PDA

View Full Version : Would you try to go lower with this scope?

Sled
04-06-2019, 04:11 PM
This is mounted with Burris Extreme medium rings. I was hesitant to try lows because I wanted to make sure I could get the sunshade and flip caps on, and the store I was at didn't carry lows anyway. But this still seems kind of high above the bore..... would you go with it, or try to get lower rings?

https://oi832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/sldavis2155/20190406_083607.jpg (https://s832.photobucket.com/user/sldavis2155/media/20190406_083607.jpg.html)

Underdog
04-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Before you make any changes, close your eyes and mount the rifle to your shoulder in your natural shooting position and open your eyes. You'll know right away where your scope needs to go, up, down, forward, or backwards. My scopes sit a tad high on my rifles compared to most peoples, but it's most comfortable to me that way. Everyone's head and cheeks are different, comfort is most important.

scootergisme
04-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Amen to what Underdog said. Shootability is what matters, not looks.

celltech
04-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Slam it!!! Just looks sooooo cool :cool:

CFJunkie
04-06-2019, 05:31 PM
I, too, agree with Underdog. Naturally setting up behind the optical center of a scope is just about mandatory if you expect to get a consistent set-up.
If you have trouble just lifting the rifle and naturally finding your eye right on the optical center of the scope, you may not be able to comfortably use high magnification settings.

But there is one advantage of having some space between the front optic and the barrel, assuming you can get comfortably behind the optic center of the scope with the scope mounted that high.
Having some added space between the front bell and the barrel will minimize the effect of heat as the barrel gets hot.
It the scope is down really close to the barrel, you will quickly see heat effects when you aim at the target, assuming you shoot groups.

(I admit that I am most comfortable with the front optic of scopes less than 1/4 inch above the barrel. But I also use scopes with very large front objectives - 50 to 56mm - with high magnification, so the scope tubes are about as far from the barrel as the scope you have mounted - looks like a 1-inch tube with a 40mm front optic from the picture.)

In the warm weather, I can barely shoot 5-rounds without seeing some heat distortion because the front optic is so close to the barrel.
I often have to blow down top of the rifle barrel while aiming to get the heat waves to settle out when I am shooting the 5th shot.

Sled
04-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Well, this is an Accufit stock, so I can adjust the height of the cheekpiece. I think it would be comfortable with either. It's a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective... 5x25x50.

Sled
04-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Yes, I don't care so much about looks, as if this was my hunting rig I wouldn't give a second thought. I'm just new to ranges past 300 yds and didn't know if this would be a hindrance

Buck_Up
04-06-2019, 09:08 PM
I would go lower. Personal preference, I prefer my scopes low, close to the barrel. Having said that, I am primarily using my rifles for hunting, occasionally range shooting to test out reloads.

Robinhood
04-06-2019, 09:22 PM
That F-class/prone rail isn't helping

Tsb3
04-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Exactly what Underdog said.

big honkin jeep
04-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Medium rings with standard bases would be perfect. it's the "tacticool" rail that's got it sitting up so high.
Not sure if the accufit will raise it that much or not. Though I have nearly the same rifle with a darn factory EGW rail, and dont shoot Looong range, my personal preference is for medium dual dovetail bases and rings. Rock solid and lots more room around the loading/ ejection port.

Sled
04-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Yeah, that's the 20moa rail came on the rifle. I'm starting to consider removing it....

CFJunkie
04-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Sled,

For a 30mm tube with a 50mm front objective, for me, that scope would be mounted too high.
I would change the rail as suggested by the posters above.
I had a similar rail that came mounted on a Model 11 and had to change it.
For me, it just is too hard to get consistently set up with a scope mounted too high and that really messes up accuracy.

If the position isn't comfortable and repeatable, you'll see it in your group sizes.

PhilC
04-07-2019, 10:33 AM
I used Extreme medium rings when I mounted the scope on my 12FV but chose the Weaver 20moa base and works well for me.

Robinhood
04-07-2019, 11:21 AM
That scope has a parallax adjustment. If used properly it would be good enough for hunting in my opinion. I would only fix it if I had money to burn, or it just did not work for me. As long as you can get the cheek piece right you are good to go. Look at a lot of chassis rifles. Especially the XLR with the tube forend.

Newtosavage
04-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Before you make any changes, close your eyes and mount the rifle to your shoulder in your natural shooting position and open your eyes. You'll know right away where your scope needs to go, up, down, forward, or backwards. My scopes sit a tad high on my rifles compared to most peoples, but it's most comfortable to me that way. Everyone's head and cheeks are different, comfort is most important.

I was about to say the same thing. Comb height and face build will determine how high or low your scope should be. I have low rings on some of mine, and mediums on others. It all depends on the comb height.

Sled
04-07-2019, 09:08 PM
Well, after playing with it for awhile, while it's not as close to the bore as I would like, it fits just about perfect. Guess I'll leave it alone and go shooting...