PDA

View Full Version : I am buying my first Savage rifle tomorrow

marine2070
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I am going to buy the Savage 111 30-06 that big 5 has on sale. I plan to change out the scope, rings and base with Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte,Leupold 1" Detachable Rifleman Rings Weaver-Style Medium Matte, and Weaver 1-Piece Multi Slot Tactical Weaver-Style Base for Savage 110 Series Long Action Round Rear Matte. I plan to change out the barrel down the road to a .308 bull barrel so it will then become a .308 long action rifle.

I plan to use this rifle for paper punching and hunting. I am on a fixed budget (wife's budget) so I am limited on my options. I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake. I would like some feed back on either I am going in the right direction or heading for the cliff.

possum1
10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I have both, the 111 and a Stevens 200. I also am on a budget, I would purchase the Stevens and save more money. You don't have the accu-trigger with the Stevens but the Stevens trigger can be made into a decent trigger.

marine2070
10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info. My problem is the gun shops locally are over price. I ask a few shops how much it would be if they order me a stevens and they quoted me around $500+. I wish I lived out side of California some times. Even if I ordered one online and can get a FFL to do this for me it prob. cost about 400 so I figure I might as well get a 111. Out side Cali there are not the problems we have here /sigh. So far all the gun shops Ive talked too are a pain in the @#$. Figure Il give my business to big 5 then.

dcloco
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
You NEED one more item....paid membership here.

Everybody will still help you with any questions, but, the membership will more than pay for itself in the first two months.

....and...with the paid membership, you have your choice of several options:

Secret Savage/Stevens handshake (as soon as you shake somebody's hand, you KNOW whether they own Savage/Stevens)

or

10% off your first Savage tattoo

or....

1001 excuses that REALLY work - Topic - "How to sneak a new gun in the house and SHOW it to your personal banker" Yeah...this alone is worth the price of admission.

TexasThunder
10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Just don't try puttinjg your reloading station in the bedroom, or use her undies drawer to store your bullets. Bankers have no sense of humor about such things.

marine2070
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
;D well I do plan to reload down the road. I have a friend that going help me out about reloading. I figure with a 30-06 I can switch between a .308 and 30-06. I read that the .308 cartridge will work with a 30-06 magazine. Well I find out once I get my rifle in 10 days.

I was also thinking that maybe Ill get this scope instead "Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte." It going to cost me 140 dollar more and max my budget but looks like a good scope that should last me awhile.