PDA

View Full Version : Will accuracy be the same..?

CBIshooter
04-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Hey... if I put the old 65 Creed 26" bull Barrel back on my lrp will the accuracy be the same as it was there's nothing wrong with the barrel.... but I can't find the original recoil lug but I have Precision ground recoil lug and precision ground barrel nut.. would you use the new recoil lug and barrel nut.. or should I use the old barrel nut and if I can find the old recoil lug should I use it also?. It's probably all about the headspace right? .... thanks just bored and need something to do thanks again.

Robinhood
04-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Man, you know how its done. Clean and inspect your action face. Fix any proud metal. Screw that barrel on with that new recoil lug and nut. Check head space and go shoot. Just get on with it!

CBIshooter
04-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Lol

CFJunkie
04-08-2019, 10:06 AM
The recoil lug, if it is in the same position as the original, positions the action in the stock. A precision version should be equal or better than the factory lug.
The barrel nut sets the barrel to the action and, if it sets the barrel correctly and securely, it should have no effect on the accuracy of the barrel. A precision nut should also be equal or better than the factory lug.

I would think that if they are positioned correctly, your 12 LRP barrel should shoot as well as it did before.
My 12 LRP in 6.5mm Creedmoor is my most accurate rifle.
Because it is so accurate, it encouraged me to focus even more on getting my set-up technique even more consistent so I could get what it was capable of out of it at every session.
That also improved my accuracy with my other rifles, although none of them can quite achieve the accuracy of the 12 LRP.
Good luck with your reconfigured 12 LRP.

CBIshooter
04-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your replies. Since it's shot so good factory setup I installed the old recoil lug and barrel nut and it shoots the same and same load 140 Berger hybrid h4350 Hornady brass CCI br. Of course I had to run 15 rounds through it before it would start shooting the way it did it was always that way clean the barrel would not shoot shoot about an inch at 100 but after about 15 rounds I'm not going to say what it is capable of it also is the most accurate Factory rifle I've ever owned and it has really shocked people who have seen me shoot at 400 yards 430 yards 500 yards 600 yards 800 yards in 1000 the muzzle velocity of the 140 Berger hybrid is 2836 with 42 grains of h4350 bullet just kissing the lands. You would swear that this Barrel was a Krieger or bartlein or Criterion or shilen select match. You can see very very very fine chatter marks but they fill up with carbon like I said in about 15 shots then they disappear then. Barrel is a Hummer. I don't blame you one bit if you don't believe me I know there's a lot of people that exaggerate but the gun balance is so well with the 26 inch barrel and you really don't have to do anything to make it shoot kind of like free recoil Harris bipod protektor rear bag Trager set at like one pound $1,400 Leupold scope 8.5 to 25 power cranked all the way of course. Well thanks for listening it's going to be a fun summer. I have 8lb H4350. ready to rock and roll. Tempted to go 6 mm Creedmoor next year or whenever this opens up to 3/4 of an inch. If George Gardiner uses a 6 mm Creedmoor by God I think everybody should what you think? ... Lol. A 105 hybrid @ 3150 ��

Would you believe it shoots in the threes at 100 yards. Sometimes I have to use a 10 power magnifying glass to make sure there is five holes in the bughole in the paper sometimes I think I pulled one clear off the paper which is actually quite impossible.... Lol

CBIshooter
04-08-2019, 04:04 PM
I put a shilling select match 28 inch bull 1 in 8 twist last fall shot it all summer using Berger hybrid 130 grain Tactical AR. Used reloader 17 powder Hornady brass CCI BR primers. It would shoot into threes also. Two days ago it stopped shooting as good shot 1 1/4" at 100 yards clean the barrel very little blue copper just one patch light blue the rest of the patches were carbon Gray. Shot 5 Fowler's through it at medium speed. Then my standard load of reloder 17 still could not get it under inch and a quarter at 100 tried everything different seating depth different powder charge. Checked everything on the scope and rifle everything was torqued correctly... thought holy crap the Leupold just broke yes Leupold break. Said well I have another scope but I don't like taking a scope off a rifle that is already zeroed clear to 1500 yards. And I know I have a barrel that shoots in the threes the original Barrel and like I said I was bored so last night I swapped barrels today clean Barrel shot Fowler shots took 15 before it started shooting good, like most Savages 15 to 20 rounds before you will see any Improvement there is very very small chatter marks in Barrel but after 15 or 20 rounds they disappear and then the barrel is a Hummer don't really have to clean Barrel till like four hundred rounds. Also I have read before a few times that reloader 17 is an aggressive powder I believe they said it has caused throat cracking and erosion in 308 in as little of 500 to 800 rounds has anyone else heard of this?

CBIshooter
04-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Also not knocking shilen barrels they are top-tier Barrel manufacturers in the world... well one of them anyhow

Shortbox4x4
04-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Like was said previously. Put it on and go shoot it!

As long as the new lug as also was pointed out allowed the action to fit the stock the same as the old lug you shouldn’t have a problem.

I just rebuilt two original 112V J series single shot rifles. One back to the original caliber in .223 Rem. For my 12 year old boy. I got new o.s. Recoil lugs and double pinned them to the actions. That way they will never loose there place/timing on the receiver/stock assy. Reused the original barrel nuts. Both guns are hammers.

We pinned the lugs at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions.

The other gun went from a burnt out .243win. To a 6BRA.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

CBIshooter
04-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Hello Frank from bartlein barrels can't wait to try one of your barrels someday. Did you ever get the 6.5 mm 150 grain smk shooting out of your 1 in 7 twist project I heard about a while back?