PDA

View Full Version : Parallax Question

Nub Hippie
03-21-2019, 08:37 AM
My parallax is adjusted with objective lense however the adjustment range starts at 10, goes to 200, then jumps to infinite. I know what parallax is and how it works and how to check for it and that the numbers on the adjustment are just approximations. What I don't understand is what if you're shooting 500+ yards? do you just crank it to infinite and hope for the best? Do better scopes have an adjustment range that goes higher?

Robinhood
03-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Take a piece of black electricians tape. Cover the numbers on the parallax knob or objective. Aim the scope at something bright like the sky. Focus the reticle with the ocular lens. Point scope at target. Use parallax knob to adjust focus of target. When the target is clear you should have minimal parallax. Test and make minor adjustments to remove parallax. Finish by making fine adjustments for target clarity with the ocular lens while maintaining reticle sharpness.

This is the ONLY way to correctly utilize a scope with parallax adjustment, regardless if it is a side adjust or an objective adjust. Some scopes are just not capable of perfect parallax while maintaining perfect target and reticle clarity.

Never count on the numbers on a parallax knob. There are some high end optics that are close but really, No parallax is no parallax regardless of what the numbers say.

yobuck
03-21-2019, 09:16 AM
I always check and set for parralex at a longer distance, then just leave it there.
It as a rule wont match the markings, but I feel what you see is more important.
Especially when hunting, the last thing you will likely think about is parrelex.
There are other factors to deal with, so a possible slight amount of parralex is irrelevant in comparison imop.

Nub Hippie
03-21-2019, 09:28 AM
It still seems like the adjustment must max out at some range, I was more wondering where the average drop off in range vs. adjustment was and if that range was shorter in lower end scopes vs. high end.

Robinhood
03-21-2019, 11:16 AM
There are probably a couple of factors and surely cost plays into the limits. I am no expert on the subject so I suggest testing the max range in the field.

sharpshooter
03-21-2019, 11:53 PM
There is one thing you should always check when adjusting parallax, if you have an adjustable objective. Reticle shift.....and I'm NOT talking about moving your eye around the ocular lens to see if the crosshair moves, what I am speaking of is the point of impact moving when the parallax is adjusted from one range to another.
This seems to be a common problem on lower end scopes. If you have your rifle zeroed @ 100 yds, and you decide to shoot at 200, you move the parallax setting accordingly. The shots should be whatever the trajectory is for that cartridge, which will always be lower, not 5 " high and 2" to the right. This problem is associated with a tipped lens in the objective. With a tipped lens, the image of the reticle is also shifted.
Depending on how the scope is constructed, will determine how it shifts. The most common scopes have the objective lens that simply screws in and out to adjust parallax. If it has a misaligned lens, the shift will be in a circular travel motion. Some scopes have the objective on a sliding tube that uses a cam to push it in or out, resulting in a straight line shift if it has this problem.
I mentioned this is a common problem on low end optics, but I have seen it on top dollar scopes as well. This condition can be detected easily with an optical boresighter, or even by checking with the gun in a vise or solid rest.

Nub Hippie
03-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Alright, I'll look into it, it's a Vortex crossfire 2, not top end but not garbage either.

Robinhood
03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Do better scopes have an adjustment range that goes higher?

I did not address this question. There are zero scopes out there that go further than infinity.

Or this one

I know what parallax is and how it works and how to check for it and that the numbers on the adjustment are just approximations. What I don't understand is what if you're shooting 500+ yards? do you just crank it to infinite and hope for the best?

If you are shooting at 500 yards follow the first bold sentence in the quotes. Check for it and adjust accordingly. as you get to longer ranges it takes less adjustment to move greater distances. Just to recap. Parallax is not a set and go. If used correctly you will almost always need to make fine adjustments (when trying to shoot the smallest groups possible). If you follow my previous post, when the target is clear the parallax is already close. If not put it in a box and step up a little.

Texas10
04-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Alright, I'll look into it, it's a Vortex crossfire 2, not top end but not garbage either.

The one I have will put bullets into 4 inch clays at 500 yds with no problem. Very good glass, especially for the price, even in moonlit conditions.

BB68
04-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Excellent thread, some very good tips I picked up, when I thought I already understood scopes.

Orr89rocz
04-12-2019, 10:54 AM
I did not address this question. There are zero scopes out there that go further than infinity.

I think he meant higher than 200. His goes 200 then infinity. I have seen scopes with settings that go above 200 like 400 or 500. But as said above its just an approximation to get to quickly dialed in ball park. My sightron doesnt have any numbers just a side dial with a progressively thickening line that implies thicker is farther away lol so its kinda pita to quickly get focused but reinforces the idea that its to be fine tuned anyway and not necessarily a set to predetermined value

Robinhood
04-13-2019, 01:48 PM
The reason your speedometer uses the transmission shaft speed and not the position of the gas pedal?

yobuck
04-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Actually I think it's become an issue that wasent an issue for the most part.
Keep your cheek weld on the stock the same and there is no parralex issues anyway.
Certainly the hunting scopes not having any adjustment are capable of producing good results.
For a smallbore shooter at 50' desiring a 10x prone score, it can be a big deal.
But for shooting at longer distances, not as much.
I happen to think that the knobs just might help cause more issues than they help fix.
The only difference between so called "rim fire scopes" and others for example, is the factory setting of the parralex distance.
Leupold will set the distance on any of their scopes for any distance you want, including the Redfield brand.
You can order a new one to your specs and buy it direct, which ive done, or send in an old one to be reset.