PDA

View Full Version : Ring height for a M10 FCP-SR | 20MOA rail | 30mm tube | 50mm obj

DeltaNu1142
02-28-2019, 04:41 PM
I freed up some money today with a sale, and so I’m picking up a Sig Sauer Tango4 6-24x50 to mount on my rifle. I’m about 95% on getting this scope, with a FFP reticle, unless someone has had a horrible experience with one and can share. What I don’t know is what rings I’ll need to mount it.

Sig customer service says medium or high, leaning towards high to be sure the bell will clear. They stated that one determining factor was the straight bolt handle.

I’d like to get opinions from those that have been there; what scope rings should I be looking at? I’m interested in height and/or brand suggestions. Thanks very much in advance.

scootergisme
02-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Do you have the scope base that you plan to use on the rifle? If so, attach the base to the rifle. Then cut some small blocks of wood the same height as the ring height that think you want to use. Set the blocks of wood on the base and then set the scope on top of the blocks. Cut/sand the blocks until you get the desired clearance from the front bell of the scope to the barrel. Measure the block of wood height and look at ring specs until you find what you want.

DeltaNu1142
02-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Do you have the scope base that you plan to use on the rifle? ...
I do, yes, it’s the factory Savage rail.

Measure the block of wood height and look at ring specs until you find what you want.
That’s not a bad approach. The only trouble is, it’ll be a month or so until I’m back in a house with some semblance of a workshop. I was hoping some has mounted this scope (or similar) to this rifle (or similar).

I found this review on Amazon of Vortex’s low (0.83”) rings:

The height of these rings (0.83in, or 21mm) are perfect for getting as close to the barrel as possible and still clear the over-sized bolt handle of the Savage 10T-SR.

Installed these Vortex Tactical 30mm Low Rings with an Athlon Optics 6-24x-50mm scope on a Savage 10T-SR .308. The rifle comes with an over-sized Ashbury bolt handle so clearance there was more of a concern than the barrel clearance. After mounting, the bolt handle clears the closest part of the scope (the zoom adjustment ring) by slightly less than 1/8". It's close but it cleared! There is roughly 1/4" clearance between the scope bell and the top of the barrel.

scootergisme
02-28-2019, 05:11 PM
I know it stinks to wait. I'm OCD to the max on scope height. I want the scope mounted as low as possible. I've used the described method successfully on mine and my friends rifles. Sometimes it pays to wait. If you're an Amazon Prime member, returns are free a lot of the times. Find what you like, order several heights, keep what works and return the others.

DeltaNu1142
03-02-2019, 04:33 AM
I went to the area's premier shooting range & firearms store intent on buying a scope and rings last night. I've changed my mind (as I often do), I think for the better, and I'm abandoning the Sig in favor of a Vortex Viper... same general dimensions.

The shop didn't have any picatinny medium-height rings... none. I tried with the scope counter guy to test-fit some low rings that split vertically--i.e., have a left & right side, rather than a bottom and top--and it looks like that might clear the bolt handle, but it was hard to tell with the janky setup requiring four hands to hold the rings and scope on the rifle.

I'm less than impressed. I've bought other stuff there; it's a bit out of town, and traffic going there at rush hour is black-friday-at-walmart-parking-lot speeds.

Still looking. May try another place farther away today. Input welcome.