when I do a rebarrel will I have the same amount of free bore or will it shrink so I can touch the lands? Am wanting to do a prefit as I’m moving to Alaska and the nearest gun Smith is a 4 hour ferry ride away lol. I am wanting to do a 6.5-284 Norma, which I know on short actions is usually single shot, which I do anyway. Just has me thinking if the free bore doesn’t change it could work with the longer oal.Likely a good barrel like shilen or criterion will have freebore that's not extreme. It could even be that savage cut those a little deep unintentionally. Have you checked headspace? If it's not tight enough, that can make your jump space to great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tobnpr
05-03-2019, 05:23 PM
What bullet are you using?
Doesn't make sense... Savage chambers should be SAAMI spec far as I know- .199 freebore.

Ted_Feasel
05-03-2019, 05:26 PM
What bullet are you using?
Doesn't make sense... Savage chambers should be SAAMI spec far as I know- .199 freebore.My guess (barring it being odd bullet) if jump space is excessive, that it was not intended, something during production was off or headspace set to loose giving appearance of excessive jump

tobnpr
05-03-2019, 06:14 PM
My guess (barring it being odd bullet) if jump space is excessive, that it was not intended, something during production was off or headspace set to loose giving appearance of excessive jump

Never checked so can't say for certain- but I'd find it very odd if Savage employed more than one reamer to cut the chamber, neck and leade simultaneously (as most reamers are made)
Assuming that, reaming too deeply wouldn't change the freebore length (it's strictly a function of the dimensions of the form tool- the reamer), just moves the shoulder and the rest of it further down the barrel...

The only way to "get" more freebore, is to use a throating reamer to extend what's there from a dummy round , or have a new reamer ground to your specs (freebore, throat dia) when cutting a new chamber.

Ted_Feasel
05-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Never checked so can't say for certain- but I'd find it very odd if Savage employed more than one reamer to cut the chamber, neck and leade simultaneously (as most reamers are made)
Assuming that, reaming too deeply wouldn't change the freebore length (it's strictly a function of the dimensions of the form tool- the reamer), just moves the shoulder and the rest of it further down the barrel...

The only way to "get" more freebore, is to use a throating reamer to extend what's there from a dummy round , or have a new reamer ground to your specs (freebore, throat dia) when cutting a new chamber.Your probably right. I think the typical standard is to use whatever reamer and then they periodic sharpen it until they've removed enough that it's no longer within saami spec

toddlouis27
05-09-2019, 11:36 AM
I am shooting 147 eld match. I tried different types of bullets to get seated close to the lands but have found decent loads, just wanted to wring out that little bit of accuracy left.

toddlouis27
05-09-2019, 11:38 AM
My guess (barring it being odd bullet) if jump space is excessive, that it was not intended, something during production was off or headspace set to loose giving appearance of excessive jump

ive tried Berger elite, Barnes lrx and hornady elds but run out of case when trying to seat bullet close to lands. It doesn’t affect accuracy as far as 100 yard shots. Average .6 moa on groups but wanting a little tighter at 100. P

celltech
05-09-2019, 12:16 PM
I am shooting 147 eld match.

Those ELD-Ms are loooooong. Both my 75gr .223s and 108gr .243 rounds will exceed mag length trying to reach the lands.