PDA

View Full Version : Caliber determination?

Pages : 1 [2]

lonestardiver
02-26-2019, 09:10 AM
You can probably find a good sporter 7mm-08 barrel for not much money. Re-barrelling is not hard to do or you can have a gunsmith do it. Then post the barrel for sale.

tobnpr
02-26-2019, 07:01 PM
After bringing it to a local gunsmith.....the caliber is..........308 winchester. Definitely NOT what I paid for nor what was advertised. The ad on Gunbroker says no returns accepted. I do think I got a 'deal', but I'm new at this stuff and don't really know. The barrel is new and totally unmarked and is of match grade quality (says the gunsmith). That said, I wanted to buy a light kicking rifle that when scoped weighs sub 7lbs for my wife (or myself) to use as a mountain/walking gun for all sorts of critters here in AK (minus the brownies). Scoped, it weighs in at 8.2lbs which isn't significantly different than her 30.06 sporterized M1917 Enfield. It definitely weighs more than I anticipated and will have enough kick that doesn't make it significantly different than the 30.06. I'm gonna sell the gun and search for a Model Seven or Tikka. However, I'd like to ask to be compensated for shipping, the chamber cast, and stamping I had put on the barrel from the seller on Gunbroker. Is this a reasonable request? Or should I 'bite the bullet' and take my losses? Thanks!!

Couple of thoughts...

First, "no returns" does NOT apply when there is misrepresentation at best- and potential fraud at worst- involved. I doubt the seller knew it is a .308- have you contacted them to let them know the firearm is not as advertised? They are legally obligated to accept the return, regardless of their stated policy. I would be very surprised if they did not tell you to send it back (at their expense) and refund your purchase price.

Recourse if not? Gunbroker (false/deceptive advertising), and the BATF- if it came to it. I doubt he'd want a phone call from their local field office.

Felt recoil is related to the weight of the pills. A .308 sending 180's will begin to approach your .06 (still 15% less), but with 150's will have roughly just 20% more felt recoil than a 7-08 with 140's.

Texas10
02-27-2019, 12:08 AM
I seriously doubt a barrel has ever left the factory on an assembled rifle without having been roll stamped, mainly because it would be illegal under federal law. The law stipulates that all arms are required to me marked with the makers name and where it was made. Can't recall if that's part of the NFA of 1933 or the GCA of 1968, but it's in one of them.

Just read a thread on another site regarding a new Savage with no caliber marking on the barrel. He sent it back to the factory and they replaced the barrel. So no, in the least I wasn't making that up, however I was depending upon the veracity of his post.

Robinhood
02-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Or should I 'bite the bullet' and take my losses? Thanks!!

This is a principle thing. Some guy sells a 308 as a 7mm08 because 308's are a dime a dozen and 708's are a little easier to sell. You buy it and find out it was a lie. Then you say "awe shucks, I guess I'll take the hit." Tomorrow this guy sells a 308 as a 6.5 Creedmoor. Why? Because it worked the last time.

If nothing else raise all kinds of hell even if your going to keep it. You never know. The guy might agree to send you a couple of hundred for your trouble. Then you can do whatever you want. IMHO

Sorry you got screwed though.

BB68
02-27-2019, 01:23 PM
O.P. have you said anything to the seller? If not send a friendly message conveying the problem.

charlie b
02-27-2019, 08:34 PM
I agree a note to the seller is in order. They should refund the money and take it as a return if they are honest folks.

If they say 'tough' then a note to gunbroker about a fraudulent dealer is in order. As well as a very poor rating. Those of us who buy from online sites read the customer comments carefully. A note from someone like you would make me not buy anything from them.

If you do get 'stuck' with it then at least a few folks would be willing to buy it, especially if you can determine the source of the barrel. If it is an aftermarket match grade it will be worth a bit.

zloe
03-01-2019, 04:30 PM
That sounds to me like the factory "grit" I find in the threads on every Savage I've pulled apart.
Hate that stuff.