PDA

View Full Version : New to SavageShooters

Rocketmandb
03-23-2019, 01:06 AM
Hi all - new to the forum and introducing myself. My one Savage rifle is an FCP HS Precision that was originally chambered in 300 WM, but I recently rechambered to 300 PRC and am currently doing load development on. I've added a KMW Loggerhead cheek riser (love it) and the new barrel is a 28" 1-9 Bartlein with an APA Lil Bastard brake. My passion is long range target shooting. I used to take the 300 WM out past 1000 yards, and am looking forward to pushing the 300 PRC even farther (if I can find the sight lines somewhere). Pic of the rifle at a nearby private range during recent load testing. Pretty good results with the new cartridge so far.

https://imgur.com/hUt1b56
https://i.imgur.com/hUt1b56.jpg
https://imgur.com/hUt1b56

drybean
03-23-2019, 01:49 AM
Welcome aboard

Lclevenger
03-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Welcome. What do you think of the 300 PRC so far? I have been reading a lot on it. What kind of brass are you using? Heard that it’s hard to use the hornady brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketmandb
03-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Welcome. What do you think of the 300 PRC so far? I have been reading a lot on it. What kind of brass are you using? Heard that it’s hard to use the hornady brass

I love the round - hate the brass. I've settled in on using 76.2gr of H1000 with the Hornady 225gr ELD as my starting baseline. With that load on my last trip out (Thursday), I got a 15 fps extreme spread, ~1" group at 200 yards, and roughly 2865 fps. Compare that to when the rifle was chambered in 300 WM, I was shooting 76 gr of H1000 with a 200 gr bullet, 4" shorter barrel, and getting 2840 fps. It is a superior cartridge, no doubt, but until better brass comes available, I will continue to be frustrated with the accuracy and prep. I'm getting 1/2 MOA and should be getting more like .3-.4. Still, I absolutely love the new configuration of my Savage. It feels just right for me and is an absolute blast to shoot. On my load development trip, I launched off 4 fouling rounds (not great loads) at my new steel setup at 750 yards. Even with the mediocre loads, I put 3 of the 4 in about a 1/2 MOA group, and one was outside that. When I get the load set, put my new glass on top, and get some decent brass, I expect this to be a 1500 yard rifle.

I'm also going to be loading up some rounds with Retumbo. I found it to be superior in my ex-300 WM because I had a longer bullet seating, resulting in higher case volume - and it performed slightly better than H1000. However, finding that powder has turned into a unicorn hunt (same with RL26). I wish the reloading industry didn't have such a captive audience with respect to specific components. It breeds bad business practice (like having a product become unobtainable for months at a time). In most other industries, the practices we see with some powders, brass, etc. would put companies out of business [mini rant over - lack of RL26 and Retumbo has just been adding to my Hornady case frustrations].

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm using Hornady brass. It's pretty much the only thing available right now without going through some wacky fireforming with other cartridges.

ttexastom
03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Welcome from northeast georgia

big honkin jeep
03-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Welcome

ragsflh
04-02-2019, 10:55 AM
howdy

mudpig
04-02-2019, 04:05 PM
welcome aboard and keep us posted on the rifle and cartridge.