PDA

View Full Version : 260 remington (or similar 308 case) on long action

Pages : [1] 2

zloe
03-01-2019, 03:02 PM
I've read a lot about people doing this, short action cartridge on a long action receiver, but what is the best stock and magazine set up.
Mine will be a 260 remington CBI barrel, will be putting the barrel on a older 3 screw flat back 110 receiver. Any stock and magazine options that have been tested and true would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stumpkiller
03-01-2019, 03:29 PM
What is your intended use? I have a Boyd's Lightweight Thumbhole (Aluminum pillars & Accraglas bedded) on my .260 Rem hunting rifle. Very happy marriage. It has the Axis style magazine that I am underwhelmed about - though I used a E. Arthur Brown bottom "metal" that is a crisper lock-up than the synthetic OEM stock. I leave the magazine in place and just load from the top. It functions perfectly - I just don't put much faith in that plastic "hoop" retaining mechanism.

Only complaint is that the safety is harder to reach with the thumbhole. Has not proven to be an issue in the field but adds a little motion.

I'm able to load out to 2.900" (0.10" over SAAMI) with the short action; though I haven't needed to go past 2.875" to get a 0.010" jump with the bullets I use. Savage did well by the .260

It's a great cartridge. Pity Remington did their typical stumble and introduced it with the wrong twist.

scootergisme
03-01-2019, 03:57 PM
I had a 28" Criterion bull barrel chambered in 260 Remington on a Savage 110 action glass bedded in a Sharp Shooters Supply Laminate Varmint Tactical (LVT) stock. It had a single-shot loading ramp in it when I got it. I could load the cartridges with a lot of run out the let the bolt seat the bullet against the lands. Super accurate, but very heavy. I shot it off of a bench. I took the single-shot loading ramp out and put the normal magazine follower back in the rifle. I was able to chamber cartridges out of the box magazine without incident.

zloe
03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
intended purpose 1000 yard + gun. Don't even care to shoot at stuff at less than 1K yards. ;)
I'd like to use it for some local prs matches. would like to be able to have a bottom metal and aics 10 round mags.

SageRat Shooter
03-01-2019, 04:12 PM
I built my 260 Rem on a Savage 111 action, using a Varmint contoured CBI barrel (25"). I've got a Boyd's Pro Varmint Coyote Laminate stock. I also ordered real bottom metal for wood stocks from Savage. I'm shooting the 143 ELD-X seated out to 2.93 OG and I have plenty of room left in the magazine, and it feeds better from the magazine than if I single feed it.

It is a heavier rifle at 12-13 lbs.... Most of the weight being the barrel and stock.

scootergisme
03-01-2019, 04:20 PM
I used to have a 1,000 yard range 3 miles from my house on my wife's grandfather's ranch. After he passed away, the land was divided up among his four children. They fenced off their sections and told me to pound sand. I sure miss ringing metal plates at 1,000 yds!

zloe
03-01-2019, 04:24 PM
I used to have a 1,000 yard range 3 miles from my house on my wife's grandfather's ranch. After he passed away, the land was divided up among his four children. They fenced off their sections and told me to pound sand. I sure miss ringing metal plates at 1,000 yds!
It is the best.

zloe
03-01-2019, 04:25 PM
I built my 260 Rem on a Savage 111 action, using a Varmint contoured CBI barrel (25"). I've got a Boyd's Pro Varmint Coyote Laminate stock. I also ordered real bottom metal for wood stocks from Savage. I'm shooting the 143 ELD-X seated out to 2.93" and I have plenty of room left in the magazine, and it feeds better from the magazine than if I single feed it.

It is a heavier rifle at 12-13 lbs.... Most of the weight being the barrel and stock.
Mind if I ask what the bottom metal cost from savage, and did it fit the boyd's stock without needing any inletting?

scootergisme
03-01-2019, 04:27 PM
It is the best.
AMEN! Squeeze the trigger, watch the bullet make a black mark on the white metal gong through the scope and hear a "Ding" 3 seconds later. Exhilarating!!!

SageRat Shooter
03-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Mind if I ask what the bottom metal cost from savage, and did it fit the boyd's stock without needing any inletting?

Sure... The "real" bottom metal ran me $150.00 (including shipping). They also had the "plastic" bottom metal which I believe was a little cheaper. I don't recall having to do anything to my stock to get the bottom metal to fit, so I want to say it was just a drop in fit.

I put mine together for the same reason you did... I did have to pillar the action screws on the stock to get the accuracy I wanted, but I have not had to glass bed the action yet. Topped mine with a Nice Sightron SIII 6-24x50... My spot only goes out to a little over 900 yards.... I shoot a 10" gong at that range at it gets the job done...

zloe
03-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Sure... The "real" bottom metal ran me $150.00 (including shipping). They also had the "plastic" bottom metal which I believe was a little cheaper. I don't recall having to do anything to my stock to get the bottom metal to fit, so I want to say it was just a drop in fit.Awesome. I assume this doesn't allow AICS magazines, however?

SageRat Shooter
03-01-2019, 04:49 PM
You got me on that one Zloe... I don't know the answser to that one... I don't know why it wouldn't be possible however... There's a guy on Youtube (the Social Regressive) that has some kind of CDI or AICS 10 round mag that he upgraded his Savage 12 FV with. His is SA though not a LA, so that may or may not be a determining factor in converting to those mag setups.

If you are asking if the bottom metal that I ordered from Savage allows for the AICS mag, then NO, it doesn't. The bottom metal is just for the Standard Savage magazines, but they give you the "real" metal which I prefer over the plastic mag setup. It's just way more reliable.

Newtosavage
03-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Since the Savage short action is already 3.00", is there really a need to put a .308 based cartridge into a long action Savage? I mean, how long would the throat of the barrel have to be?

SageRat Shooter
03-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Since the Savage short action is already 3.00", is there really a need to put a .308 based cartridge into a long action Savage? I mean, how long would the throat of the barrel have to be?

I just wanted to make sure that I could shoot the long VLD type bullets and seat them WAY out, so I didn't lose much case capacity for powder. I had mine chambered in 260 Rem Match (longer throat) and I wanted to be able to chase the lands as it eroded. That why IMO.

Could it still have worked on a short action? probably... But I didn't want to take the chance.

Stumpkiller
03-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Why ask why?

When it cones to guns "because I didn't have one like that already, or just wanted another" is a good enough answer. :peace:

It's not like you're married to us.

psharon97
03-02-2019, 12:31 AM
intended purpose 1000 yard + gun. Don't even care to shoot at stuff at less than 1K yards. ;)
I'd like to use it for some local prs matches. would like to be able to have a bottom metal and aics 10 round mags.

If you want to use the rifle for PRS matches, I'd advise to look at a different action. I've tried running a Savage action that was T&T by SSS and I still ran into issues of reliable feeding, extracting, and ejecting under stressful and field conditions. I'd look at the Bighorn Origin or the ARC Nucleus. If you don't want to go custom, then I'd look at Bergara or the RPR or a Tikka.

mnbogboy2
03-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Having built 4-260s, 2-257 Bob AIs, 3-6.5/257 Bob AIs, and now 4-6.5 Creeds on 110 long actions here's a little input. Oh ya, I think of done 4 or 5 243s also on long actions.
I've used both flat back staggered feeds & round centerfeeds.
The blind staggered feed 30-06/270 magazines generally will feed 243/260 without any feed lip tweaking. The centerfeed mags usually require some as they are a little more finicky in my opinion. Feed from the stagger feed is usually smooth. I actually try feeding before removing the old barrel. Some bullets like those VLDs may require a slight adjustment of the feed ramp (grinding or build up) to feed the shorter rounds into the chamber.
The AIs and Creedmoors however most likely will require modification to the lug abutment and bolt guide raceway to allow for smooth extraction due to larger diameter at the case shoulder.
Being you are building a long range gun I would purchase the 20 or 30 moa rail ahead of time and mount it on the action. Check the alignment of the mount screws with the level of the flat back. I recently found one with the flat milled at a slight angle (right to left) where the rail did not sit flat with the front screws snugged down. Burris Sig see rings & inserts will fix this. You can get up to 40 moa adjustment from the inserts also. The inserts will not ring the scope and no lapping required. They will not move with 260 recoil.
Good luck,
Randy

zloe
03-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Randy, thanks.
Any experience with inletting a stock to use aics long action mags?

tobnpr
03-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Short of a custom reamer with reduced throat angle and freebore cut to a specific boolit, consider the "match" chamber as mentioned above. You need the .160 freebore to seat out heavy VLD's.

If you want aftermarket bottom metal, send the rifle to CDI. He'll inlet/install and insure proper fit for reliable feeding.

mnbogboy2
03-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Randy, thanks.
Any experience with inletting a stock to use aics long action mags?

Sorry can't help there, all mine have been blind mags. I would suggest however that you install the pillars after the bottom metal inlet. After you reach the correct position for reliable feed then the pillars can be cut to assure good contact with the bottom metal and thence good position for reliable torques.