PDA

View Full Version : Center feed, fed up

JSH
03-26-2019, 04:18 PM
I am about to pull my hair out, both of them.
To put is as nice as I can I dislike these center feed magazines, blind and detachable.
So to make it simple I want a single shot follower, but oh no one makes them. Or I have to modify one.
Dont know about the rest of the folks but I had zero issues with any of my stagger feed actions, long, short, fat or skinny they worked.
If some one can direct me to a source I would give two of them a try. Otherwise I am about to liquidate these center feeds and chase around some of the stagger feed actions.

Jeff

sharpshooter
03-26-2019, 04:26 PM
So what caliber are you having trouble with?

scootergisme
03-26-2019, 04:41 PM
https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ and go to the "Loading Ramps" tab.

JSH
03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Scooter, I emailed them several months back just to check availability, no response.

JSH
03-26-2019, 06:48 PM
So what caliber are you having trouble with?

I just dislike loading them. Fat fingers and a dose of arthritis, try to fish them into the mag under a scope, not my cup of tea.
May old stagger feeds,to run single shot, throw one on top of the follower and it would eat about anything. The straight feed will fall to one side or the other.

PhilC
03-27-2019, 05:58 PM
You're not alone, I never had a problem with stagger feed either, singly or from the mag.

RustyShackle
03-27-2019, 09:53 PM
I’m of the opinion that the stagger feed is the superior of the two. It’s cheaper for savage to make the centerfeed action. Higher profit margins and they correct a problem that never really existed. Win win.

efm77
03-28-2019, 06:14 AM
I guess I’m the oddball. I only have one stagger feed and it’s a PITA to load. I need to play with the feed lips. They’re too tight and make it really hard to load a round. Then it scratches the heck out of the brass. Sorta turned me off from them and went to center feeds ever since. When I single load, I just push them toward the chamber slightly before pushing the bolt forward and it works perfect.

big honkin jeep
03-28-2019, 04:13 PM
2 piece scope bases may help alleviate some of the fat fingers problem. They provide noticeably more room at the loading/ejection port. Personally I dont swap scopes much and prefer a set of dual dovetails. Rock solid setup.

Just a thought.

Barneyhunts
03-28-2019, 09:51 PM
I just dislike loading them. Fat fingers and a dose of arthritis, try to fish them into the mag under a scope, not my cup of tea.
May old stagger feeds,to run single shot, throw one on top of the follower and it would eat about anything. The straight feed will fall to one side or the other.
JSH, I had a similar problem loading my Mod.11 LRH and I changed it to a detachable magazine. Worked well for me.