PDA

View Full Version : Smooth barrel nut removal

mantihunter
03-19-2019, 11:52 AM
I just acquired a new 111 in 270 Winchester. Midway, USA has Shaw barrel kits in 35 Whelen and I want to switch out my 270 to the Whelen. My 111 has a smooth barrel nut and the Shaw kits come with a wrench for the grooved nuts. How do I remove the smooth barrel nut that's now on my rifle and should I order a grooved nut to replace my smooth one???

drybean
03-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Pipe wrench then replace with a grooved nut

JeepsAndGuns
03-19-2019, 12:21 PM
I bought this kit that comes with a wrench for both styles.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552646/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110
I have not actually used the smooth nut wrench, but I at least have it if I need it.
And I would replace the smooth nut with a grooved one myself.

mantihunter
03-19-2019, 02:36 PM
I hadn't thought of a pipe wrench. What a great, easy and CHEAP way to go, especially since i already have one. I'll order the kit and a grooved nut. Want to get this done before elk season this fall. Thanks for the responses.

Robinhood
03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Keep the pipe wrench away from the recoil lug or you could cause yourself some problems.

6mmBR_Shooter
03-19-2019, 08:59 PM
You need this: https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Barrel-Nut-Wrench-Kit_p_14765.html

They're on ebay, but EABCO often has specials and sales.

The clamp bolt that came with it was a low grade piece of crap and snapped off the first time I tightened it down (wrench was still spinning on nut). I replaced it with a higher grade metric bolt, soaked the nut in PB blaster, and then it came off fairly easily. No need to destroy the smooth nut with a pipe wrench. In addition, some people have gouged the action and/or the barrel with a pipe wrench. $25 is cheap insurance, and then resell one of the grooved nut wrenched if you need.

Newtosavage
03-19-2019, 09:17 PM
If you plan on going to a grooved nut, then just use a pipe wrench. Easy peasy. If you want to save the smooth nut, then smooth nut wrenches aren't expensive but can be frustrating. It took me about 3 tries to learn that I was over-tightening the bolt on my smooth nut wrench, and actually clamping the nut down onto the barrel. So nothing was moving. Once I lightened up the bolt torque, the smooth nut has been pretty easy to work with. I had a real "DUH" moment after a fair amount of cussing there. LOL

mantihunter
03-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I'm gonna go with the pipe wrench and replace the barrel nut.

6mmBR_Shooter
03-20-2019, 05:05 PM
If nothing else you can wrap a few layers of painters tape on the exposed areas that you don't want to mar if you slip.

Ryfulman
03-20-2019, 11:47 PM
If nothing else you can wrap a few layers of painters tape on the exposed areas that you don't want to mar if you slip.
Awesome idea. Thank you very much