PDA

View Full Version : 300 Win Mag Resizing Questions

Harpoon1
04-27-2019, 06:08 PM
Couldn’t stand it any longer with all these high BC 30 cal bullets coming out. Figure I’ll start with this 1/10 twist, figure out which way is up, then rebarrel to a higher twist rate and take advantage of the latest projectiles.

So, this is going to be the first time I’ve fooled with any “belted” cases. Lots of conflicting information on how to handle the resizing. I know it’s very subjective, and a lot probably depends on how hard I plan on running it. As of right now, I plan on doing full length resize every time, figuring the primer pockets will give out first anyway.

Some claim you need the Larry Willis collet resizing die with belted cases. Others say they get by fine with regular plain vanilla “full length” sizing dies.

I was hoping I could resize and decap in one step with a Redding/Forster/Hornady full length type S bushing die. That’s what I’m doing now on everything else, including a 338 LM. So far no issues. Is that workable with belted cases or am I going to have to do it in multiple steps, starting with a regular full length die to resize the case bulge just above the belt, and then neck size and bump separately?

Looks like the brass selection is pretty thin too, especially for such a popular cartridge that’s been around for decades. I snagged some Hornady on sale to just get started. Looks like Norma might be the gold standard though, or am I missing something?

Any other gotcha’s?

Robinhood
04-28-2019, 12:08 AM
Head space the barrel to the gauge. Measure the fired brass from your barrel for a baseline and bump shoulder to the chamber dimensions.

yobuck
04-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Back in the olden days we would just buy a set of full length dies, say like RCBS for example.
Then place the sizing die in the press and screw it in till it touched the shell holder then a little more creating a bump.
Used to be a booklet came with the dies explaining all that.
I'm still using some 70 year old Pacific dies that were my fathers that are set up the same way.
I load for about all the belted mags up to and including 30x378, and they are all the same.
Best to have a set of Sinclair or other competition shell holders for when the cases wont chamber and need to be bumped more.
Do yourself a favor, go on Ebay and buy a cheap used small press and a RCBS or other decapping die that will work for all your cases large and small.
Do all your decapping only on that press using that die, and remove the pita decapping pins from all your other dies.

darkker
04-28-2019, 11:39 AM
I was hoping I could resize and decap in one step with a Redding/Forster/Hornady full length type S bushing die.

Looks like Norma might be the gold standard though, or am I missing something?

Of course you can do it in one step, having a belt doesn't mean you suddenly need kid gloves. I personally use Lee dies, and used to take my brothers 338WM brass and single-punch it down to my 264WM.

Norma asks the price of gold for their brass, but they aren't on some pedestal for Uber quality.

Cheers

Harpoon1
04-28-2019, 08:53 PM
Cool, good news indeed.

Thanks!