PDA

View Full Version : Need a new chronograph. What do you recommend?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill2905
03-16-2019, 08:09 PM
My mid 90's vintage Competetition Electronics ProChrono is on its last leg. Some days it works, others not so much. I have been looking at the current ProChrono DLX as an upgrade. I like the idea of the bluetooth feature and their mobile app, the price fits my budget, and it gets good reviews on several consumer sites.

Before I go down this path, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular model or if there is something else that you would recommend.

SageRat Shooter
03-16-2019, 08:24 PM
I hear the magneto speed is a pretty nice one. Might be something to look at? I've been tempted a few times to get one, but the old cheap one we have is still working.

Lou Tenant
03-17-2019, 08:52 AM
I've had several over the years. I currently have a magneto v3. The sporter models are very nice for the money. For public ranges they're a plus. Labradar are are at the top of the consumer market. It depends on how much use it will get and how much you want to spend.

celltech
03-17-2019, 09:45 AM
I have a Magneto Sporter. There is simply nothing smaller or easier to work with. Some disadvantages:

1. It does change POI, typically makes my rifles shoot higher. So remember where you had your scope set for your "active" ammo. Accuracy does not seem to be affected.
2. It needs enough barrel to hang onto, so on an AR or braked barrel you have to slip that through first. This means that if you have a long handguard it will not fit.
3. Because of the brake issue, if the brake is big enough it won't even fit in the first place.
4. Interface is stupid simple, just 1 button. So there is a bit of scrolling and selecting to change things or clear a string....but you get the hang of it pretty quick.

I have seen a guy setup his labradar only to be stymied by some vertical beams holding up baffles...damn thing would just not get a lock on his shots.

CJP1
03-17-2019, 10:17 AM
I also have a Magnetospeed V3. The biggest plus for me is that I'm not bothering other shooters at the range I shoot at. A downside is that it won't fit on pistols without a rail to attach it to and I have one. I'll be hanging onto my Pact chronograph for my pistol shooting.

DesertDug
03-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Have a magneto speed sported in the mail, but got this based on reviews.

Bill2905
03-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Can the Magneto Speed be be mounted upside down on a lever gun with a full length magazine tube?

jpx2rk
03-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Can the Magneto Speed be be mounted upside down on a lever gun with a full length magazine tube?

Would probably be in your line of sight, maybe at the 9 or 3 position.

Ryfulman
03-18-2019, 08:00 PM
I’ve got an inexpensive Caldwell unit. It was cheap and at the time I bought it I was new to reloading and just starting out. It provides accurate enough data that I’m able to establish the ballistics pretty accurately.
Of course there’s always some fine tuning needing to be done however this cheap unit has served me well for 6 years now. But there are better units. The Labradar is nice. Isn’t there a Doppler radar available too now for consumer use.

psharon97
03-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Been using the MagnetoSpeed for years. Can't go wrong with them.

stomp442
03-19-2019, 09:59 AM
What?
A chrono is critical to establishing a consistently accurate load. So I have to disagree with the premise or ridiculous idea that load development needs to be done before acquiring velocity data.
My chrono is a critical piece when doing load development. How else does a person work up single digit SD Nd ES

The magneto is by far the easiest and most accurate and reliable set up going. Bryan Litz has tested them to be accurate within 2 fps and I can do nothing but confirm this. It attaches easily and quickly without the need of being down range or in front of the muzzle. It will also come with different size spacers to get it set up properly. Muzzle brakes do not affect its performance that I have found and I have used it on sporter barrels all the way up to 1.25" dia barrels with no issue. Don't even bother putting it on if you are doing load development or shooting for accuracy. It blows my mind when people give the Magneto a bad review because it changes point of impact or affects accuracy. Well Duh, of course, it will. Find your load first or test your factory ammo by putting 5 or 10 rounds through it to get your data then take it off. The magneto speed is one of those things that if it ever brakes or wears out I will immediately order a new one. It just works.

jpdown
03-19-2019, 08:48 PM
+1. Magnetospeed is simple and accurate while the similar priced stand alone box units with screens are a pain to set up and use.

Ryfulman
03-20-2019, 04:05 PM
The magneto is by far the easiest and most accurate and reliable set up going. Bryan Litz has tested them to be accurate within 2 fps and I can do nothing but confirm this. It attaches easily and quickly without the need of being down range or in front of the muzzle. It will also come with different size spacers to get it set up properly. Muzzle brakes do not affect its performance that I have found and I have used it on sporter barrels all the way up to 1.25" dia barrels with no issue. Don't even bother putting it on if you are doing load development or shooting for accuracy. It blows my mind when people give the Magneto a bad review because it changes point
of impact or affects accuracy. Well Duh, of course, it will. Find your load first or test your factory ammo by putting 5 or 10 rounds through it to get your data then take it off. The magneto speed is one of those things that if it ever brakes or wears out I will immediately order a new one. It just works.
What?
A chrono is critical to establishing a consistently accurate load. So I have to disagree with the premise or ridiculous idea that load development needs to be done before acquiring velocity data.
My chrono is a critical piece when doing load development. How else does a person work up single digit SD Nd ES

Bill2905
03-20-2019, 04:15 PM
I am sold on the merits of the Magnetospeed. The idea of not having to set up the ProChrono at the right position and waiting for cease fires on the range is too appealing. Thank you for your replies and good advice.

Bill

stomp442
03-20-2019, 07:26 PM
What?

I let the target tell me what the rifle likes. I have never had a problem getting single digit numbers. How can anyone expect hanging a 12"+ piece of equipment off the end of the barrel held on by merely a strap expect any kind of consistency on paper or down range. I have had lots of single digit loads that didn't shoot that well and lots that did. You are not going to be shooting a match or going hunting with the Magneto attached so why would you ever try to develop a load that way? The side of the barrel barely touching the stock at anyplace can be detrimental to accuracy yet people think the Magneto shouldn't change anything. Boggles my mind.

Bill2905
04-08-2019, 09:51 PM
I am sold on the merits of the Magnetospeed. The idea of not having to set up the ProChrono at the right position and waiting for cease fires on the range is too appealing. Thank you for your replies and good advice.

Bill

Got my new Magnetospeed Sporter last week and went to the range with it on Saturday. After making a quick sensitivity adjustment, it worked fine. Much easier than working with my old ProChrono and a lot more productive not having to work around cease fires. Thanks again to all who steered me in this direction.

DesertDug
04-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Good to hear Bill. I have had mine two weeks and still have not had the weather to get to use it.

Orr89rocz
04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
I have a Magneto Sporter. There is simply nothing smaller or easier to work with. Some disadvantages:

1. It does change POI, typically makes my rifles shoot higher. So remember where you had your scope set for your "active" ammo. Accuracy does not seem to be affected.

hmm i will have to keep an eye on mine. First couple tries did not seem to shift my poi for 3 different guns but i only shot 1-2 rounds to get a read. They are bull/varmint type barrels tho

DesertDug
04-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Great to range for the first time with magneto speed sport and have a question for you all.

Can you track more more then one string? Have more then one avg, sd,es, etc...

varget204
05-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Have a Gamma Chrony w/ printer;but a lot of places do to ground slope,can't get tripod high enough,Bought a Magneto Sporter,from Brownells on sale for $ 160,very happy w/ it