PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable headspace for a rookie?

Chuckb7718
04-25-2019, 06:10 AM
Okay...as a follow up to my previous question....
I've decided on the Apex Predator XP, but the adjustable headspace thing is a bit of a concern.
How difficult is it to figure out how to get to the exact dimensions?
Is this something that a bonafide rookie should even consider attempting or would leaving the rifle at the factory setting be the best idea?

JW
04-25-2019, 07:10 AM
The rifle should be head spaced correctly from the factory.
You should not have to worry about it.
That being said , adjustable head space means that the barrel is screwed into receiver to the correct head space and locked in place with the barrel nut.
Other manufacturers have a shoulder on the barrel to tighten against the action instead of the barrel nut. this type requires gunsmiths to "set" the head space when threading and reaming the chamber of the barrel

DesertDug
04-25-2019, 07:40 AM
What JW said.

charlie b
04-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Don't touch it!

I don't know why they put that in the advertising. I guess the ad people just wanted to add more features to the list to make it look better.

The only time it is useful is when changing barrels or working on bolts. The real reason many of us choose Savage is the 'plug and play' nature of the design.

And, your choice is a really good one too. If I didn't already have my 'heavy' rifle I would have to buy the same one you did.

Dave Hoback
04-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Nm

Chuckb7718
04-25-2019, 03:06 PM
That's great information...and a relief as well!!!
That was not something I wanted to deal with.
Honestly, I couldn't understand why "adjustable headspace" would even be offered to the average shooter.
Thanks for the answers!
👍👍👍👍

Robinhood
04-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Chuck, adjustable headspace comes into play when swapping barrels.

Bill2905
04-25-2019, 09:02 PM
That's great information...and a relief as well!!!
That was not something I wanted to deal with.
Honestly, I couldn't understand why "adjustable headspace" would even be offered to the average shooter.
Thanks for the answers!


Just shoot the rifle as is and enjoy it. One day when you become hooked on this hobby, you will have the capability of changing your barrel with a few simple tools and the knowledge gained from being a member on this site.

Keith_A
04-25-2019, 10:50 PM
One of the reasons why I got a Savage was the "adjustable headspace" feature as described by JW. After I got the rifle, I disassembled the rifle, removed the debris left over from manufacturing, polished various surfaces, and re-assembled the rifle (and used a headspace gauge). As described by JW, one can even replace the barrel and/or bolt parts without using a large lathe to set the proper headspace. Initially, the action was a bit rough, now it is as smooth as butter..........