PDA

View Full Version : Recrowning Savage barrels

Pages : [1] 2

Newtosavage
03-23-2019, 07:11 PM
On Friday, I cut a Savage factory 22" barrel down to 20" for the third time. Two of those were .308 barrels and this one was a 6.5 CM - all sporter profiles.

I am cutting and crowning these barrels with common hand tools. Hacksaw - Dremel rotary stone - File - Sandpaper - Large brass screw chucked in hand drill - Birchwood Casey cold blue pen.

In all three cases, the "garage" crown job produced better groups than the factory crown.

Has anyone else had this experience?

grouse
03-23-2019, 08:47 PM
A proper crowning tool is not that expensive and saves a lot of time

celltech
03-23-2019, 08:51 PM
I have cut several barrels down and crowned with a shell deburring tool. They all shoot 1/2 moa. I read an article once where they tried to mangle a crown and could not get the groups to open up. A couple of shots smoothed out any damage they did.

Newtosavage
03-23-2019, 10:18 PM
A proper crowning tool is not that expensive and saves a lot of time

Maybe so, but what I have in my garage has, so far, been better than whatever they are using at the Savage factory. Which is the point of this post.

Newtosavage
03-23-2019, 10:20 PM
I have cut several barrels down and crowned with a shell deburring tool. They all shoot 1/2 moa. I read an article once where they tried to mangle a crown and could not get the groups to open up. A couple of shots smoothed out any damage they did.

I'm inclined to believe this after my experience. I think so long as you can cut the barrel reasonably square, you're probably good to go.

grouse
03-23-2019, 10:25 PM
It’s probably a shorter stiffer barrel resulting in better accuracy. Not likely the crown.

Robinhood
03-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Hmm, You mean my iscar and the 11 degree crown I have been doing is a waste? :(

Newtosavage
03-23-2019, 11:39 PM
It’s probably a shorter stiffer barrel resulting in better accuracy. Not likely the crown.

I figure that has something to do with it.

Newtosavage
03-23-2019, 11:40 PM
Hmm, You mean my iscar and the 11 degree crown I have been doing is a waste? :(

Not if it gives you confidence. ;)

charlie b
03-24-2019, 07:32 AM
If you read Pope's work you will find one part where he sliced the muzzle at something like 20 deg and it only changed poi slightly, no group change. And that was with cast bullets.

Robinhood
03-24-2019, 10:11 AM
It would be interesting to see what those same experiments would do at longer ranges.

6.5savageguy
03-24-2019, 02:19 PM
I hacksawed a barrel once then faced it off with a flat file and lightly touched the bore with a coned shape dremmel. It shot as good or better than the factory crown job.

tobnpr
03-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Likely so, harmonics are changed when a barrel's length is altered. It is unlikely the factory crowns were actually detrimental to accuracy- which one would have to believe to attribute the gain in accuracy to the re-crown.

Newtosavage
03-24-2019, 07:24 PM
I hacksawed a barrel once then faced it off with a flat file and lightly touched the bore with a coned shape dremmel. It shot as good or better than the factory crown job.

Yup.

This is all the barrel did today...

Keep in mind, this is a 7 lb. rifle with a 2-7x scope on it.

Newtosavage
03-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Likely so, harmonics are changed when a barrel's length is altered. It is unlikely the factory crowns were actually detrimental to accuracy- which one would have to believe to attribute the gain in accuracy to the re-crown.

So 3 for 3 could be a coincidence. Or not.

Texas10
03-25-2019, 02:20 PM
I remember reading an overview of the experiences gained in "The Secrets of the Houston Warehouse" by David Scott
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/10/18/secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-lessons-in-extreme-rifle-accuracy/
where Virgil King stated that for a 6ppc, the barrel "must be 21 3/4 inches long for maximum accuracy".

Since barrel length has everything to do with harmonics, and some of us use harmonic tuners just for that reason, it's not inconceivable that you hit upon a better harmonic than the factory length barrel by cutting and crowning your barrels. In the end, I am a firm believer that anything you do to improve your confidence in yourself or equipment is probably well worth the effort expended and will benefit and add to your shooting skills.

For entire article go here: http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

Edit: I just re-read the above full article and would like to correct the 21 3/4" reference. That length of barrel did not apply just to the 22PPC, it applied to all the calibers he tested, .22, 6mm, and 30 cal.
Every barrel he had made was cut to 21 3/4 inch and target crowned. Didn't matter what contour, it had to be 21 3/4 inch, and setting back a barrel to gain some life ruined the length requirement and would never shoot as well.

RustyShackle
03-25-2019, 02:47 PM

This^

And even though 3/3 have improved, statistically speaking, it’s not enough to categorically claim it’s the road to a more accurate firearm. I’m using that term “accurate” in a very generic definition. With precision vs accuracy being two independent characteristicss.

But if it works, I would keep on keeping on.

Newtosavage
03-25-2019, 04:56 PM
This^

And even though 3/3 have improved, statistically speaking, it’s not enough to categorically claim it’s the road to a more accurate firearm.

Don't think I ever did make that claim. Just seeing a trend. In two of the three cases, I figured I screwed up the crown so bad there is no way it could shoot better. But it did.

RustyShackle
03-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Don't think I ever did make that claim. Just seeing a trend. In two of the three cases, I figured I screwed up the crown so bad there is no way it could shoot better. But it did.

In all three cases, the "garage" crown job produced better groups than the factory crown.

Maybe so, but what I have in my garage has, so far, been better than whatever they are using at the Savage factory. Which is the point of this post.

Possibly that’s just how I read those statements. I’m glad things are working out well for you in the accuracy department.

Newtosavage
03-26-2019, 12:41 AM
Possibly that’s just how I read those statements. I’m glad things are working out well for you in the accuracy department.

Thanks. I was never claiming that hand crowning was the answer. Only sharing my experience. I would say however that anyone considering chopping their own factory Savage barrel, shouldn't be afraid to give it a go.