PDA

View Full Version : Salt Bath Annealing, Pro's and Con's.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

PhilC
08-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the update. Am in process of moving into new reloading area, new bench, etc. so am behind on getting the PID box built. Probably be another few weeks before I can start.

6mmBR_Shooter
10-12-2019, 10:59 PM
I wired up a Lee Melter this morning with a PID and SSR, and have been very impressed with how closely this keeps the temp (within 3 degrees Celsius of the set point). I think I'm about $65 into it total, and wish I had done this sooner.

No range results yet of course, but resizing is certainly easier and the force required feels much more consistent. One of my super accurate 6BR loads at 100 did not have a great SD/ES, and really opens up more than I like at 600. I'm hoping that this is the fix I needed.

TexSavage
03-31-2022, 10:40 AM
I would be interested in reading your experience with PID controller when you get it working, Phil.

And since you're going to disassemble the unit it wire for the PID, I highly recommend the high temp paint on all aluminum parts. Also a high temp silicon seal on the lower pot cap to keep salt from seeping under the cap.

Please write back with your PID building experience and overall satisfaction with it.

One other caution when using the Ballistics Recreations thermocouple is be sure you don't twist the plug end. The wires are exposed inside the plug and when twisted they'll short and you'll get erroneous temp readings that will throw your PID into conniptions.

I just saw this article. I have been salt bath annealing since 2019 and love the results. My Lee Lead Melter just blew a heating element and in the process of cleaning it up to get ready for a new element I ran across your article and comments. I've been trying to find a seal/sealant and I was wondering if you could point one out to me. I'm not having luck as the temp of the salt bath is about 525-550C. I do use a PID controller set up I built. I'm also toying with the idea of removing the resistor on the Lee and just allowing the PID to have all control. Any Wisdom and comments would be greatly appreciated!