PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Hunter opinions

Underdog
03-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Several months ago I purchased a Savage 11 trophy hunter xp in 223, this one is the youth model with the 20" barrel. I've since replaced the scope and mounts with better more secure options. I've had it out 5 times shooting standard store bought ammo, pmc 55gr, federal 55gr and norma 55gr. It was just a so so shooter and usually averaged about 3" at 100 yards and I figured it was just my shooting ability off a bench with just a front bag as a rest. My friend gave me some hand loads to try out, all 55 gr with cfe223 powder and nosler varmageddon bullets. Well lets just say that I am impressed and this is a whole new rifle for sure. 3 rounds all touching at 80 yards and the rifle was dirty when I tried these. I've had a rcbs reloading kit set up on a nice bench for the last 6 months but never really got around to using it, but I will be now. I've heard rave reviews of Savage rifles many times over but never really experienced anything spectacular with them for myself first hand. I guess because I've always shot factory ammo and never really took the time to create my own recipe. Thanks for listening to my story and your comments are welcome.

Ted_Feasel
03-31-2019, 05:22 PM
Several months ago I purchased a Savage 11 trophy hunter xp in 223, this one is the youth model with the 20" barrel. I've since replaced the scope and mounts with better more secure options. I've had it out 5 times shooting standard store bought ammo, pmc 55gr, federal 55gr and norma 55gr. It was just a so so shooter and usually averaged about 3" at 100 yards and I figured it was just my shooting ability off a bench with just a front bag as a rest. My friend gave me some hand loads to try out, all 55 gr with cfe223 powder and nosler varmageddon bullets. Well lets just say that I am impressed and this is a whole new rifle for sure. 3 rounds all touching at 80 yards and the rifle was dirty when I tried these. I've had a rcbs reloading kit set up on a nice bench for the last 6 months but never really got around to using it, but I will be now. I've heard rave reviews of Savage rifles many times over but never really experienced anything spectacular with them for myself first hand. I guess because I've always shot factory ammo and never really took the time to create my own recipe. Thanks for listening to my story and your comments are welcome.I've had many savages and do have several. Some have been just acceptable, others tac drivers. You can do alot with a savage, they make a good base for a precision build, basically a shilen or criterion barrel away from same hole shooters. I have a 11 xp trophy hunter 308 with a shilen barrel that will put them in the same whole at 200 yards. I think they are a pretty good rifle for the money.. just my 2 cents:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

charlie b
03-31-2019, 08:34 PM
My .223 was the same. Most std ammo does not group well. Premium ammo, such as Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match, group almost as well as my handloads. I have also had bad luck with budget bullets when hand loading. I use Sierra Matchking or Nosler match bullets. Since I shoot to longer ranges I like the 69 and 77gn bullets.

hamiltonkiler
03-31-2019, 09:01 PM
My savage fits my personality for multiple reasons. One being I can tinker with it in my shop/she with minimum tools.
Bedding the front lug and action.
Sanding out the fore end for barrel clearance.
Stuffing and weighting the stock.
Adding a comb to the stock.
Cutting and crowning.
Polishing the trigger sear and trimming the spring.

With a tiny target dot in a scope or fine cross hairs you can really hold it in the middle of the target and squeeze.

Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpkiller
03-31-2019, 09:20 PM
I have the M11 Trophy Hunter XP in .260 Rem. First thing I did was throw out the rings and put the Nikon non-model scope on a "kitchen door" varmint rifle I use for garden/coyote shots of opportunity. I installed Warne steel rings. Original steel base was OK but one screw was overlong and needed to be shortened to properly seat the base. Others were not tightly torqued down. That's not good for accuracy. (These steps were done before I shot the rifle for the first time).

I put a Nikon Prostaff 3 BDC scope on that I had on hand. I also replaced the synthetic stock (which was entirely adequate for hunting) and aluminum pillared and also glass bedded a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate stock. While I was at that I swapped a metal trigger guard.

The basic M11 action is strong and well designed. The AccuTrigger is nice. Not thrilled with the Axis style magazine catch . . . but then again it seems to work and hasn't let me down. I purchased the rifle intending to make some modifications (I actually went looking for a different brand in 7mm-08) and this one was presented at a discount because - for unknown reasons - the .260 Rem didn't move at this store. They also didn't have any loaded ammo or dies in the store. Go figure.

Out of the box it would shoot 1-1/2" five shots at 100 yards with either Federal Matching 140 gr or hand-loaded 143 gr ELD-X (took my buck this past fall with the ELD-X. Nice!). Good enough out of the box but fun to tweak. Now I am getting around 1 MOA with my 130 gr handholds and I think I can shave that down a hair with more work. Because it's a hunting rifle I am trying to get the most accurate upper velocity load. Taking a tip from J.Baker I put a rubber pad in the barrel channel to put some upward pressure on the light barrel. Now I am tweeking size and placement. I also use a torque wrench to repeatably set the action bolts. Little things that add up to accuracy.

DQL5150
04-01-2019, 05:57 AM
I have the same rifle in 22-250. Bought it new for an inexpensive truck/tractor gun. I swapped out the bases and rings for a DNZ one piece mount and retained the Nikon scope. I shot it for the first time recently with a variety of factory stuff with the intent of "seasoning" the barrel before handloading for it. First three shots out of this barrel were touching at 100 yds. Pretty impressed so far with this rifle. It's pencil barrel heats up quickly so give it a rest between groups. Best of luck and keep us posted with your progress.

TXRoadlizard
04-01-2019, 07:55 AM
I own a Model 110 TH in .270 Winchester. I don't think I've ever shot a 5-shot group with this rifle, but it has killed many deer with one shot. I don't see the TH as a precision rifle and don't expect the .270 to put multiple bullets touching at 100-yards. It has a thin sport-profile barrel and a cheap plastic stock. The Nikon scope that came with the package is just OK. Again, my TH is deadly and puts down deer within 150-yards (the longest shot I can take where I hunt) cleanly and efficiently. It is stupid-light and easy to carry all day long on a hunt.

I also have a 12FV in .223 that I have replaced the stock with a Choate Tactical + CDI Bottom Metal for AICS Magazines, added Warne Steel Rings and a nice scope, bipod, etc. and it will put 5-shots touching at 100-yards. This .223 weighs (14.7#) almost 3X what my .270 TH weighs! The TH in its stock form isn't meant to be a precision rifle, it is meant to kill game. Not saying you shouldn't try to squeeze accuracy out of it if that's your thing, just that one should temper ones expectations. If you're looking for a bench gun that can be phenomenally accurate with some upgrading, take a look at the Savage 12FV. They can be had for under $250 (with rebates and sale) out the door at Cabela's certain times of the year.

Underdog
04-02-2019, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, great info. I'm going to lighten the trigger a bit and play around with a pressure pad at the end of the stock, I've had good success with this in the past. Also handloading for it is a must since I've seen first hand what this rifle can do. I'll keep this thread updated with my results.

DQL5150
04-02-2019, 06:23 AM
I'm going to lighten the trigger a bit and play around with a pressure pad at the end of the stock, I've had good success with this in the past. Also handloading for it is a must since I've seen first hand what this rifle can do. I'll keep this thread updated with my results.

As for lightening the trigger, consider this. Savage centerfire rifles can have one of three different accutriggers, depending on that rifle's purpose. Your Trophy Hunter came with Savage's "standard" accutrigger , which is adjustable down to approximately 2.5 lbs.

You can pretty easily (and safely) swap in this spring,
http://www.gunshack.com/savage-accu-trigger-target-spring-105270-sav105270-adjustable%20trigger?manufacturer_id=11, for a pull adjustable to about 1.5 lbs.

Orr89rocz
04-02-2019, 07:38 AM
As for lightening the trigger, consider this. Savage centerfire rifles can have one of three different accutrigger springs, depending on that rifle's purpose. Your Trophy Hunter came with Savage's "standard" accutrigger , which is adjustable down to approximately 2.5 lbs.

You can pretty easily (and safely) swap in this spring,
http://www.gunshack.com/savage-accu-trigger-target-spring-105270-sav105270-adjustable%20trigger?manufacturer_id=11, for a pull adjustable to about 1.5 lbs.

i’m curious about this. Do all trophy hunters have standard springs? I got 2 different guns, one hog hunter one trophy hunter with accutriggers and they both can be adjusted welll below 2.5 lbs. its scary light. I like them better than my rifle basix

strut64
04-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Bought a mod 11 trophy hunter XP chambered n 204Ruger. I did not like The 204. So I sold the barrel and got a 223 sporter take-off barrel that really shoots nice. Then a 243 sporter take off wth appropriate bolt head and magazine. That shoots well also. Then a bought another 223 varmint barrel (still waiting to wring that barrel out) along with a Boyds pro-varmint lamnated stock. So yes I am a commited Savage fan.

DQL5150
04-06-2019, 09:04 AM
i’m curious about this. Do all trophy hunters have standard springs? I got 2 different guns, one hog hunter one trophy hunter with accutriggers and they both can be adjusted welll below 2.5 lbs. its scary light. I like them better than my rifle basix

It's my understanding that hunting rifles with sporter barrels came from the factory with a standard accutrigger that was adjustable down to 2.5 lbs.

Underdog
04-06-2019, 11:23 AM
My trophy hunter came with the standard spring, I swapped it out for the target spring. It does make a difference and achieves a lighter trigger. The stock spring can also be tweaked (clipped and stretched) with good results. A 2 or 2.5 lb trigger is fine for my needs, no lighter.