PDA

View Full Version : First results with new 12 FV .223

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

CFJunkie
11-10-2020, 04:53 PM
TommyD111730,

If I could be so bold as to make two suggestions.

1) Keep complete and accurate records of all the groups you shoot, including the powder, charge, bullet, seating depth and or jump, trim length, temperature, and whatever else you think you might want to reference. A year from now, you may want to check on what worked, because after thousands of rounds, your chamber will erode slightly and you will need to adjust the seating depth to keep the same jump. I use a scanner to scan all my targets and use On Target software to measure all my groups. I save the scans so I have a record of all my groups. I record every group for ever load that i load and for whatever factory ammo I shoot. I use Excel so I can do statistical analysis of the data on the same worksheet that I record the data on.

2) It sounds like you have a good shooting Savage 12 FV. If fact, you will probably find that is shoots even better when you get comfortable with it. If you are observant, you may notices that certain set-up tricks give you better groups. If you're interested in accuracy, incorporate them in your set up routine and set up consistently. You may find that your average group sizes shrink by a lot. When I finally started to really concentrate on my set-up routine, I reduced my group sizes by 50%. Having a rifle that you know is a good shooter, allows you to make conclusions about what works.
Interestingly, what you learn transfers from rifle. Suddenly, all your rifles are shooting better.

Good luck and good shooting.

TommyD11730
11-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Sound advice, and thank you.
In the pouch on this rifle is small book. In it I keep notes of the handload make up and results. As I get older I find my memory isn't what it once was. Your dead on about keeping record's if you want to take things seriously.
I ordered a small number of 77 tmks and look forward to giving them a try. Honestly at the distance I shoot it might not make much of a difference.
The glass on this rifle is older. It's clear but Max's out at 9 power. Maybe next season I'll upgrade it. Speaking of upgrades if MDT runs a black friday sale I'll probably bite on a XRS. I'm not a chassis guy. So the XRS is a reasonably priced alternative. Would LOVE a GRS Berserk, but by the time you add the bottom metal and a couple of mags, it's big coin.
What you said about technique is so true. I find by the end of my day at the range my groups are tighter. My focus on target becomes more precise. In fact I seem to shoot better at smaller targets (within reason)

hamiltonkiler
11-11-2020, 12:39 PM
How do you like that bolt on muzzle break?
My buddy had that one on a 7mag and it reduced recoil way down. Also the velocity.
It seemed to rob the rifle of its potential.
Just wondering on the .223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyD11730
11-11-2020, 05:14 PM
The good... It went right on.. and stayed on when fired. ��

Also good... It's basically a recoilless rifle now.

The bad... Because of the overall length of the unit I was unable to chrograph the rounds fired. So, I can't tell you right now what effect it's having. Hopefully in the future that can be remedied.

Nighttrainn
12-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't think anyone was still reading this old thread.

There is another set of results documenting the results when I changed the factory stock to the Oryx Chassis that may also help.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?64623-Documented-results-from-replacing-the-12-FV-factory-stock-with-an-Oryx-Chassis

This has been a thread of interest since I found it last summer, I unfortunately lost all the information with a computer crash .

Having just found everything again I just wanted to say thank you .

Patrad
01-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Howdy all! Just finished this thread, and am loving it. Not a newbie by any means, but am one that also lost my better half of what would've been 50 years in March this past October. Had a very similar effect on me as it did on CFJUNKIE. Been attempting to get my head back into shooting, but it seems that I just can't get to the range often enough. Almost there, though, especially since Santa brought me an Axis in .223, but I'm still researching loads for it. Haven't settled for sure on exactly what to try yet, but looks like I'll try various Hor, Sie, and Nos bullets in various 68 - 77 grain versions. All the testing is in the (hopefully near) future, but I've got to break in the barrel first. Also have an Axis in .308 that I have to work with. Really looking forward to the powder smoke:cool: Gonna start with the OAL info!

MANY thanks for all of the great info, from everyone, in this thread!! I already know I've got some re-learning to do! Thanks again.