PDA

View Full Version : New 110 Scout Rifle, factory peep sights are not workable

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Back2Wyo
07-10-2019, 04:10 PM
The rail on my Scout ( current release) does not have a channel. With the rear sight all the way down, you can just barely see the top of the front sight blade.

mnbogboy2
07-12-2019, 09:45 PM
My guess is savage will hym and haw on this one, possibly saying that your shooting wrong. Then send it back after doing nothing.
I would remove the front sight measure everything and machine a new one to your taste. Store the original for reassembly in the case you ever have to send it in for a warrantee problem that they could actually fix!
Too bad Dave Hoback isn't your neighbor, his ideas on a retrofit will work great.

Blackbeard Ben
07-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Blackbeard,

I’d like to PM you, but I think you need a minimum number of posts first. I’m trying to gather as many serial numbers as I can, so if you can somehow get me your serial number, I’d appreciate it greatly (PM or post, your call). I’m also trying to get a hold of the OP, but it seems that he hasn’t posted other than in this post.

As for your troubles with the sight picture, does your Scout rail have a scallop/groove down the length of it?? I’ve seen some of the older models are pretty much a standard rail, but mine has a groove that runs down the length of it to give a little more relief with the sight picture.

I’m going to be in touch with Savage (Canada) in a few days. I’ll report back with what’s happening.

doowroh, not a problem regarding my serial number. It is K941214.

My rifle does not have a channel/groove in the picatinny rail to provide relief for the sight picture. That's interesting that some do and some don't.

I did just put a red dot on it as an interim solution - I was wrong about optics never having been mounted on it. Someone definitely did mount something on it in the past.

Dave Hoback
07-13-2019, 11:12 AM
My guess is savage will hym and haw on this one, possibly saying that your shooting wrong. Then send it back after doing nothing.
I would remove the front sight measure everything and machine a new one to your taste. Store the original for reassembly in the case you ever have to send it in for a warrantee problem that they could actually fix!
Too bad Dave Hoback isn't your neighbor, his ideas on a retrofit will work great.

I’d even do it gratis! Could easily walk a person through it online though.

doowroh
08-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Just got my Savage Scout back. I haven't been able to get to the range to shoot/evaluate it yet.
What are you're thoughts on the barrel being "untrue".

Seems a bit too good to be "true".

The front sight has been replaced, and is measurably taller, but not tall enough.

https://i.imgur.com/2dKwQEc.png

mnbogboy2
09-04-2019, 09:23 PM
Just got my Savage Scout back. I haven't been able to get to the range to shoot/evaluate it yet.
What are you're thoughts on the barrel being "untrue". Seems a bit too good to be true.

https://i.imgur.com/qs6tUOY.png

As far as "untrue", was that their explanation and fix?
I shortened an ER Shaw barrel once and noticed it had a lot of curvature in the bore. Indexed it high at 12:00 and chambered accordingly.....long story short, it shot so high that a Bushnell elite did not have enough moa (only 34 moa total) to reach zero (as your iron sights). Rather than change to Burris Sig see rings, I switched out the scope to a vortex viper with 54moa spread and I was golden.
If their "untrue" is barrel indexing then I could see it happen.
Some Savages suffer the same affliction in the horizontal caused by a combination of barrel curvature, recoil lug thickness inconsistency and sometimes the scope bases screws are not in line with the action center-line.
Keep us posted

army_eod
12-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, I just came back from the range and have the same problem as the OP. It is not the shooter. It is the sight setup. It is not workable. Yes, the front sight blade has to be higher.
I will contact Savage to see what they say. I am NOT happy about this and I expect much more from Savage.

I am planning to run a scope on this, but I want the irons to be proper. Otherwise, I just take off the scout rail and irons and get an EGW rail for a conventional scope setup. Not what I want to have to do. But I will.

army_eod
12-09-2019, 07:11 AM
It is Monday and I will call Savage about this iron sight problem. They need to fix this. I am sure they will get lots of complaints about it. It is poor engineering on their part.

I have already removed the rear iron peep sight and the scout rail. I am installing an EGW base and my Weaver Grand Slam 2-10 scope on this rifle. It no longer is a scout rifle. That is OK. It is a great gun other than that iron sight issue.

If Savage comes up with a better iron sight setup, great. I will not need it at this point. I will have a soft-shooting, short bbl .308.

Newtosavage
12-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Been following this since I have owned two of the older Model 11 scout rifles in the past. They had more traditional front sights, but I do like the design of the protected front sight on these later scouts.

Here's my take - Savage should be ashamed of themselves for putting the wrong front sight on these rifles, and they should fix the problem. Full stop.

Suggesting that someone should have to personally modify a factory sight and then be happy with that is ridiculous. Do some of us do those things? Sure we do. But it's because we want to, and under no circumstances should we have to. Savage should fix this problem, period.

Army_eod, I hope you get what you need out of Savage. You are spot-on. It really is poor engineering out of Savage and it's a black mark on them IMO.

Savage scout rifles are a real treat when they work correctly. I gave one of mine to my brother for his 50th birthday, complete with iron sights (that worked) and a Weaver 4x scout scope. He absolutely LOVES that rifle. His son has fallen in love with it too.

I wouldn't be satisfied until Savage fixed the issue if I were you.

army_eod
12-09-2019, 12:42 PM
I just spoke to Savage customer service. They are clueless. All they know is to tell me to "send it in." I told her I am not sending it in and if they do not understand or know they have a problem with this model then it reflects poorly on their business.

She is a robot. No knowledge of firearms. I did say I was not happy with them.

So contacting Savage is futile. I am just making the best of it and setting up a conventional scope mounting.

Good luck to you all.

mnbogboy2
12-09-2019, 01:03 PM
I just spoke to Savage customer service. They are clueless. All they know is to tell me to "send it in." I told her I am not sending it in and if they do not understand or know they have a problem with this model then it reflects poorly on their business.

She is a robot. No knowledge of firearms. I did say I was not happy with them.

So contacting Savage is futile. I am just making the best of it and setting up a conventional scope mounting.

Good luck to you all.

Often customer service people are trained to "act dumb" when known problems surface. This scout sight issue and right now their new "axis" style bolt/FTF problems are two that come to mind. Members posts reflect this. Often liability for recall is their greatest fear. A lot of companies practice this.

Stumpkiller
12-09-2019, 05:07 PM
That sucks. One "solution" might be to find a sadly discontinued Lyman 57 for the Savage . . . but you shouldn't have to and that would involve additional receiver holes.

I had a similar issue shooting Remington slugs from a Hastings barrel and was able to find a very shallow Williams rear leaf from Brownells. The rear on the Scout looks very much like the Williams 336 WGRS but I don't see where there are any lower peep slides for the ramp that might be an after-market fix.

army_eod
01-01-2020, 07:32 AM
Keeping this rifle. I just scoped it with a great piece of glass. Thing weighs 9lbs 2 oz unloaded, but is well balanced. It is now a keeper.

I just picked up my new Ruger American Predator in 350 Legend. She is scoped with a Weaver GS and weighs in at 7 lbs 1 oz unloaded. It also ha a 16 inch bbl and muzzle brake. Nice rifle.

Barrythecableman
01-05-2020, 04:57 PM
Makes you wonder what Savage was thinking if you cant zero it out at 50 to 75 yards.

Stumpkiller
01-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Agreed. There is not much sense in running a "Scout" rifle that doesn't have effective iron sights. Otherwise you can save the weight and expense of the iron sights and get a better scope interface with an iron-sightless rifle.

Tannhauser
01-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Obvious this is a QC issue with the front sight assembly simply being too short to properly zero. I’m shocked this left the factory.

brucear
01-19-2020, 10:59 PM
So how much taller do you think the front sight needs to be a 1/16 or an 1/8 inch

army_eod
01-21-2020, 08:06 AM
How much taller? No idea. Regardless, I finally traded this thing away on a 1980 Colt Trooper MK III.

Fotheringill
01-21-2020, 02:13 PM
FORS front opposite, rear same. is there any way to raise the front, it will lower POA and POI, if you are already bottomed out in the rear. Also, if you strike out with Savage, take a look at the various fronts that Lyman makes. It might be the least frustrating and most expeditious way to handle this problem.

Stumpkiller
01-21-2020, 03:15 PM
If you knew someone with a vertical mill that could dovetail out the one piece sight and ears fitting.

I was wondering about grinding flat the front blade and tapping in a thread for a vertical screw post - like an AR-15 front sight.

There are oodles of variations on the threaded post front.
https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_892415125_1.jpg