PDA

View Full Version : What I think is a great Ballistics proggram

Pages : 1 [2]

rmeyerwy
04-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Been using Strelok Pro for several years now with no issues. I'm guessing there was a serious data entry error in the above example of it being way off compared to AB. I've tried AB as well and to me it wasn't as intuitive or user friendly.

Where I think most people run into problems with such apps not being accurate is when shooting factory loaded ammo and just using the claimed muzzle velocity from the manufacturer rather than getting a true MV reading of the ammo from their rifle with a chronograph. The difference in MV between a 18" barrel and a 26" barrel can be a couple hundred FPS which makes a significatn difference in drop at longer distances.

I don't, well I didn't have a chronograph, but I just tracked down my new magnetspeed sporter and its at the PO! yay! anyway, that is what I did is plugged in the mfg stated data, and I have noticed that while both Hornandy and strelok pro are pretty much the same, both are a little bit high in MOA adjustments, I assume the data is in or out off a 24" barrel, the 12v has 26" so perhaps that is a contributing factor, but at any rate, it gets me on target. Thanks Mr. Baker for the assistance.

Ryfulman
04-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Looks to me like “your friend” has confused mils and MOA,as 14 MOA is pretty darn close to 5 mils.
That being said Vortex has a free ballistics calculator that also has reticle range options and will give actual yards for their bdc reticles as elk as the Christmas tree type reticles too,making holdovers a breeze. I just print out the grid and tape it to my buttstock. I itch 36moa of drop right on the reticle I can holdover up to and past 1000 meters,cartridge dependent.
The vortex ballistics calculator also allows the user to input a different manufacturers reticle,thus giving the shooter actual yards for their particular scope.
Did I mention the vortex ballistics calculator is free

Orr89rocz
04-11-2019, 08:15 AM
I am using Shooter app. Also tried Hornady and they both seem the same with the calcs

i tried it last weekend once i had muzzle velocity measured from the chrony. Sighted in at 200, the program predicted a certain elevation for 300 and it was on. I plan to try it out farther when i can. 450 or so is about as far as i can try locally

i might try it with my 458 win mag lol pretty close to sighted in at 100 and its rate of drop to 300 would be an interesting test lol

rmeyerwy
04-11-2019, 09:07 AM
lol..yea that 458 would be similar to a mortar round wouldn't it? :p

Orr89rocz
04-11-2019, 09:16 AM
lol..yea that 458 would be similar to a mortar round wouldn't it? :p

300 grain hollow point at 2400. My light deer brush load. 0.197 bc lol. Its got a BDC reticle nikon scope so curious how accurate the circles are. Granted i never will shoot any game over 100 yrds with this thing unless i ever decide to go elk hunting in timber out west with a buddy of mine, but i’d rather use something else

yobuck
04-11-2019, 09:39 AM
For l/r hunting, its best to just have a chart made up based on the load your using and average data as for temp, elevation, etc for the location your hunting, and have that taped onto the stock. 50 yard intervels for the number of clicks needed works pretty well.
Problem with using devices is that as a rule time wont permit using them. A rutting buck chasing a doe wont be waiting around for you to gather data. Beyond that, your attention needs to be focused on him and not any device. Nothing beats lead in the air until theres no longer a need for it to be there. Otherwise it usually ends up as a shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Orr89rocz
04-11-2019, 09:59 AM
For l/r hunting, its best to just have a chart made up based on the load your using and average data as for temp, elevation, etc for the location your hunting, and have that taped onto the stock. 50 yard intervels for the number of clicks needed works pretty well.
Problem with using devices is that as a rule time wont permit using them. A rutting buck chasing a doe wont be waiting around for you to gather data. Beyond that, your attention needs to be focused on him and not any device. Nothing beats lead in the air until theres no longer a need for it to be there. Otherwise it usually ends up as a shoulda, coulda, woulda.

i kinda agree but depends on the type of hunting im doing. 90% of the time for me is sitting and waiting for game to appear. I have time to know my spot, range all shooting lanes and spots, kinda memorize yardage and dope. The program Shooter is fast. Open, two quick click selections, and press calc its there. Literally 2-3 seconds since data is stored. Bout the same it takes to look at a print out which i also do sometimes. But yeah if you are stalking around and come out in a field clearing and spot moving game across the hill, you may only have time to range and read a quick dope. No time to reach into pocket and grab phone ap lol

yobuck
04-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Well at least in the eastern part of the country, you wont be finding many serious l/r hunters moving about while hunting.
For the most part it is done from a fixed location, selected because of the opportunity for glassing for game and shooting at the desired distances.
Opportunity for that isn't as plentifull in the East as it is in many areas of the West where hunters moving about and glassing as they go is more common.
So in reality the hunting part consist of sitting on your butt and looking thru binnoculars for possibly the entire day from the same place.
Not really much different as for the hunting part than someone choosing to sit in a tree stand or sit on a stump waiting for an opportunity.
If you happen to find a nice buck laying down at lets say 700 yds, then of coarse you would have the needed time to set things up for a shot however you wish. That would be an ideal situation, but not one to be counted on as happening very often in the real world.
For the most part, any deer that might be within the area your glassing, will be seen within a short time after you arrive.
Therefore you will be counting on others coming into that area from other areas you cant see. What caused them to move will affect how they react after you find them. Quite often they will stay on the move only stopping for brief periods, and often in places not offering a clear shot. So having an alternet solution to whatever your preferred method is could make or break your whole hunt.
Anyway, when you get right down to it how was it being done before these apps and devices were part of the environment?

Orr89rocz
04-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Quite often they will stay on the move only stopping for brief periods, and often in places not offering a clear shot. So having an alternet solution to whatever your preferred method is could make or break your whole hunt.
Anyway, when you get right down to it how was it being done before these apps and devices were part of the environment?

Yeah if your on target tracking an animal on the move waiting for a chance to shoot you need a quick range and dope reading, I understand that. Print out is valuable. Knowing your rifle and load from experience shooting is the only true way to do it. Know exactly what it takes to dial in at ranges and practice those ranges. You owe it to the animal you are trying to kill cleanly. The apps can help simulate your results tho, and can make small adjustments for different comditions in the environment like temp angle and wind. In the end its part experience and part guess. Wind swirls or gusts lol things happen. I’ll use all 3 ways