PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting: Shotgun or Rifle?

Pages : [1] 2

J.Baker
02-11-2019, 01:00 AM
So what do you use to hunt rabbits, a shotgun or a rifle?

Around here everyone I know uses a shotgun as they're either hunting with beagles or are in a small group (typically 3-4) working a fence row or RR tracks. I know rabbit hunting with a rimfire rifle or even a 22 Hornet or .25-20 used to be quite popular so I'm just curious if folks in other regions still hunt with rifles or if shotgunning has taken over everywhere.

I've primarily hunted them with a shotgun over the years, but if there's a fresh inch or so of snow on the ground I love to venture into the woods with my trusty 22LR to bag a few. Fresh snow helps them stand out and you'll know all the tracks are fresh from that night/morning.

Stumpkiller
02-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Bow. ;-) (Seriously, bunnies holding under the brambles with blunts is a hoot).

Though I frequently use a rimfire pistol or rifle. I also pester them with a flintlock shotgun.

One of my best bunnie-guns is a S&W M-14 Target Masterpiece with .38 wadcutters. I used to shot PPC and in the winter it was good sport to head shoot sitting bunnies.

BB68
02-11-2019, 11:59 AM
One of my favorites, Stevens 311 410. Cant count how many I dispatched with that shotgun.

DesertDug
02-11-2019, 01:17 PM
May be over kill but 16", 5.56 ar is what I will carry for out and about walks looking for something to eat.

big honkin jeep
02-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Shotgunning behind beagles seems to be the preferred method here in the south.

22 Mag
02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
I like a semi-auto 22LR a good dog and fresh snow. Best time ever!!

NicfromAlabama
02-11-2019, 09:08 PM
I don't really hunt much at all and prefer to fish more than hunt. But, most around here to my knowledge hunt with shotguns and either use beagles or walk them up and shoot'em on the run. I went with a coworker 3 years ago and that is how we did it, just walking and looking. Unless one is a dedicated rabbit hunter, I would be willing to bet many just jump them without a dog. Probably very few dog hunters now compared to years ago, and probably very few rabbit hunters of any kind as well if I had to guess.

celltech
02-11-2019, 09:58 PM
Never have hunted rabbits but not sure I would have thought of using a shotgun! Shoulder the .22 and give them a sporting chance!

NicfromAlabama
02-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Never have hunted rabbits but not sure I would have thought of using a shotgun! Shoulder the .22 and give them a sporting chance!

You better be a helluva shot when they go shooting out of cover and running through cover.:smile-new: Them little buggers are fast and agile.

You might be a super good shot for all I know. I know I'm not. Shotguns can be a bit safer under some circumstances as well.

J.Baker
02-12-2019, 01:10 AM
Definitely don't see as many rabbit hunters as you used to, that's for sure. Couple reasons for that I think....

First, the railroads made all the rail beds off-limits which in many areas (like mine) were the best places to go rabbit hunting as they generally had a good thick row of brush/thicket on either side of the tracks that three guys could easily hunt (one on the tracks and one on the outside of the brush on either side.

Secondly, the ever increasing numbers of coyotes in areas where they didn't used to be so prevalent has really affected the rabbit populations.

Third, farmers continue to tear out and plow under every inch of habitat they can to get that extra few rows of crops in. I know of three really good sized woods, each easily 100+ acres in size that were clear cut, bull dozed and plowed under in the last 5-10 years. I grew up hunting two of the three and was utterly speechless when I drove through that area and saw that they were gone the first time. Lots of good memories deer, rabbit and squirrel hunting with my dad in those woods when I was growing up.

As for hunting bunnies with a pistol or rifle, it's poor form (and usually a waste of ammo) to shoot at them on the run. The smart hunter kicks them up then stands perfectly still and watches them as they run off. More often than not they will only run 20-30 yards and then stop right at the edge of another brush pile or thicket giving you a perfect shot at them.

JASmith
02-12-2019, 10:46 AM
All of the above plus pistols. The 38 Watcutter was particularly effective, as was the Lyman 215 ge Keith style bullet loaded to 44 Special velocities.

The choice depends on one’s interests and safety constraints. E. g. hunting where there are a lot of buildings or farm animals might suggest teh shotgun while in the boonies one could go with whatever has the reach to get them!

BTW, the AR is not overkill when properly used. I neatly removed heads from cottontails using a 222 Rem mag on my younger days. The meat was all there and undamaged,

12bhunting
02-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Always used a 22 rifle. May be different up north, but around here they always stop, might not be long, but usually long enough to get a good head Shot.

J.Baker
02-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Always used a 22 rifle. May be different up north, but around here they always stop, might not be long, but usually long enough to get a good head Shot.

Might help the rest of us know where "around here" is if you put your location in your profile. :thumb:

12bhunting
02-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Might help the rest of us know where "around here" is if you put your location in your profile. :thumb:

Thought it was listed... Monticello Florida

Robinhood
02-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Fireants have all but eliminated the rabbits in Texas. I remeber walking fields in my younger days and hearing all of the rabbit an field mice babies squeeking(screaming) in agony as they were being bitten by the ants. Sad sight when you pulled the brush back to see ants all over a screaming baby animal.

yoda4x4
02-13-2019, 12:54 PM
In the limited experiences I've had hunting for rabbits, the weapon of choice has always been a 12 gauge shotgun. The times I've shot rabbits were usually done in the midst of hunting pheasant. Every now and then a rabbit would pop out and we'd take a shot at a running rabbit.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Stumpkiller
02-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Here are a couple images from a two-day pay-to-play rabbit hunt that benefited St. Jude's Childrens' Hospital. Traditional bows only.

What a hoot. We'd take turns pushing the brush or waiting for "runners". I think for 18 shooters maybe two rabbits were hurt that weekend. ;-) I can tell you on the second day my hip joints felt like they were going to implode.

https://i.imgur.com/IahEiIj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/t1SeDrR.jpg

J.Baker
02-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Looks like a great - but exhausting time there Stumpkiller

DesertDug
02-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Ya that looks fun. Using blunt heads? I carrry one in my quiver but with wheel bow. I lose lots of arrows and they cost a lot.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-15-2019, 07:08 PM
Years back, Game Preserve (Northern California) was opened up for Rabbit hunting just after Pheasant season. Rabbits were over running the place.
Shot guns only. Think there were 5 of us? Shot maybe 20/25? Traded them at the gate for shot gun shells.:cool: