PDA

View Full Version : New wet tumbler making brass look sandblasted

Pages : 1 [2]

Ted_Feasel
05-04-2019, 12:57 PM
I use a universal deprimer, dry tumble in rice for about 30 minutes before resizing, lube, resize, trim, deburr etc then sonic clean using about teaspoon of hornady 1 shot, let dry then dry tumble again brass comes out looking brand new inside and out. I may get a case here and there that the primer pocket didnt come perfectly clean but I just hit those with a damp QTip and that fixes that. Some say I'm doing more work than needed but I'm very picky lol.. I do believe there is a good amount of data indicating clean brass before putting it up in your dies is easier on your dies... I know i dont have to disassemble and clean them very often.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JeepsAndGuns
05-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Harbor freight has been passing out 25% coupons for a mothers day sale. I am thinking about picking up one of their sonic cleaners and trying it out with the frankford arsenal brass cleaning solution. I just ordered a bottle of it from amazon since it seemed to work better than dawn/lemi shine.
Might try the sonic cleaner, dry the brass, then polish with the green corncob. See how that does.

Ted_Feasel
05-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Harbor freight has been passing out 25% coupons for a mothers day sale. I am thinking about picking up one of their sonic cleaners and trying it out with the frankford arsenal brass cleaning solution. I just ordered a bottle of it from amazon since it seemed to work better than dawn/lemi shine.
Might try the sonic cleaner, dry the brass, then polish with the green corncob. See how that does.The hornady one shot and the Lyman brand of ultrasonic solution work really well also.. I've tried all 3 of those and they all seem to do a great job and I've never had them turn the brass pink or anything, only thing I've found is they can leave some large finger printing if you dont rinse the brass well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

243winxb
05-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Pin left in case, loaded, fired. Pin embedded in barrel. Barrel toast. Was on accurateshooter with bore scope photo.

Robinhood
05-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Yep, got to remove those pins. I have seen them in the flash holes and in the neck. Polishing media and water should be removed also.

JeepsAndGuns
05-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Every case I tumbled, I looked into with a flashlight and checked for pins. I guess I am too OCD and anal to let one stay in a case.

Had a guy on AR15.com suggest the SS chips.

Gonna pick up one of the HF sonic cleaners tomorrow during their mothers day sale using their 25% off coupon.

durango
05-29-2019, 10:54 PM
When the wet tumbling first got started, I was intrigued but noticed the peening on the surface of the brass and decided not to jump into the process. Shortly afterward, I saw an ad for pins that had rounded ends instead of clipped-or sharp-ends. Later, when I got my old rock tumbler running, I couldn't find the ad for the rounded end pins. Has anyone else heard of these pins? Seems that they might be the answer to the peening of the surface of brass.

After reading this thread and the idea of 'seasoning' the new pins, I thought--how about running the pins with something like steel BBs? Or a more aggressive compound--would rock tumbling media do anything to smooth off the edges? I'm still curious--what are your thoughts?

Most importantly, does anyone know where the 'rounded end' pins can be purchased??

Lastly, RE: HF sonic cleaner-I have the small one and it does a good job on cleaning but the batches are awfully small--15 or 20 .223s at a time. The worst thing about the HF model is that the timer is factory set to 9 or 10 minutes, so you have to babysit the thing and keep resetting the timer to get a longer run time.

Thanks for your attention, Steve

JeepsAndGuns
05-31-2019, 12:18 PM
When the wet tumbling first got started, I was intrigued but noticed the peening on the surface of the brass and decided not to jump into the process. Shortly afterward, I saw an ad for pins that had rounded ends instead of clipped-or sharp-ends. Later, when I got my old rock tumbler running, I couldn't find the ad for the rounded end pins. Has anyone else heard of these pins? Seems that they might be the answer to the peening of the surface of brass.

After reading this thread and the idea of 'seasoning' the new pins, I thought--how about running the pins with something like steel BBs? Or a more aggressive compound--would rock tumbling media do anything to smooth off the edges? I'm still curious--what are your thoughts?

Most importantly, does anyone know where the 'rounded end' pins can be purchased??

Lastly, RE: HF sonic cleaner-I have the small one and it does a good job on cleaning but the batches are awfully small--15 or 20 .223s at a time. The worst thing about the HF model is that the timer is factory set to 9 or 10 minutes, so you have to babysit the thing and keep resetting the timer to get a longer run time.

Thanks for your attention, Steve

If you ever find the source for those pins let me know!
Funny I too had the idea about running the pins through a rock tumbler with some polishing media to try and smooth them out. Life has been busy lately and I have not had time to do much.
I did however get the HF sonic cleaner with the 25% coupon. I also ordered a bottle of the FA cleaner (same stuff that came with my tumbler). I test run a batch and was quite surprised as how well they came out.
However the HF sonic cleaner is a little annoying with the max of 8 min run time. Having to constantly turn it back on was annoying. Also the heater in it has no regulator. It will just heat until it reaches the internal danger hot and it shuts itself off to "protect" itself.
When I get some time I will play with it some more and if I end up liking it, I will probably invest in a better quality sonic cleaner.