PDA

View Full Version : Flip-up Scope cap covers

Farflung
04-03-2019, 11:50 AM
I'm getting ready to put flip-ups on two new and one existing scopes that I have. For the past 35 years, I have been using Butler Creek flip-ups and have been pretty pleased. But the last 10 years, the larger (40 mm and larger) Objective caps have been breaking right at the point where the cover joins to the hinge. It looks like they have reduced the amount of material at that point and perhaps changed the composition of the caps. Anyway, I am looking for alternative caps.

The ones I have found on the internet are Vortex (two different designs/prices), Monstrum Tactical Rubberized flip-ups and Shimit EP flip-ups. I guess what i'm looking for is toughness and good sealing from Water. Does anyone here have experience with any of these brands or other brands?

SageRat Shooter
04-03-2019, 11:56 AM
I have been thinking about putting the Vortex Defender caps on my scope/rifle, as they seem to be better than Butler Creek. I have not used them though... But they seem to be the next best option to Butler Creek. I have heard that the cap for the ocular lens has a tendency to slip off when trying to be opened with one hand.

mudpig
04-03-2019, 12:22 PM
The Vortex Defenders are great options and I love the way they fold back and out of line of sight. As stated above, I have had issues with them slipping when trying to flip open with one hand. I think the fix is going to be a wrap of electrical tape on the objective tube, then install the cap over that....increasing grip.

Farflung
04-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Sagerat and mudpig- thxs for the responses. I generally use some electrical tape, but on the outside to further seal against moisture. The vortex defenders look good to me also.

PhilC
04-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Have the Defenders on my HSLR and they work well, like others the ocular end isn't as tight as it could be, but that can be easily remedied.

Farflung
04-03-2019, 06:50 PM
PhilC- how do you remedy the lack of tightness?

Sled
04-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Pay a little bit more and get these.....

http://www.aadmount.com/Caps/Caps.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCShQwr5pQ

Farflung
04-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Sled- they look like great caps...... but the price!!! I guess I am going to give 1 set of Vortex defenders a try, and if they work out good I'll get the rest that I need. Thx for the reply.

celltech
04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
It's shocking how much these "premium" lens caps cost....talk about a profit margin.

Stumpkiller
04-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Yoiks. Does that include the anti-glare honeycomb ARD filter?

Glad my old Butler Creeks are still holding up.

Knock wood - I have four sets in play and no breakage.

DeltaNu1142
04-05-2019, 01:00 PM
I have the Vortex Defenders and I find the reports that they slip/don't grip hard to believe. It could be a sizing issue. I have a 50mm objective (lens), but the OD of the bell is 58mm. I made the mistake of ordering an objective cap for 50mm, which is way too small. It still fit, albeit with some stretching. I eventually got the right size, and that one fit fine, too.

As for the operation... I love these things. Highly recommended.

Farflung
04-11-2019, 08:13 PM
a quick thought on the Butler Creek caps. I have had a problem with the hinge pin working its way out, especially when moving through the woods with the cap open. I solved that by replacing the pins with small fillister head machine screws. The ones that I used are .83 inches in overall length with a .07 outside thread diameter. I slide the screw in, pushing the pin out. I put a drop or blue loctite or nail polish on the last couple of threads. Tighten the nut till it is just snug with the hinge, making sure that it is not so tight that the cap does not swing freely. I've done this with a lot of scopes.

yoda4x4
04-12-2019, 10:12 AM
a quick thought on the Butler Creek caps. I have had a problem with the hinge pin working its way out, especially when moving through the woods with the cap open. I solved that by replacing the pins with small fillister head machine screws. The ones that I used are .83 inches in overall length with a .07 outside thread diameter. I slide the screw in, pushing the pin out. I put a drop or blue loctite or nail polish on the last couple of threads. Tighten the nut till it is just snug with the hinge, making sure that it is not so tight that the cap does not swing freely. I've done this with a lot of scopes.Can you tell me what the thread size was for this? And where did you buy the screws from? Thanks!

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

PhilC
04-12-2019, 10:19 AM
PhilC- how do you remedy the lack of tightness?
Sorry for the late reply, somehow missed your question. Wrap some black electrical tape around the ocular end then slip cap over. Add more if necessary. Mine doesn't slip much, but it does move and I haven't added tape yet.

DeltaNu1142 - The objective end cover is tight and doesn't slip, the ocular end does and I ordered direct from Vortex using my specific scope model, HSLR 4 - 16 x 44mm.

DeltaNu1142
04-12-2019, 10:35 AM
The objective end cover is tight and doesn't slip, the ocular end does and I ordered direct from Vortex using my specific scope model, HSLR 4 - 16 x 44mm.
My Viper eyepiece measures 46.05mm, and I'm using the E-10 flip cover. Based on how tight it is, I would expect that to be the one you'd use for a 44mm eyepiece.