PDA

View Full Version : 260 Rem LRP Accuracy (update)

rmkey
03-23-2019, 07:45 PM
I want to thank all the members who have made suggestions concerning the LRP. My goal was to reach 0.5 moa. I want to share what I found. I am seeing 0.45 moa with Berger 140g hunter hybrid just touching the lands. Incredibly, I am seeing 0.25 moa with Berger 130 AR hybrids, again touching the lands (0.000 jam) 39.5g H4350 CCI BR2. The main thing is patience. This is totally a factory Savage. I found the action screws were not properly torqued and I cleaned up the barrel with David Tubbs Final finish. This has made a world of difference in accuracy for my barrel. I am using Tubbs throat maintenance kit as recommended. Needless to say the Berger 130 AR will be my go to bullet with the 140 hunter elite (hybrid) a close enough second.
I had about given up on the factory LRP but patience pays. The Savage will shoot! For anyone interested I tossed the Caldwel lead sled. I am using Caldwell bag front and a wedge bag rear. I am shooting using the free recoil technique off the bags. It wouldn’t work with a lighter gun. Also, a Vortex viper at 20x.
Again, thanks to all.

JW
03-24-2019, 06:19 AM
Good news on finding the load
Sometimes it takes more time than others but the end result is a good reward
Plus one on the front bag and rear wedge, I never have been able to shoot consistent small groups off a sled.
Jack

jim_k
03-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the update! I've been telling people to use the Tubb Final Finish system. It has made a difference when I've used it, too. I also recommend the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I have not worked up a load that did not reach 1/2 MOA or less at mag length. Hopefully, that will avoid having to chase the lands.

want2ride
03-24-2019, 11:55 AM
My brother's 260 LRP also shot best with 130's.

rmkey
03-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the update! I've been telling people to use the Tubb Final Finish system. It has made a difference when I've used it, too. I also recommend the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I have not worked up a load that did not reach 1/2 MOA or less at mag length. Hopefully, that will avoid having to chase the lands.
Thanks. I think it was you that recommended Tubbs. It works wonders for a factory barrel. Also according to Zeidker the throat maintenance bullets polishes the throat and can extend barrel life 20-25%. It only takes a couple rounds every 100 rounds. I have the Hornady ELDs but haven’t tested yet. Berger told me you likely would not see a more accurate bullet than the 130 AR in their lineup. I tested at mag length and others but reserved a 0.00 jam for last resort. Bingo. they are not actually jammed into the lands so no problem to eject a loaded round. I will get to the ELDs though.

Ryfulman
03-28-2019, 11:37 PM
Isn’t that Tubb system just polishing the throat,which can be done with valve grinding compound? Essentially it’s using a bullet to lap the barrels throttle. It’s a neat idea and I’m glad to hear it does work and isn’t a gimmick,not that I believe David tubb would put his name on something that didn’t perform as advertised. David Tubb is why I started coating my bullets with hbn. Great shooter and a valuable resource to the sport.

rmkey
03-29-2019, 01:20 AM
No the final finish actually removes 0.002 to 0.003 metal from the entire barrel length depending on the barrel. That’s where I saw considerable accuracy improvement. The Tubbs throat maintenance just polishes and helps with Fire cracking in the throat. A couple rounds per100 shots. I have come to trust David Tubbs and I am going to repeat the process on my 308 factory barrel. Final finish is not recommended for custom hand lapped barrels. I to use HBN on all my bullets.