PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun U.S. Military Savage 720 shotgun choke markings

Subgun45
03-31-2019, 09:59 PM
​Hello, I need some help with a Savage 720 U.S. Military shotgun. I have a 720 Aerial training shotgun and it has **** asterisks on the barrel. I thought this would denote that this gun has a full choke. That being said I would think that * would designate a Cylinder bore, ** would mean improved cylinder, *** modified, **** full choke. Can anyone clear this up for me ? Thanks

Subgun45
03-31-2019, 10:32 PM
​Hello, I need some help with a Savage 720 U.S. Military shotgun. I have a 720 Aerial training shotgun and it has **** asterisks on the barrel. I thought this would denote that this gun has a full choke. That being said I would think that * would designate a Cylinder bore, ** would mean improved cylinder, *** modified, **** full choke. Can anyone clear this up for me ? Thanks
P.S. Canfield says *** denotes Cylinder bore and **** denotes a full choke

Mad Dog
04-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Canfield is correct, Back in the Utica days Savage used asterisks to denote the bore.

* was full choke down to **** for cylinder bore. Nice find though!

Subgun45
04-02-2019, 09:34 PM
I am still confused on the choke asterisk. Bruce Canfield says that *** asterisks denotes a Riot Gun. He stated that **** asterisks denotes a full choke. Every Aerial training gun I have seen has **** asterisks. I don't see how *** could be cylinder bore and **** asterisks is a full choke. It just does not make sense to me.

Mad Dog
04-03-2019, 05:05 PM
He's incorrect, I have a page here from Savage Arms pre-1940 stating * is full and **** is cylinder bore.

Not sure how else to prove it to you unless you would like a copy of it.

Subgun45
04-07-2019, 05:39 PM
I emailed Bruce Canfield and he said that only two choke markings were used on military contract Savage shotguns. He said this applies to military contract guns only. *** 3 after asterisks for cylinder bore and **** for full choke Aerial training guns. I have an Aerial training gun and it has 4 asterisks. I guess that clears it up for me.