PDA

View Full Version : Axis FAQ Update Fact Finidng Thread

Frontier Gear
02-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Hey guys,
The Axis FAQ page is getting a little long in the tooth. It was made about a year after the Axis came out and since then there have been some changes. It's time for an update. I'll post the FAQ that I'm working on here and everyone can chime in with their input. When it looks like that question is thoroughly answered, I'll compile the best answer(s) into a concise Q&A to submit to Jim for posting on the FAQ page. Then on to the next Q&A.

Pictures are great to have along with each question and answer. Please take a good picture of your Axis and upload it if it helps explain the answer.
Thanks in advance to everyone that helps.

Frontier Gear
02-27-2019, 11:54 AM
So here is the first question. If I'm a Savage newbie and looking for a low price donor rifle, my first question is which one should I buy. What are the differences (if any) and which one is more customizable?

QUESTION:
What are the differences between the Savage Edge, Axis and Axis II?

JWW123
02-27-2019, 02:56 PM
All axis actions are the same length , I think the big difference is the ones with a accu trigger , heavier barrel and wood stock . I would look at what the gun comes with and figure out what the costs are to do the modifications you want . I normally start out with the cheapest one I can find and start from there , trigger job new barrel and stock

Frontier Gear
02-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Just to clarify, the Axis II has the Accu-Trigger. The Edge and the Axis do not. Is that correct?

From what I can tell, the only difference between the Edge and the original Axis is the name. Some legal reason Savage had to stop using the name Edge. I'd like to verify that though before posting that they are the same on the FAQ.

JWW123
02-27-2019, 03:18 PM
From what I understand the difference is just in the name both are the same the edge came out first though

J.Baker
02-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Ok, I can already see this is going to turn into a case of the blind leading the blind. lol

Just to clarify, the Axis II has the Accu-Trigger. The Edge and the Axis do not. Is that correct?

Correct

From what I can tell, the only difference between the Edge and the original Axis is the name. Some legal reason Savage had to stop using the name Edge.

Correct.

Savage stayed pretty tight lipped about why the name was changed other than referencing legal reasons. Some speculate it was Ford with their Edge crossover vehicle, but that's a different classification of product type so I don't think it would apply.

Frontier Gear
02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Thank you sir! I'll start putting the Q&A together for you in the appropriate new section.

Frontier Gear
02-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Next question. Does anybody know of some more manufactures since 2015? I found stockysstocks.com offers them now as well.

Q: Who makes stocks for the Axis?
A: As of December 2015, laminate stocks can be purchased from Boyd's Gunstocks (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/) and Sharp Shooter Supply (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/). Boyd's also offers their patters in a walnut option for those who favor a more traditional look. Aluminum chassis stocks for the Axis are available from MDT (http://www.mdttac.com/).

Kronik
03-17-2019, 02:13 AM
First time poster and very recent purchaser of an Axis in .308. I’m an iron sight junkie and was wondering if there were any non-smithing options to get a front iron sight on my new rifle? Perhaps something clamped? Thanks in advance.

prdatr
03-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Go to Numerich Arms a find a front sight you like, tap the barrel and put it on. What are you going to do for a rear sight?