PDA

View Full Version : Stevington

Pe4kink
03-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Hi all, I would like to pick some brains about a rifle I have recently acquired !, I purchased it as a savage .223 ??, however it seems to be a Stevens 200 long action, then it gets weird, it has a Remington barrel but no locking nut, so this barrel has been fitted into a completely alien action, I have heard of it being done the other way around but this ?? Somebody has taken a lot of time and effort to do this !, but it works it will shoot sub .5moa groups consistently and I love it it is one of my absolute keepers.
has anyone else experienced doing it this way around.

darkker
03-08-2019, 04:41 PM
So this likely isn't that "weird".
The Stevens is the same as a Savage. "Remington" or more properly said Cerberus, has/had a few things with the same thread spec. Prior to Marlin selling out, the XL7 / X7 was a bolt action with a nut and the same thread spec as a small shank. Once they sold out, the Rem 783 "replaced" the XL7, but barrel wise it's the same animal.
So if one of their other former "economy" lines was the same, sans barrel nut, it isn't that difficult to check headspace and simply fit the barrel.

From the top O my head, I can't recall the Rem thread spec, but is also possible to re-thread an existing barrel for the Savage spec.

Cheers

Pe4kink
03-08-2019, 05:30 PM
Thanks Darkker
we don’t gave as many choices here so it is a bit out of the ordanary it just seems strange that the barrel is stamped up Remington with the Stevens long action for a.223

darkker
03-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Yeah, stranger is in the eye of the beer holder:cool:

I've got a XL7(Marlin long action) with a Savage short action Creedmoor barrel, and a Model 70 stock. Either had the parts laying around, or got a deal on them, and they all pretty much just bolt together.

Cheers, and happy shooting