PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Bolt?

mugsie
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Is this normal? I bought a 300 win mag for the action. I converted it to 260 Rem by changing over the bolt head with a 30-06 bolt head. Screwed on the new barrel and head spaced it. Everything seems fine. The only thing I notice is the bolt appears to be a little sloppy. When I look at my 223 in 12BVSS and 308 10FP, the bolts seems to slide tighter. Once they lock up, the 260 too, they're fine. The other two are short actions and this is my first LA so maybe I'm being overly critical. The bolt slides home ok, no problems, but when dry firing I can detect a little movement in the bolt. The SA's do the same thing, but not to the extent of the LA. Is this the free floating bolt in action? Am I worrying for nothing?

ellobo
10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Pour a glass of good port, sit down in your favorite recliner and relax. You do not have a problem. Its the floating bolt head at work. You may have a missing wavy washer between the baffle and bolt head but even then its not a problem as far as shooting goes.

El Lobo.

bigedp51
10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
You now have a long action with a short action cartridge, the bolt is longer and has more "wiggle" room than the shorter action. (perceived movement at very rear of the bolt)

A British No.4 .303 Enfield has less bolt movement than a Mauser because of its bolt lug design and bolt raceway diameter. Many new rifles have wobbling bolts at full bolt extension, and many move more than a Savage.

P.S. Don't play with your bolt too much you might go blind.
(sorry the devil made me do it) ;D

mugsie
10-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Biged - I like your sense of humor!

Bolt works fine - can't wait for my stock to arrive so I can shoot this puppy.