PDA

View Full Version : Post your best deer recipe...

Sled
03-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Personally, my preferred venison recipe is a simple stew in a Dutch Oven over a fire. Nothing special, I would make sure all the silverskin was off the meat, soak it overnight in saltwater, the marinate with Southwest seasoning for several hours. Dump the meat and marinade in the pot with a little oil, and brown it, then add in water/beef broth and vegetables. We used to do this with the Scout troop on campouts, and the boy loved it. Parents that came by for dinner would often have trouble believing it was deer and not beef. And then, of course, there was the Dutch Oven blackberry, peach or apple cobblers for dessert..... Never really cared for deer "steak", but I assume I'm not doing it right.

12bhunting
03-03-2019, 12:54 PM
I take the strap and cut it so it rolls out and lays flat. Then I spread cream cheese, feta, jalapenos and spinach. Then roll it back up and cover with a basket weave blanket of bacon. Kids call it the baconator.

Other than that I like it fried and slipped into a cathead biscuit.

Coastal
08-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Age your backstraps for at least a week or so. Then cut into thick steaks. Wrap with thick cut pepper bacon and toothpick into place. Season with Uncle Chris's Steak Seasoning. Grill over a hot bed of mesquite coals to med rare, no more. If you overcook it you'll have a tough piece of leather. It's my favorite venison recipe and very easy.

Another one we do alot of carne guisada. If you want an easy carne guisada look up Fiesta Seasonings and order some of their carne guisada seasoning. Follow the instructions. i usually make mine from scratch but the Fiesta mix makes it quick and easy. Add some tortillas, make some pico de gallo and maybe slice up an avacado and it is super good. I serve it with spanish rice and beans.

I make venison stew alot too. I generally use roasts from the hind quarters. Cut them up into bite sized pieces. Season and roll in flour. Brown them in a little oil in a dutch oven. After they are all browned put them back int he dutch oven and add beef stock or water. Add in a few cloves of garlic, half a diced onion and half a diced bell pepper. Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer. Let that simmer for an hour. Then add in your carrots and potatoes cut up into bite sized pieces. i also add a couple bay leaves and adjust the seasoning at that time. Bring back to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it roll for another 45 min to an hour. When the vegetables are tender it should be ready.

Handi204
09-08-2019, 02:27 PM
I like to cut the back straps in 6 to 8 inch long pieces marinade in balsamic vinegar overnight the put on the grill for 4 minutes on each side.
serve with a baked potato. Delicious

hamiltonkiler
09-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Well you burn the hair off and scrape it clean. Use hot water to clean.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/684c4676e625a84d17ca898b2109c48c.jpg
Then you chop it up including the good organs.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/e69edc2de2280f06d711d2d7f0cab55e.jpg
Then you crush and sauté onions garlic lemon grass salt pepper chili powder lime leaf and turmeric with oil.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/1ec4886a974e9c673c27f18641300399.jpg
Then add the chopped meat.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/93e56abc68c718f9c6bdb861b6bf03ff.jpg
Serve over rice

I like back straps seared hot hot in a cast iron also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeymaster
01-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Canned deer meat,
7quarts takes 14 lbs,cut into cubes, 1 to 1 1/2" cubes is best, we usually use the rear quarters
Stuff the wide mouth qt jars pack it firm,
Add a chunk of beef tallow
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Seal the jars tight with new lids
Place in water canner with cold water up to jar tops
Fire up the burner
Bring to boil, then maintain boil for 3 hours
Remove, set in cool area, tops should pop when cooling indicating sealed

Then to eat...
Dump jar meat in pot
Add small chopped onion
Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup, NO water
Add couple tablespoons butter, optional
Cover
Bring to simmer stirring occasionally
Keep on simmer for 30 minutes or so, this softens the onions, balences the flavors through out
We serve with mashed potatoes and veggies, usually on an open face sandwich.
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME
Pioneer women chef Bobby has nuttin on this !

This works with beef also. FYI