PDA

View Full Version : The Savage "Limited Edition" rifle...

tobnpr
02-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Is it worth the coin as a collectible?
I remember they had one back in '08 for the 50th anniversary of the 110- wonder if they're worth more today?

Definitely a "cool factor" anyway, but wondering if it might be an investment, as well- and not just another rifle that depreciates the day you sign for it.

charlie b
02-08-2019, 10:47 PM
I would not pay a premium for one. I'd probably never pay a premium for a 'limited edition'. They have been done to death by every mfg.

About the only thing going for a used one is that it probably was not fired much :)

Newtosavage
02-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If they sell them all, then there is your answer.

J.Baker
02-09-2019, 10:37 AM
I've seen a couple of the 2008 50th Anniversary Model 110's for sale online lately in the $1200-1400 range, but they aren't moving at those prices. That said, guns like these aren't short-term investments and if you expect to profit off one you best be prepared to keep it boxed up and stored away in minty unfired condition for at least 20-30 years. Even then the increase in value will likely be minimal and will be dictated more by inflation that it is the actual value of the item going up.

Regarding the "They have been done to death by every mfg." statement, yes that's true - and I would agree that those limited models from those brands won't ever be worth much, but Savage doesn't put out a ton of limited edition models. They have had what - two special Model 99's (1970 and 1995) to commemorate the 75th and 100th anniversaries of the original Model 1895, and this will only be the second limited edition Model 110. Even if we throw in the 99 PE and 110 PE models that were offered through the latter half of the 1960's that would still only bring it up to three limited editions for each model. For nearly 125 years of making guns I would say that's quite the opposite of "done to death" on Savage's part. And this isn't like Ruger's 50th for the 10/22 where they just laser etched the 50th Ann. icon on every 10/22 bolt they made that year, this is a limited run with very unique features and true limited production.

You don't buy one of these because you want a Savage rifle to take out hunting or to plink around with at the range. You don't buy one of these with hopes and dreams that it may one day be worth 4x what you paid for it. You buy one of these because you have a true passion for Savage firearms as a means to express that passion and because you know it's something that's rare and not everybody is going to have one. It's the same reason you would buy a Calloway Corvette over a standard off the line production Corvette - you want something special and unique and to you that uniqueness is worth the extra cost to get it.

Rest assured that if I was in a better financial position my order would already be in, but as much as I would love to have one it's just not a priority or necessity so it takes a back seat to everything else. But, based on what I see around this site these days there are very few true Savaholics anymore and most people just have a casual interest because they currently own or just recently purchased one.

sharpshooter
02-09-2019, 04:20 PM
^^^^^^ That's just a generic excuse......;) If they made a limited run of LH 220 Swifts, you'd have the first one.....Hammer would get the rest.

J.Baker
02-09-2019, 11:29 PM
^^^^^^ That's just a generic excuse......;) If they made a limited run of LH 220 Swifts, you'd have the first one.....Hammer would get the rest.

Naah....While I really wanted one when I first saw them - even emailed Savage to see about getting a lefty (no dice) - but the more I thought about it the less i felt the need for one. Would be nice to have, but like with the 50th Anniversary model I'm sure I'll manage to survive without one.