PDA

View Full Version : Question about loading for a unlisted bullet weight

18whlsrolin
02-28-2019, 11:27 AM
I'm wanting to load for a savage rifle build in 35 whelen. I just put the apache gun works barrel on and fired some 180 grain hot cores and 220gr hot cores. The powder in question is Alliant pro power varmint. The 180s produced 3100fps and the 220s were 2825fps. I'm wanting to load some 200gr nosler Accubond. I'm using speer load data. They are the only one I can find with data on this powder. The listed 220 charge weight max is 63.8 and the 180 is 70gr max. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like I could safely start at 63 or 64 for the 200gr.

The velocity for the 180 and 220 are amazing to me so I really want to come up with a 200gr load with this powder. Speer doesn't offer a 200gr bullet in .358 Thanks

Ted_Feasel
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm wanting to load for a savage rifle build in 35 whelen. I just put the apache gun works barrel on and fired some 180 grain hot cores and 220gr hot cores. The powder in question is Alliant pro power varmint. The 180s produced 3100fps and the 220s were 2825fps. I'm wanting to load some 200gr nosler Accubond. I'm using speer load data. They are the only one I can find with data on this powder. The listed 220 charge weight max is 63.8 and the 180 is 70gr max. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like I could safely start at 63 or 64 for the 200gr.

The velocity for the 180 and 220 are amazing to me so I really want to come up with a 200gr load with this powder. Speer doesn't offer a 200gr bullet in .358 ThanksForgive me if I say something you already know but I believe nosler website has load data.. dont know if they have it for the powder you mentioned though

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

scootergisme
02-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Go to https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/35-whelen/ and see if one of the listed powders has the same attributes as Alliant pro power varmint (burn rate, pressure, etc.). If so, start at the listed beginning powder charge and work your way up checking for signs of excessive pressure.

18whlsrolin
02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
Thanks for replies, I've looked at noslers data and even made some imr 8208 xbr loads that were pretty good. I just really want to try pro power varmint. It is at the top of the velocity for 180gr and 220 so it seems like it would be for 200 also. I think speer has caught on to something before everyone else when it comes to 35 whelen and pro power varmint. Hopefully other manufacturers will test this powder with their bullets and update their load data.
I think I could safely take the maximum load for a bullet that is 20 grain heavier and start there with load development. I'm essentially asking if other people have done something similar and if so are my assumptions safe.
I know that bullet construction differs and that that effects pressure but all I can go from is speer bullets hot core (cup and core) type load data. Their 180gr max is 70gr of powder and 220gr max is 63.8gr of powder. Theoretically a 200gr bullet max would be 66.9gr of powder. I am considering starting at 64gr-64.9gr and was wondering if someone who has done something similar would weigh in.
Thanks

darkker
03-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Go to https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/35-whelen/ and see if one of the listed powders has the same attributes as Alliant pro power varmint (burn rate, pressure, etc.). If so, start at the listed beginning powder charge and work your way up checking for signs of excessive pressure.

Nosler doesn't list pressures or burn rates for the prepare you mean. Burn rate charts are approximations based on fixed bomb calorimeter tests. What they don't tell you is whether or not the powder changes with case capacity, or progressivity of the powder. Haven't looked in a while, but the power pros were General Dynamics powders from the Quebec plant. That plant was totally rebuilt in the part couple years and formulas changes were made (Enduron is the marketing name under another brand). During that period of rebuild, Hodgdon was also sourcing powder from Groupe SNPE, from the Eurenco branch. So at the time IMR-4064 in 1# bottles was GD, but the 8# kegs weren't. Make sure you are using data for the correct prefer you have

Cheers

Bigbuckdn
03-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks for replies, I've looked at noslers data and even made some imr 8208 xbr loads that were pretty good. I just really want to try pro power varmint. It is at the top of the velocity for 180gr and 220 so it seems like it would be for 200 also. I think speer has caught on to something before everyone else when it comes to 35 whelen and pro power varmint. Hopefully other manufacturers will test this powder with their bullets and update their load data.
I think I could safely take the maximum load for a bullet that is 20 grain heavier and start there with load development. I'm essentially asking if other people have done something similar and if so are my assumptions safe.
I know that bullet construction differs and that that effects pressure but all I can go from is speer bullets hot core (cup and core) type load data. Their 180gr max is 70gr of powder and 220gr max is 63.8gr of powder. Theoretically a 200gr bullet max would be 66.9gr of powder. I am considering starting at 64gr-64.9gr and was wondering if someone who has done something similar would weigh in.
Thanks
Yea I have done exactly what you are talking about I always started 1 grain lower then I thought I had to
can’t say that is was safe or smart but I did it and I am about to do same with some Barnes in my 284

Ted_Feasel
03-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Yea I have done exactly what you are talking about I always started 1 grain lower then I thought I had to
can’t say that is was safe or smart but I did it and I am about to do same with some Barnes in my 284Here's a kinda long shot but shootersworld powders makes clones of namebrands.. find their powder that is supposed to be the equivalent of what you are wanting to use and they have load data for all their powders, then reference it and start low and that MAY be a safer starting point.. I use 2 of shootersworld powders (luvox makes them) and they do seem to be good powders.. just a thought, I dont claim it to be a good one though lol

Bigbuckdn
03-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Here's a kinda long shot but shootersworld powders makes clones of namebrands.. find their powder that is supposed to be the equivalent of what you are wanting to use and they have load data for all their powders, then reference it and start low and that MAY be a safer starting point.. I use 2 of shootersworld powders (luvox makes them) and they do seem to be good powders.. just a thought, I dont claim it to be a good one though lol

I am ok I have info I need but the OP asked if anyone ever did what he was thinking of doing
when I play with the Barnes I am dropping from 160 lead core to the 140 Barnes to try and keep seating dearth close
so I can start with same powder charges I am using on the 160s

Ted_Feasel
03-09-2019, 08:02 PM
I am ok I have info I need but the OP asked if anyone ever did what he was thinking of doing
when I play with the Barnes I am dropping from 160 lead core to the 140 Barnes to try and keep seating dearth close
so I can start with same powder charges I am using on the 160sCool:) I probably should have pinned that to his question lol..