PDA

View Full Version : old m340 (30-30 win) chambering problem

leadchucker62
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
good day all:
i have a old m340 in 30-30 win.
i thought i would try some hornady lever-evolution ammo in it.
when i tried to chamber a round i found it very difficult to push the bolt forward and close it.
so i ejected the first round and tried another,same thing.
after inspecting the ejected rounds i found that the neck of the case had been slightly peeled back in the same way and the same spot on both cartridges.
could it be the crimp?

any ideas,anyone?

thanks Z

ellobo
10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Sounds like you have somthing dastardly living in your chamber. Try some of your old ammo and see if it does it to them also. Also visually look at as much of the chamber as you can see. If it is just doing it in one spot on the cartridge there is something catching on the mouth of the cartridge. Try slowly moving the bolt forward with one of the LeverEvolution rounds and see if you can feel where it is picking up that problem.

El Lobo

GaCop
10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Check your magazine lips to see if any portion is digging into the round as its fed into the chamber too.

Eric in NC
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Does it happen if you drop a round into the chamber and try to close the bolt or only when you feed from the magazine?

leadchucker62
10-20-2010, 07:03 AM
good day:
it only happens when fed from the magazine.
it looks to me as if the mouth of the cartridge is catching on the leading edge of the chamber at the bottom portion of the case.

Z

GaCop
10-20-2010, 07:15 AM
If its only happening when fed from the magazine, I would suggest polishing the magazine leading edge with a Dremel to eliminate any burrs or sharp edges. That should eliminate the problem. Check the Numrich web site to see if they have any replacement magazines should the polishing not solve the problem.

Blue Avenger
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
You could also open the forward mag lips some to let the cartridge rise a bit sooner.

GaCop
11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Opening the feed lips a bit and polishing the radius where the cartridge slides past the feed lips will be your best bet as stated. IIRC, Numrich did have magazines but they're not cheap. Midway USA is another possible source.

Blue Avenger
11-20-2010, 12:04 PM
there around $40- most of the time