PDA

View Full Version : Don't see this very often

Pages : 1 [2]

Sled
03-18-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm waiting on one of their videos where they are sitting there in their chairs, calling, and the yotes come in from behind them....

BB68
03-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Sled that has happened to me. All I saw was the grass moving as it ran away, could have be a fox too.

mark r
03-18-2019, 05:32 PM
that was a great video, it was like your sitting right there, also great shooting, you fellows deserve a brown bottle after that hunt.

Ryfulman
03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
That was a great video, thanks for sharing.

Would any of you experienced callers take the time to explain to me, the calls used to bring them in. It went from coyotes to what sounded like wounded rabbit to then injured coyote to get them to turn around.

I live in good coyote country but I seem to be either over calling or using the wrong call at the wrong time. Any help with this would be appreciated, I am sure I am not the only guy who is struggling with this.

coyotes are fickle. I’ve learned that I had to use calls that the dogs know,as in what vermin they hunt and eat. So becoming familiar with their specific eating habits and what animals they have available to them should go a long way getting them close enough to cull.

Three44s
03-23-2019, 04:17 AM
I'm waiting on one of their videos where they are sitting there in their chairs, calling, and the yotes come in from behind them....

well, I have thought a fellow could use a camoed periscope of sorts?

Give you a 360 look around? Make it thermal?

Three44s

yobuck
03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Im of the opinion some hunters have a shotgun along for that very reason.

Three44s
03-23-2019, 10:33 AM
I could not paste and copy a link for something interesting so I could not capture it, however it is easy to search.

Search this: rovir thermal

Enjoy

Three44s

J.J.
03-26-2019, 09:19 PM
This is an awesome video and an absolute perfect hunt for video!
The terrain was very conducive to calling the coyote in and seeing them from a long distance as they approached. The snow provide a great contrast to see the movement of the coyotes when they were up in the trees and the process and which they took the coyotes worked out perfectly.
You can watch many coyote hunting videos where two shooters call in 5 coyotes and only get one or two of them.
This guy got 4 of the 5 shooting solo ON CAMERA!
Good stuff right there! [emoji106]

The only constant or guarantee in predator hunting is the guarantee that they'll never "always do this" or "always do that" or do what they're supposed to do.
You can predict what they are likely to do end plan for that but you must expect anything.

As far as taking the furtherest one first, it's great in theory and had they just been out there with two shooters, maybe that would have been what they did. But they were filming. Their goal was to capture great footage of the coyote's approach and get a definite kill on camera. You don't know when you take your first shot if the other coyotes are going to run a 40MPH until they are out of sight or if they're going to spin around a couple of times and try to figure out what's up and provide you with more shot opportunities.
So, as mentioned above, you take the sure shot. You issue a 100% dirt nap! Then, if nothing else works out, you have killed 1 of 5 on video! That is a good hunt.
IF, you are presented with a second shot, it's icing on the cake. If you're able to get the second kill on camera, more icing.
When you are able to get 4 out of 5 kills with zoomed in and focused video of each, well you have yourself a cream filled cake with chocolate morsels in the cream topped with a sweat cream icing covered with a sugar glaze and sprinkles on top! [emoji16]
As they said in the video, it really doesn't get much better than that.

As far as the call sounds used, they set up a scenario that mimicked some invading or trespassing neighboring coyotes. They led off with a female howl which can spark both a breading interest and a territorial issue. And in the case of a territorial issue, a female howl is less threatening and less dominate.
Then they switched to a distress sound. It sounded like a rabbit distress, maybe Cottontail, but the specific species is not really important as a coyote does not know what animals are or are not from that area. They do not hear a animal squealing and think to themselves, "Oh something is dying! Yummy! Oh wait that sounds like a jack rabbit. We don't have jack rabbits around here!"
No they just understand something is dying and it is an opportunity for a meal. Coyotes are opportunist!
But the distress soind made believe that the invading coyites made a kill. A kill in their territory.

Then following the shots they switch to Coyote distress sounds or "ki-yis" and that gave them the second shot. Then I believe it was a coyote fight sound that brought the last two back in.

I will agree that these all seemed like fresh eared coyotes as they do typically circle downwind to see what is making this squealing animal die. They typically want to know what is making them die so they can determine whether or not they can whoop them and take their food. I believe this was in Wisconsin so the chance of running into a wolf is greater than if they were in Texas. But even in Texas where a coyote is top dog so to speak, they will steal typically circle downwind to gauge the competition.

Now as someone else had mentioned, this is on the tail end of breading season so that, the inexperienced coyotes combined with the howls, could have prompted the direct approach. But they were still a good ways away on the first shot so there was still time to circle.

Someone else mentioned bait piles or gut piles. That works and coyotes will clean up carrion, but they will typically do that at their leisure. Meaning they may come in at 8 p.m. tonight, noon tomorrow or 2 a.m. the next night. Or they may skip 3 days altogether. They know it's a guaranteed meal so there is no urgency. Sometimes you can provoke an investigation by sounding like an invading coyote on their food supply but typically bait piles are casual.

Anyone interested in calling should start watching as many videos about it as possible. Just search for "predator hunting" or "coyote hunting" and start watching. Listen to the calls used. Pay attention to the location chosen to call from. Pay attention to where the sun is during calling. Pay attention to the cover they're set up against. If given, pay attention to the wind direction. When a coyote responds to a call, pay attention to the body language. They have tells just like a poker player they will give clues as to when they are getting a bit leery of the situation in about to bolt. They will give Clues that they're on to you. They will give clues that they are comfortable with the situation. They will be there you just have to figure out how to read them. That's what watching many many videos will help you accomplish. Reading their body language.

I believe you can still find "Bucking the Odds" hunts on YouTube. Uriah and Lance had about 40 different hunt videos at one time and all of them were great!

If you want to see some long range hunts check out the TheDartman76 on YouTube. He and The Neighbor REALLY stretch out their range! Sometimes much further than the camera!

Or you can watch Randy Anderson with Primos. He is great with coyote vocals and it's important to learn what each howl means. You have warning howls, challenge howls, invitation howls, inquisitive howls, and so on. The wrong howl at the wrong time can been a warning sign to an interested coyote and send it packing.

But regardless of who's videos you watch just study everyone you can lay your eyes on! See what works, when it works, when it didn't and try to form an educated guess as to why it did or didn't. This will help you develop YOUR calling tactics and speed up the learning curve. Cause what works for these fellas in Wisconsin may not work for me in Texas and vice versa. Or for you where you hunt.

But back to these fellas, awesome hunt, awesome video and an awesome job putting it all together!
Congrats guys! [emoji106]

~ JJ [emoji252]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk