PDA

View Full Version : 110 BA in 338 Lapua

nocturnalnasty
10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/johnrice_photos/338Lapua.jpg
Ok, if you looked at the crappy cell phone picture you already know this was fun. What's not to love? My buddy that owns a gun shop called me to ask if I would zero a rifle he had sold. A factory Savage 110 BA in 338 Lapua, the ultimate non-50 cal. factory long range thumper?? Maybe. I shot Remington factory ammo through it and even though the barrel was not completely broken in, it shot well. Last 3 shot group was just under 3/4". The Remington ammo was loaded in Lapua brass and used the 250 grain Scenar bullets. Recoil was very pleasant with the factory brake reducing recoil by 50%??? Just a guess. But it was easy on the shoulder. I suspect that once the barrel is broken in that it will shoot even better. Also, I suspect that the round will probably be similar to the 6.5x284 or other long range, VLD type rounds and shoot nearly the same groups at 300 to 400 yards as it does at 100. Also a note on the scope. It is a Trijicon Accupoint TR232 5x20x50 side focus with mil dot reticle. Very clear, and tracked extremely well. I really liked the fiber optic dot. I enjoyed shooting this gun. I wish I would have had 100 rounds, I would have been hard pressed not to shoot every single one of them.

On another side note, I was curious what the difference was between this 110 BA compared to the old 110's so just for grins I slipped the bolt from the 110 BA into one of my old blind magazine 110's (just an action, no barrel). What do you know, it fit like it was made for it. So now I'm wondering what in the world the difference is between this $2,000+ BA and my old 110's. Is it only barrel shank size? I know the 338 Edge has been chambered in the standard 110's and worked well, so is there a difference? I can't see one. I guess the aluminum stock accounts for several hundred dollars of the price. I don't have the answers to the technical questions on my mind, but I do know this thing was a ton of fun to shoot. My only regret is that I only got to shoot 100 yards. Would have loved to shoot it at 400 or 500. That and the fact that I can get this silly smile off my face. :D

John

Nefarioud
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Just be glad you don't own one.

Loading for .338LM is an education in spending, especially with a gun that's so easy to shoot. Every time I go out I return with a wallet that feels about $100 lighter, and that's with reloads.

nocturnalnasty
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I feel your pain. A pound of powder doesn't go very far when you're using nearly 100 grains per round. I don't think I would want to have to foot the bill for very many extended bench session.
John

358Hammer
10-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Thank you John. Get that Edge rifle out and start burning some powder and you will feel better for not having spent a mint on something that may cost 1/2 as much.

Neal

nocturnalnasty
10-19-2010, 02:07 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/johnrice_photos/SAVAGETARGETACTION338EDGE005.jpg
YES, here is that little dual port 338 Edge. Nothing like getting the hook-up on quality parts for a great finished product (thanks Neal for the barrel/brake and beautiful stock). As soon as Missouri deer season is over in November I am going to begin load development on this and see just how much powder I can burn up getting 300 grain Bergers to fly straight. Can you say hand cannon?
John

358Hammer
10-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Holy cow Batman! Hand Cannon.

I thought you had given up and sold all the parts. I haven't seen those things in a very long time. I could use that barrel back if you don't mind.

Maybe one of us could stop by and use the Edge and do some deer hunting with you?

Neal

nocturnalnasty
10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Haven't given up my friend. This barrel is a large shank and the only large shank I have now wears my 300WSM barrel that I have been working on and practicing with for deer season. Just lost focus on the Edge until after deer season is over. But after that, watch out! If you hear thunder coming from the Southeast it's not rain, it'll be me and the Edge. My hope for the Edge was that it would become the ultimate elk SP. If I can get the accuracy that you have, can't imagine ever needing anything more.
John

358Hammer
10-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Many months ago I put the first edge in a handgun John. Since that time and all the shooting I did with it I have absolutely no desire to look for a different caliber. It is like the long road of searching for the ultimate up close Brown Bear defense cartridge and the 400 yard sheep and goat cartridge has been filled.

I am going to finish up and put one of Centershots awesome A5 stocks on a long gun and call it good. It will either be another Edge or a 6.5WSM with Nitride treated barrel.

Neal

Balljoint
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
When i purchased my BAS/K had the choice of 308 and or the 338 thinking of what i would need and brought home the 308 since it came with only one mag. started to surf the net and found this site http://www.accurate-mag.com/Home_Page.html sent email answer was that they were the source of magazines for Savage so now have three more.

triggerman770
10-22-2010, 01:10 AM
our gun club just had a Savage rep provide the lineup from .17rim mag to the aforementioned 338 Lapua mag.
I started on the Lapua and all others paled in comparason. that is a sweeeet setup. and as mentioned expensive to shoot, even if you reload. A 50 bmg is actually cheaper to shoot.
but the 110BA in 338 Lapua is there..lurking in the back of my mind..just lurking

nocturnalnasty
10-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Many months ago I put the first edge in a handgun John. Since that time and all the shooting I did with it I have absolutely no desire to look for a different caliber. It is like the long road of searching for the ultimate up close Brown Bear defense cartridge and the 400 yard sheep and goat cartridge has been filled.

I am going to finish up and put one of Centershots awesome A5 stocks on a long gun and call it good. It will either be another Edge or a 6.5WSM with Nitride treated barrel.

Neal

Neal,
I always thought you were kind of the opposite of Matthew Quigley, he didn't have much use for pistols, and it's kind of hard for me to picture you shooting something with a butt stock on it. HA!

Seriously, I really appreciate all of the R&D on the big bore SP's that you have done to pave the way for guys like me to be able to own something like a 338 Edge pistol. If you would have told me 10 years ago when I started shooting contender pistols that I would ever have a pistol any bigger than a 7-08 I would have thought you were crazy. Look at me now. The 7-08 is on the small end of my center fire pistol spectrum. If not for you sharing your experiences and knowledge with me I would have never been able to afford or have the time to build such a gun. You have always offered help so freely whenever I have questions and I want to say a sincere "thank you" for everything. And don't think you're out of the woods yet, I will probably have to draw heavily on your database when I begin the load development on the edge. But as you say, "it's not the destination, but the journey" so, I for one am gonna enjoy the trip.
John