PDA

View Full Version : Blind Mag Well Question

phaseley
02-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Good morning, everyone. This is my first post since joining, so please excuse any lack of forum decorum I may have. I very much would appreciate your help and input.

I have 2 savage 110's. Both Left-handed, both flat rear recievers. First one is an late1990's in 300wm, has top loading, stagger feed blind mag well, and top bolt release. I have done some work on this rifle, including having a Stockdale stock made, so the original wood stock is off and in good shape.

The second 110 is much older, serial number starts with the letter "A", chambered in 7MM Mag. It has the detachable mag box, but with the bottom metal. Got it VERY cheap, had a cracked bolt body and the stock was "custom" and not salvageable.

My plan is to build a 264WM, and I would like to use my extra stock from my newer 110, but the detachable mag does not fit. I would like to find a newer blind mag well like on my newer 110 and use that, but I can seem to source one. I cant find the part on Numrich, and Brownells may have one that works, but it is on backorder.

My questions are:
1-would the newer-type mag well (like on my late 90's 110) work on the older receiver? I have looked at them both side by side, and it looks like they would. WHERE CAN I FIND ONE???
2-would it be easier to find a correct stock for the old receiver? These are left-handed recievers, so not a big selection to choose from. I have seen some on ebay, but it doesn't look like it comes with the button on side of stock for mag release. Numrich doesnt have those parts.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to have this setup ready for Antelope season this year if possible, dont want to order a barrel until I figure out this part of the build. Thanks in advance.

Greg

South Prairie jim
02-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Have you called Savage?
thought #2 single shot follower

phaseley
02-06-2019, 02:01 AM
I did call Savage parts department, they told me they do not carry any stagger feed magazine parts. Can you elaborate on the #2 single shot follower? Would that fit into the bottom of my receiver? Thank you for the reply, I will do some research but if you or anyone else has more info that would be wonderful.

Greg

J.Baker
02-06-2019, 12:44 PM
1. Yes, your blind magazine hardware from your newer rifle would work on the older one since they're both staggered feed. As to where to find old staggered feed parts, good luck! Savage hasn't made any of the old staggered feed parts since around 2007 and what was left-over has long since been sold off through Numrich's. Only place you'll find such parts is at gun shows, ebay or gunbroker.

2. Finding a stock for an old LH detachable magazine system with the side push button release will likely be as hard as finding the magazine parts above. Again, they've just been out of production for so long now they're hard to find. Boyds still offers a RH option for these, but not LH option.

Since the screw spacing on the long-actions is the same between those older models you have and the newer (current production) models, there's a possibility you could convert it over to a centerfeed system but I'll let those with first-hand experience in that area go into more detail on that option.

phaseley
02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful

If I go the route of trying to find a stagger feed blind mag off ebay/gunbroker,/gun show, considering I want to build a 264 WM, would any mag box that fit 7mm mag, 300 MG, or 338 WM work? I know the overall length is fine, but is much bending of metal required to hold the round, if any at all?

And should I got the route of getting a vintage stock, were there any variations on the side button mag release stocks I should be aware of? There is one on ebay now, the description is "Savage 110C long action Y50" It is left hand and looks to work, but the Y50 concerns me, does the Y stand for youth? And were the internal dimensions consistent? I would hate to buy it and the mag well is not big enough, same problem as my late 90s vintage stock that is too tight and does look to have enough wood to allow me to enlarge it as needed. Thanks.

-Greg

J.Baker
02-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Not sure about the 7mm Rem Mag, but I know the 264 WM, 300 WM and 338 WM would all use the same mag box and follower.

On the stock, there might be slight variances over the years but shouldn't be anything major. The Y50 might just be an inspector or date stamp in that particular stock. Biggest thing is confirming the action screw spacing to make sure it's truly a long-action stock and not a Gen I short-action stock.