PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a det/mag stock

Appleseed
10-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Anyone offer suggestions, am prepped to bed this det/mag stock. Should the mag well be completely filled with modeling clay, or just make a lip below the action cut out and grease the well and action with release?

Elkbane
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I did not put anything at all in mine; but I used Devcon Steel, which has the consistency of peanut butter and doesn't flow much. I just trimmed off the little that went into the mag well with a dremmel tool after I was done. Unless you're using a bedding compound that's really viscous, I can't see where you'd need to fill the mag well.

Elkbane

Appleseed
10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, that would be better material than the devcon I just used. It was too thin and set quickly. It did a good job however, would look nicer with a skim coat of the devcon steel. I filled the well with clay, made a lip, and was able to bed the narrow top portions as well. I drilled all surfaces for bonding. Being it is a cheapo synthetic stock, it may not hold the small narrow top-side around the well.

Appleseed
10-15-2010, 08:52 AM
The action popped away from the stock fine, the molding clay was a pain to clean however. The action fits very snugly with the bedding holding along the top of the well sides. I may remove it later if there is sign of binding. I went back and relieved the material from under the barrel nut.

I used a member's photos to help me on the bedding job, his board name is lion. If anyone needs simple step by step photos, get them in his post in the picture post topics.

Lion
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi there!
I´m pleased that you found the pictures helpful.
So long, Lion