PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP-SR build thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

DeltaNu1142
02-19-2019, 11:39 AM
I create a build thread in other forums for everything else... cars, trucks, motorcycles... so I thought I’d document my progress on my new rifle here.

I purchased a new Model 10 FCP-SR (Savage SKU # 22441) on 2/18/19. I was mainly interested in the following features:

24” heavy fluted/threaded barrel
Accu-trigger
Accu-stock
10-rnd mag

EDIT: I called Savage to get some more info on the rifle. I wanted to know whether it came with a metal trigger guard, and it does. Serial number is K939xxx, and it was manufactured 3/26/2018. Savage CS stated that some of the “newer” FCP-SR rifles came with a 20 MOA scope rail from the factory, but mine has a 0 MOA rail.

The purpose of this firearm is for recreational shooting out to 1000 yards and possibly some hunting, if I can find a rig that’ll allow me to comfortably carry a 12+ lb rifle. I’m looking at FFP optics from Vortex and Athlon. Leupold if I can find a deal, or Sig Tango4/6 if I can find one to try out.

I'm planning to paint this rifle with Aluma-Hyde epoxy, and I wanted a decent factory stock to start with (and not ruin an expensive aftermarket stock).

I found Ross Schuler’s contact info (https://rossbrakes.com/) in a thread somewhere and reached out to him for a muzzle brake. I just got off the phone with him, and I’m already wowed by his level of service. He’s offered to time the muzzle brake to my specific rifle by using the threads in the thread protector so I don’t need a crush washer or jam nut; how cool is that? And you can’t beat the price... so the first mod is in the books, even before the rifle has arrived.

DesertDug
02-19-2019, 01:50 PM
love a good build thread. get to post up some pics.

DeltaNu1142
02-19-2019, 03:00 PM
I added some information from Savage Customer Service to my original post.

Here’s an interesting bit of info: the representative I spoke to thinks that the Savage parts finder webpage will be coming back at some point. He said that their web store just came back, and he thinks that with the re-write of their site, the parts function will make a return, too.

wbm
02-20-2019, 09:58 AM
I found Ross Schuler’s contact info (https://rossbrakes.com/) in a thread somewhere and reached out to him for a muzzle brake. I just got off the phone with him, and I’m already wowed by his level of service. He’s offered to time the muzzle brake to my specific rifle by using the threads in the thread protector so I don’t need a crush washer or jam nut; how cool is that? And you can’t beat the price... so the first mod is in the books, even before the rifle has arrived.

Ross has been making great muzzle brakes for very good prices for a while. First rate guy to do business with. Ya done good.

Davo308
02-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to this project.

DeltaNu1142
02-22-2019, 08:06 PM
I received the rifle today. Three things, right off the bat, all of which are obvious in the photo:

This is an Accu-stock equipped rifle with a top bolt release. I expected a bottom bolt release. This doesn't really bother me.
The barrel was advertised as fluted. It is not. This bothers me a bit. This rifle is pretty nose-heavy.
When I called Savage with the serial number, they assured me that the rifle left the factory with a 0 MOA rail. This has a 20 MOA rail. That's great... except I already purchased a 20 MOA rail based on what Savage told me.

https://i.imgur.com/nl6RnSJ.jpg

I installed a Caldwell XLA bipod I had sitting around. I expected to pick my stock pack out of the mailbox today because it's showing as delivered... but it wasn't there. So now I have to chase that around. Thanks USPS.

Off to a slow start... but at least on Monday I'll be able to get my thread protector out to Mr. Schuler to get a muzzle brake started.

big honkin jeep
02-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Does the sku number on the box match the sku you ordered?
The barrel not being fluted if that's what I ordered would be a really really big deal for me. Not just for the weight and any cooling advantage but also for the cool aesthetic factor. Pretty sure I'd jump up and down till somebody got that right.

I sure hope you got some good intel on the parts finder. It was a big help to me on multiple occasions

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress

DeltaNu1142
02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
I’ll have to check the box. The serial number they shipped matches the rifle.

I am a bit bothered by it. The thing is, this shop only had this one Savage FCP, and I paid $589 for it. I reached out to them via email to let them know the rifle isn’t as advertised, and the person that wrote me back said, “We don’t have one with a fluted barrel.” Well... no ****. You only had one to begin with, and it’s the one I’m holding. Since I bought the last one, their website no longer shows the details of the item I bought.

My options are to return for a refund or keep it. I don’t think I can find another one at this price. And I probably wouldn’t be refunded my transfer fee. This sort of thing would usually spin me up, but I like the rifle and can tolerate the barrel.

The other thing is, I talked to Savage and provided the serial number, and they told me without hesitation that it came with a 0 MOA rail... but it didn’t. It’s hard to blame the distributor for what’s in the box if even Savage doesn’t know.

6mmBR_Shooter
02-25-2019, 01:54 PM
One of my most accurate rifles weighs almost 14lbs, and the couple timers I've attempted to lug it in the woods was unpleasant. No matter what I tried, I could not find a comfortable slung position. If you figure something out, please post it.

DeltaNu1142
02-25-2019, 02:04 PM
I had intended this to be something I could walk with, but it might end up too heavy. If I do try, it'll be with a rifle pack of some sort.

tufrthnails
02-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Following along on the build. I love my 10 FCP-sr. It came as you expected Fluted barrel and 0 MOA rail. Which caliber is it?

DeltaNu1142
02-25-2019, 07:54 PM

I talked to Savage again today. They ran through the build sheet and said this one didn't get fluted... and it came with a 20 MOA rail. And that there's a lot of turnover in CS, and the last guy I talked to might have been less-than-informed.

Anyway, I'm moving ahead with what I've got.

DeltaNu1142
02-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Here are a couple of Home Depot parts bags for reference:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190226/77bf53ade998f638ead19b272dc63719.jpg

The stock is right around 1-1/2” wide. If you add two layers of 0.125” Kydex, that comes to 1-3/4”. These fasteners are for a Karsten-style cheek riser. As a bonus, the heads are 5/32” drive, just like the stock.

EDIT: These bolts are just a bit too long. Rather than returning them, I’ll probably just cut them a little shorter.

yoda4x4
02-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Awesome build along. Can't wait to see where this goes. Best of luck.

One question - how much louder will the muzzle brake make this gun? I've never seen nor heard a side by side set. Heck, I've never even heard a gun with one attached.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

DeltaNu1142
02-26-2019, 12:01 PM
One question - how much louder will the muzzle brake make this gun? I've never seen nor heard a side by side set. Heck, I've never even heard a gun with one attached.

Very frankly, I’ve never tried one. Based on what I’ve read, it’ll be somewhere between, “Wow, that’s loud,” and “Give me ten seconds to move away before you shoot that thing again.” Depending on how much I use this rifle, I may get a suppressor instead, but for the time being my only significant spending will be on the rifle, optics/rings, and match ammo. Everything else will be budget: leftover bipod, homemade cheek riser, and maybe a rattle-can paint job after I fill in the checkering with epoxy.

DeltaNu1142
02-26-2019, 02:10 PM
I made a quick mock-up template for my cheek riser. I’ll probably tighten up that radius at the back corner. I haven’t measured it for a Kydex sheet yet, but it’s around 8”x8” or less.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190226/0edd3c4269dcf6434d743392d53653e8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190226/9fcd3cc18603bc17b6dca25cd13efd0c.jpg

I’ll scan it, clean it up, print it, and cut it out on a fresh sheet before transferring it to Kydex. I’ll share the final template here in case anyone wants it. This will go on my stock, mounted with flush hardware under my stock pack. I’m expecting to epoxy some Velcro to the Kydex so that the pack doesn’t slide around.

Frontier Gear
02-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Looking good. Odd about the flutes.

Muzzle brakes can be loud. A lot depends on what brake it is. I've shot some .223's AR pistols with a muzzle brake that is downright painful, even with ear plugs. It felt like you were getting smacked in the forehead with every shot. The point of a muzzle brake on a low-to-medium recoil gun is so you don't loose sight of your target. It minimizes the barrel rise. They make sense in cases where you want a fast follow up shot. Noise is the trade off. If you just like the looks of them, then that is a good reason too :cool:

DeltaNu1142
02-27-2019, 09:50 AM
I watched a Savage Model 10 review awhile ago on YouTube that indicated that the factory scope rail came loose after a few hundred rounds. They pulled off the freshly-zeroed scope and found oil in the tapped mounting holes.

I decided to have a look today. The rail mounting screws are Torx T-10. The rear two holes were dry, but the front two were dripping with oil. The frontmost hole was filled to the brim.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190227/00c8281c2060b3c67649c6b4f3feebb0.jpg

I cleaned it up as best I could and soaked the oil up from the holes. I reinstalled each one with a little blue Loctite. The only weird part is that the frontmost screw didn’t thread in as far as the others, and hit a positive stop. Is that part of the rail design? Does that screw sit higher? Now that I’ve installed them with Loctite, I don’t want to pull them back out if I don’t have to.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190227/9abdbc27f27b725ef6f873ce5d5bd23d.jpg

I’m also rethinking my cheek riser. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just build up the comb with foam instead.

Robinhood
02-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Just remember to leave enough room to get your bolt out and back in. I have also seen non adjustable cheek risers get in the way of cleaning rods.

DeltaNu1142
02-27-2019, 12:46 PM
For my kydex template yesterday, I pulled the bolt all the way out to make sure I could clear it to remove it completely. I didn't think about cleaning rods, though.