PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth Evolution in 6.5 creedmoor

RonT
03-10-2019, 09:10 PM
folks, I have a new savage that I just shot for the first time today. I have never owned one of the accu triggers, I am really struggling with the initial take up the trigger has, What are my options in replacement triggers and I am looking for opinions on aftermarket triggers as well. I had loaded up some new norma brass loaded up with RE17, some old JLK 140 grain vld bullets and expected to shoot 1 moa at least, to my suprize the rifle shot about 1.6 or bigger moa today. good conditions, good solid rest, new Leupold HD vx5 scope. I have new Lapua small primer pocket brass and tipped 130 grain SMK bullets to try next. I also bought some RE16 powder. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ron Tilley

Whynot
03-10-2019, 11:19 PM
I would give it a little time to get to know the trigger. Savage accu-triggers are not my favorite- but I have never felt like they need to be replaced- If you do want to replace it then you can get a Timney. I have shot a savage with a Timney trigger in it and I had no complaints. I don't think that the savage trigger is a self contained unit like the Timney Rem 700 trigger, but rather a trigger blade that bypasses the original part. I didn't do the install so I don't know how difficult it is. I would bet that other companies also make triggers for the Savage- but I have no experience with them.

As far as the accuracy-- I would expect it to shoot better, but I wouldn't start swapping out everything yet. If you are using quality components and have a bullet that is appropriate for the twist then you can usually get them to shoot with some tweaking.

6mmBR_Shooter
03-13-2019, 06:22 AM
Ron, wat do you mean when you say you are struggling with initial take-up? If the trigger is too light you can always adjust it a bit heavier if it's going off sooner than you expect.

hamiltonkiler
03-13-2019, 07:47 AM
You don’t start squeezing on the trigger until you take up that slack in the safety. That bar or accu trigger safety feature is not meant to be apart of your pull through.
Some dry fire practice should get you comfortable taking that slack up before you start your breath. But imo the trigger shouldn’t be that light. Mines on 2# and I have to put some finger in it to go off. After safety take up.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryfulman
03-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Practice dry firing. I practice while watching tv. I just set up in front of the tube and keep firing until it’s become second nature. I now know EXACTLY where the trigger breaks,muscle memory to the extreme.
Thankfully my target rifles are all savage actions,so I can tune each trigger to break consistently with each other,eliminating the need to learn different trigger characteristics.
Personally I like the accutrigger. The only other factory trigger I found was target capable is the Thompson Center variant. I’ve got 2 dimensions and the triggers are excellent.