PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 upgrades

NBhunt3r
02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Just bought my second Stevens 200 decided I'm going to upgrade this one, it's in .223 my plans to upgrade the trigger and stock. Don't plan on spending a ton of money, upgrading the trigger seems pretty self explanatory. But I have some questions about the stock upgrades, I can get a savage 10 accustock fairly cheap will this work? If not what other options are there for a removable box mag.
Thanks
current stock has the single stack internal mag.

big honkin jeep
02-23-2019, 04:47 PM
If you use an accustock you'll have to change out the recoil lug or modify it to fit. Also I think there may be some small dimensional differences in the trigger as well that may need some adjustment for clearance.
I have done a lot of economy projects and tinkering by upgrading factory parts over the years and would probably just bed the existing stock with JB weld and then give it a nice sponge camo paint job.
A couple of other things you may consider if you just want a project would be to maybe change the length of pull or the height of the comb, add a home made adjustable kydex cheek riser, or even use some epoxy to change the grip angle or fatten it up.
The factory stock is pretty much a blank slate for tinkering.
Good luck and have fun

NBhunt3r
02-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Do timney triggers need to be modified?

big honkin jeep
02-23-2019, 05:27 PM
The modification I was referring to is that the trigger channel may have to be opened slightly if I remember right when using a standard trigger in an accustock, I seem to remember the standard trigger may be slightly wider than the accutrigger. Not entirely sure about the width of a Timney.
I definitely know a standard recoil lug wont fit without being replaced or modified.

Robinhood
02-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Let me know when you find some cheap modifications. Lots of folks used to fix the factory trigger. Like shim the sides to capture the trigger a little more securely. Change the spring out for one that is about .040" in diameter. You need to make sure there is plenty of preload on the spring.

NBhunt3r
02-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Picked up so far:
timney trigger
SA picatinny rail
new large bolt handle
leupold Vx-2

Looking into bedding oem stock.