PDA

View Full Version : Don't see this very often

Pages : [1] 2

J.Baker
02-19-2019, 01:16 AM
Not often you see a single shooter get a quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRhsbh5v3I

Evlshnngns
02-19-2019, 02:07 AM
Thats crazy

yobuck
02-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Just a great video, one of the best ive seen. They for sure have their act together, thanks for posting that.
But i wonder if the guy even realizes he is using an inferior scope? lol

mudpig
02-19-2019, 10:06 AM
simply awesome!!!

BB68
02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Not to take away anything from this video, but who else would have started with the farthest one? I have to watch later when I can have sound.

DesertDug
02-19-2019, 02:36 PM
thanks for sharing

big honkin jeep
02-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Nice shooting. Another good reason for more ammo capacity.

plasticweld
02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
That was a great video, thanks for sharing.

Would any of you experienced callers take the time to explain to me, the calls used to bring them in. It went from coyotes to what sounded like wounded rabbit to then injured coyote to get them to turn around.

I live in good coyote country but I seem to be either over calling or using the wrong call at the wrong time. Any help with this would be appreciated, I am sure I am not the only guy who is struggling with this.

J.Baker
02-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Just a great video, one of the best ive seen. They for sure have their act together, thanks for posting that.
But i wonder if the guy even realizes he is using an inferior scope? lol

I wondered who else would catch that. I mean for Pete's sake...had he been using a high quality scope like a Tasco or Simmons he could have easily gotten all 5. :p

He was also using it all wrong. I didn't hear him dial in a single click. How is it even possible to use a scope without twisting the dials?

J.Baker
02-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Would any of you experienced callers take the time to explain to me, the calls used to bring them in. It went from coyotes to what sounded like wounded rabbit to then injured coyote to get them to turn around.

I live in good coyote country but I seem to be either over calling or using the wrong call at the wrong time. Any help with this would be appreciated, I am sure I am not the only guy who is struggling with this.

Wish I could help you there, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you and everyone seems to have their own preference for calling sequences. Just have to experiment and find what works best for you and in your area.

This link has a lot of good info: https://www.coyotehunting101.com/coyote-calling/

sharpshooter
02-20-2019, 12:45 AM
It may sound like a good idea to start with the farthest one, but most plans never work that way. Always start with the surest shot, which is not always the closest. If there are more than one shooter, you always use the "Stay in your lane" rule. The guy on the right, shoots the one on the right, the guy on the left shoots the one on the left, even if the coyotes change lanes. If there are more than 2 coyotes, the guy on the left takes the second one in. Communication is key, and you need a standard plan. If you have 5 come in, you may want to start from the extreme ends and work to the middle, it depends how close together they are.

BB68
02-20-2019, 11:22 AM

A lot of variables. Bakers comments are correct. Somethings I notice in my local area and can relate to this video;

1) this group are yearlings of the same litter and had never been shot at. I can tell this by the way they pranced out into the field. Educated dogs follow cover, and go down wind, until they absolutely cant any longer, and will wait at the edge observing until they feel safe. After 1 shot run dead straight away from trouble until you cant see them.

2) It seems different locals have different preferences. Where I live you can never get one to come in the daytime. I think it has to do with our regulations allowing the use of pickups and radios. They get chased everytime it snows. Which I have been a part of and if you have a good safe group can be very fun. The area they are hunting in looks a lot rougher and probably doesnt have 1 square mile sections like I do to facilitate pickup hunting.

3) Time of the year. I try to use the current hunting season, if deer season use fawn bleats. Late January - February you can start using challenge calls as they are mating.

plasticweld
02-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Thank you for taking the time to explain some of this. I think the coyotes in this area are hunted pretty hard. If I make one mistake, they disappear like smoke. I have never been able to use a machine call more than once and have had better luck with mouse squeakers than anything else. Watching the video and seeing how far they called them in seems amazing. While I am country, lots of fields and small woodlots most roads are a mile apart or less so there are not that many large chunks of land to ever make the feel secure. If they are spooked around here I have never ever got one to stop and turn around, let alone work their way back towards me. I guess I really need to find someone who will let me tag along to see how it is done.

I am going to check out the video link that J Baker posted and see what I am missing and hopefully pick up some new tricks.

yobuck
02-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Ive never specifically hunted for coyotes, but have seen a few while glassing for deer.
Gut piles seem to attract them, but weve never gotten a shot at one.
I would agree with Fred, always take the best shot first, although with deer, rack size can pose a problem with that.
We have had those type of opportunities on multiple deer numerous times over the many years weve been doing this.
It takes total cooperation, and the willingness to take orders from the director, who is the spotter. We always let the one who found the animal/animals to shoot first. The second shooter is to be totally engaged with staying on the second animal with his glasses, paying no attention to what else is happening. As a rule, deer wont run far during the shooting, so we never redial unless there is a large change in distance. These guys obviously knew their guns very well, which is very helpful, even necessary to accomplish what they did.
Best weve ever done was 4 seasons ago, 3 bucks with 3 hunters out of a group of 4 bucks. One gun, dialed for the first distance of 635 yds. Third buck was about 750, and I was the last shooter, probably my last ever buck. Gun was a 18# 300 Norma built on a Mark V action with a (Ahem) Leupold scope. I90 SMK, limping along at about 3350 fps. We were using an (Ultimate Tripod) as a gun support from a standing position, which definatly speeds things up. Total of 7 shots were fired single fed, with 2 close misses.
But that was deer, not Coyotes, I think what these guys did was much harder, just from the calling aspect alone.
The shooting part, actually isn't all that hard. It also wasent their first time out there for sure, and that needs to be considered.

J.Baker
02-22-2019, 12:04 AM
Nice shooting. Another good reason for more ammo capacity.

You might be in luck. Rumor has it that Fred's working on an adapter for the Magpul 60-round AR15 drum magazine to allow it to be used with AICS bottom metal.

sharpshooter
02-22-2019, 02:54 PM
There's no truth to that rumor........it's a belt fed conversion.

yobuck
02-23-2019, 09:13 AM
There's no truth to that rumor........it's a belt fed conversion.
That would be far better. Besides, it would look really cool having those ammo belts hanging around your neck.
The Pancho Villa look reborn, just don't let the end of the mustash get caught in the belt.
Don't need no steenkin magazines.

Three44s
03-16-2019, 01:23 AM
Farthest out first:

The theory goes like this. By taking the farthest first you are taking the least brave one out, leaving the more brave pack members till later in the sequence. You notice the can?

The can causes uncertainty as to shooter location. A coyote does not want to deliver itself to the shooter and is likely to pause for a look around sooner after the lead starts flying to ascertain the best retreat. The adult distress/fight sound at the end provokes coyotes to pause more and invokes more curiosity.

A chicken liver coyote won’t succumb to the temptation to return or pause like a more brave coyote so you kill the farthest first because the odds of seeing it after the lead let’s loose is zero. Where farthest first works best is with an active den and a good decoy dog.

But these guys did not shoot farthest first. The lead dog was shot first. Second was a middle dog that stopped in the open on lip squeaking. Then pandemonium broke out because the remaining two went into the tree covered hillside. The least brave coyote left immediately, no shot. As the curiosity built the two on the hillside thought they had enough protection with the trees to chance second and third looks. The shooter was both lucky and cool enough to thread his shots into fur .... twice!

The adult in distress/fight sequence proved too enticing for these young buck males.

Three44s

yobuck
03-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Just think how good these guys could be, if only they did it right. lol
As they say, hindsite is always 20/20, but then so is watching others on video.
I personally think they did a bang up job getting 4 out of five.
If I were hiring, they would have a job.

sharpshooter
03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Yeah...rational thinking is always easier after the event. You can't predict how they will come in or from what direction. Years ago on a hunt in Montana, we hunted the same spot 4 days in a row, called in the exact same place, and killed dogs every day. Every day was something different, and you could not predict anything. Ended up killing 5 in that spot in 4 days, so it got marked as a "honey hole" on our map.