PDA

View Full Version : 6.5MM barrel life

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2019, 12:45 PM
So, I was wondering recently... For those of you who shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington, How many rounds did you get out of the barrel before it started opening up your groups? I'm at the 700-800 round count and have been shooting the 143 ELD-X pretty hot. I'm not shooting PRS or anything like that, but I do send 20+ rounds down range at a time when I'm out at my LR spot. I've been thinking about ordering another barrel soon so I have it on hand (or in case someone wants to pass a new law that says we can't do our own gunsmithing anymore). I'm not going to need it to be competition accurate, but 1 MOA would be the most I'd want it to be shooting before I swap it out. It shoots .5 MOA currently.

Thanks,

stomp442
03-05-2019, 02:08 PM
One of the big advantages to the 6.5 Creedmoor is the fact that it is a very efficient cartridge. Most 6.5-284s have a serviceable life of 12-1500 rounds depending on how it's shot. I would imagine the Creedmoor to get at least 2000 if not more before you see any real accuracy decline. Even more so if 1 MOA is still acceptable accuracy.

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks Stomp. I'm shooting the 260 Remington myself, so I was thinking that the Creed would have similar barrel life. Sounds like I better start getting the funds together and get it ordered soon. I know there will be several month lead time for another CBI... I'd rather have one sitting in the safe ready to go, then wait until the barrel is shot out, and then order one...

Rob01
03-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Depending on the load and how it's shot plan between 2500-3500 rounds. Mine always went around 2500. First went at 2350 area. I shoot them in PRS matches and use mostly factory ammo but have used handloads too.

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Depending on the load and how it's shot plan between 2500-3500 rounds. Mine always went around 2500. First went at 2350 area. I shoot them in PRS matches and use mostly factory ammo but have used handloads too.

Thanks Rob,

I appreciate your input as well. I've been loading it hot since the beginning (43.0 gr H4350) and just recently dropped my charge down (42.8) as I was getting a little too much pressure sign during the warmer months. I hand load everything I shoot, so have them seated .004 off. I'm not running it in PRS style matches. I try not to let the barrel get too hot, before I let it cool a bit, but have been guilty of running 20 round strings.

Rob01
03-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Should put you in the 2500 range. if you needed a number to have for plans to rebarrel. Depends on the barrel also. Is it a factory barrel?

SageRat Shooter
03-05-2019, 05:26 PM
Should put you in the 2500 range. if you needed a number to have for plans to rebarrel. Depends on the barrel also. Is it a factory barrel?

No, It's a 25" Stainless Varmint contour CBI. I don't really need a number for when the barrel is "gone" but having a ballpark number will help me in already having the replacement ordered, delivered, and ready to put on whenever that day comes... I waited a LONG time for the first CBI I ordered, and don't want to be "high and dry" for another LONG period of time. I like plug and play whenever I can get it.

Rob01
03-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Yeah that should last a little longer than a factory barrel. Figure your shooting schedule and when you are close to that time frame you know it takes to get the barrel then order one up. Definitely sucks just having a rifle sitting there waiting on a barrel.

Ryfulman
03-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Yeah that should last a little longer than a factory barrel. Figure your shooting schedule and when you are close to that time frame you know it takes to get the barrel then order one up. Definitely sucks just having a rifle sitting there waiting on a barrel.

Why would an aftermarket barrel last longer than the original equipment? If made from the same grade barstock?

OP.
So I too have a 260. A model 10T with a #8 shilen prefit. Loving the brand. The ratchet rifling profile is really interesting. Anyway it’s impossible to put a number on barrel life because of all the shooter incurred variables,however from what I’ve seen in the field it can be anywhere from 1200-3000 rounds before the barrel loses that pinpoint consistency.
Now that doesn’t mean the barrel is finished. It just isn’t as consistent as it was when new.
For example a friend has a 22-250 savage model 10. His dad gave it to him and it’s easily 25 years old. It was used to control vermin in the farm. That barrel had no rifling whatsoever for the first 6 inches,24 inch long barrel.
The rifle still printed around an inch at 100 meters however it would toss the odd flyer that wasn’t even close to the group.
Point being there can still be lots of life left in the barrel depending on the application.

Rob01
03-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Why would an aftermarket barrel last longer than the original equipment? If made from the same grade barstock?

That's a big IF. Aftermarket custom barrels are better made as a whole than factory barrels which come with differing chambers, freebore, rifling etc. Not a hard rule that they will but a good way to lean.