PDA

View Full Version : New PRS build

Pages : 1 [2]

A&8's
04-04-2019, 08:52 AM
youknow it was the cartridge used to come up with the 6.5 creedmoor.

As Rob01 said, The 6.5CM's parent case is the 30TC

Nice rifles, BTW.

Smurfkiller
05-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Awesome build I really love the Feel and look of the MPA chassis. Really want one, need to decide on buying another savage dropping it in, custom action barrel etc or just like a Howa Barreled Action

Chrazy-Chris
07-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Awesome build I really love the Feel and look of the MPA chassis. Really want one, need to decide on buying another savage dropping it in, custom action barrel etc or just like a Howa Barreled Action

Go custom action. No offense to OP but if you're serious about PRS, a Savage action is just going to frustrate you and hold you back. I shot two matches with my savage before I went all in and found a used PRS rifle with a Surgeon 591 for a decent price. You're running the bolt enough with the rifle sitting in awkward positions that the heavy bolt lift on a savage will become a real hindrance. Been there, done that.

A&8's
08-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Go custom action. No offense to OP but if you're serious about PRS, a Savage action is just going to frustrate you and hold you back.

See I just don't get it. Why everyone is so down on savage actions. I have had several...Several fellow competitors say similar, until they get behind an action I have trued (I have 6, not counting mine and my wife's, on the local match circuit). Every single one has said, "I have never felt a savage run that good." It's NOT hard to make them run smooth. Bolt to raceway tolerances are the key to running smooth. Heavy lift is easily cured. It's not like I have reinvented the wheel or doing anything spectacular to them. I just take the same time as I would with any other action. My only complaint is trigger selection and availability of stock/chassis without waiting 8 weeks.

J.Baker
08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
See I just don't get it. Why everyone is so down on savage actions. I have had several...Several fellow competitors say similar, until they get behind an action I have trued (I have 6, not counting mine and my wife's, on the local match circuit). Every single one has said, "I have never felt a savage run that good." It's NOT hard to make them run smooth. Bolt to raceway tolerances are the key to running smooth. Heavy lift is easily cured. It's not like I have reinvented the wheel or doing anything spectacular to them. I just take the same time as I would with any other action. My only complaint is trigger selection and availability of stock/chassis without waiting 8 weeks.

The biggest problem (and reason for the complaints) is that most of these guys look at Savage's like they're an Erector Set - they think they can just slap any menagerie of parts together and it should work. Usually it does work - well enough for a basic hunting rifle, but as you know for a competition gun everything has to be properly fitted and tuned to work smoothly and reliably. Most of these guys don't have the money, patience or skill to make that happen.