PDA

View Full Version : Ejector removal help

fella5
10-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Pretty new to the bolt action rifle and I just picked up a Savage 12 F 6BR and I was told by some to remove the ejector so the case doesn't get ejected and you just have to manually remove the case. Is it hard to remove the ejector? I read a post that they just installed it reverse and it works that way, but couldn't find a good link on how to remove the ejector, ejector pin and spring.

ellobo
10-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Put the bolt in a plastic bag, then push the ejector off the bolt head. The spring and ball detent will fly out but will be saved by the bag. Dont lose them. Push the ejector in a radial directian.
El Lobo

claysshotgunner
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
If you spend the $12 for a years membership, you will have access to technical articles that will tell you more than you can think to ask.

fatdaddy
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I believe El lobo is telling you about removing The extractor, not ejector.Ejector spring will fly too thou so be careful. I couldn't find a punch small enough to remove the pin in the side of the bolt head that retains the ejector pin. Ended up buying a new bolt head from midway for less than 20 bucks and didn't put the ejector in it...Bill

powemaker
10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeXNCA_JtA

fella5
10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the feed back... The video was very helpful.

82boy
10-16-2010, 08:28 PM
To remove the ejector you need a small punch and a hammer. You will see the roll pin that hold the ejector in place, you need to drive it out of there, be carefull because there is a spring under pressure and it will send the ejector pin flying.

A lot of old timers like to remove the ejector because they either believe that it makes the gun more accurate, or they don't want to chase brass. The fact of the matter is if your brass is "PROPERLY" sized the ejector will have no part to play. The chasing brass thing I can understand if your hunting in the field, but if all your doing is shooting off of a bench, then keep it in. The old saying is true is the brass is not a flying you are a dying. I like to shoot fast and keep the groups in the same conditions. In a factory barreled savage you will never see an accuracy difference with the ejector in or out.

The video is OK but there is some misinformation. NEVER place thread lock on the back action screw! If you have ever taken apart a factory built gun you will see how tight the screws can get, and adding lock tight could make disassemble impossible. Second if the back action screw was to back out it has NO AFFECT on headspace, and the gun WILL NOT "BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE!" At worse if the back action screw backs out, it makes the bolt handle a bit loose, and affects primary extraction. TRUST ME I have done it many times. The video never address extractor of ejector removal or assembly.

fella5
10-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks 82boy! Good to know. Learning a lot about this rifle from this forum. Its always better to learn from others than to learn the hard way:) The reason to remove the ejector is because some say that when you chamber a dummy round to or a live round, they don't like the bullet riding along the side of the chamber, especially when you are trying to measure bullet seating. Again.... just trying to see if it makes a difference or not. I will end up putting the ejector back after taking some measurements and also because I don't like digging in the chamber to remove a case.

BillPa
10-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Anyway....if you want to remove the ejector......
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,10681.0.html

Bill

fella5
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Bill,

Thanks... The images on that post are very helpful. The extractor is what I couldn't really figure out from the video.