PDA

View Full Version : Any tips or tricks to painting my 110 Desert Tactical stock

Bugsbunny45
04-11-2019, 03:49 AM
The color of my stock says nooooo everytime I look at her so it's paint time.
Any tips or tricks to painting my 110 stock.
Any help is very welcome.

Wayne Nixon
04-11-2019, 12:34 PM
I wipe mine down real good with acetone before painting, let paint dry over night before next coat and do light coats to help prevent runs. Good luck and post pictures.

big honkin jeep
04-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Preparation, preparation, preparation. Never tried acetone but I always clean firearm surfaces to be painted with denatured alcohol. Dries quick and nothing left behind. I'm not sure what kind of paintjob you're looking for. There are some pretty good spiderweb paints, ones that look like granite, and every color under the sun including color shift paints. My favorite method is sponge camo, using a sea sponge from the crafts section at Wal mart. I've done several now and its an easy way to get a pro looking result. A couple of things I've found out about using this method is less can be more and too many colors can get too "busy" to be effective. Lots of tutorials available online.
here's a choate I painted with 4 colors 2 shades of green and 2 shades of brown. I first striped the rifle diagonally light green and khaki and then went back using the sponge and dabbed the dark brown over light green and the dark green over the khaki.
Here's a model 11 where i did the whole rifle scope and all in the same colors since I already had em.
and another model 11 carbine in just 2 colors OD green and khaki, I painted diagonal stripes alternating colors and then put green over khaki and khaki over green with the sponge.

I used Rustoleum camo paint in flat colors on all of these and topped them with a clear coat of Testors dull coat spray paint.
I just put these up for example because there are a million ways to paint your stock. and don't worry if you screw up you can always paint over mistakes. Good luck and have fun

Philf
04-11-2019, 04:55 PM
If you use acetone and get it on the rubber on your scope, it will make the rubber soft. That is one reason you don’t use it.
lay a leaf on it and spray over it, use other objects to give it some kind of camo look anything will work.
Or sponge it like what Big HonkinJeep said

Wayne Nixon
04-11-2019, 06:19 PM
I should have made myself a little clearer in my first post. I have always painted my stocks with everything taken off, never painted a scope, barrel or action so no chance of getting acetone on any thing not wanted. I have used the sponge method and it works if that is the look you want, have also used some rubber used to line drawers with small squares to make a design, so pick what you like and use it. I also put several coats of clear poly on mine for durability.