PDA

View Full Version : If you want a factory .224 Valkyrie magazine for your bolt gun-read this!

copterdrvr
01-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Talked to someone at Accurate Mag and he said that they are working on a new insert for the .223/5.56 DSSF magazine that will be made SPECIFICALLY for the .224 Valkyrie round for bolt guns.

He suggested that if they had more feedback they might get things done sooner-if the boss gets a better sense that there is a market, he'll get the engineers on it full time.

Go to their site, they have a place to drop them a message and we'll see what happens!

J.Baker
01-29-2019, 09:46 PM
If you're that convinced you need a bolt-action .224 Valkyrie, just run down to your local dealer and order in a Model 110 Prairie Hunter.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-prairie-hunter

It's basically a 110 Varmint with a threaded muzzle.

geezerhood
01-30-2019, 01:06 PM
I am liking the Valkyrie. Very fun to shoot at 500 yards.

Accurate Mag makes great magazines. I run Accurate Mag magazines on 4 different Savage long actions with 100% success.
An older post of mine about using Accurate mags for multiple calibers that they weren't designed for:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62005-One-removable-mag-stock-setup-for-308-through-338-Lapua&p=439306#post439306

copterdrvr
01-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place being a Lefty. Plus I'm building with a 6.5 barrel to work the 90 grain bullets better.

geezerhood
01-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place being a Lefty. Plus I'm building with a 6.5 barrel to work the 90 grain bullets better.

On a bolt gun, unless you want the small case capacity for some reason, a 6mm or a 6.5mm Creedmor or something like it makes more sense to me for 1K yard competition or fun shooting when you want low recoil and longer barrel life. The only reason I went with the Valkyrie was because it was too cheap to pass up for something that would give me decent performance out to 1K on an AR-15 platform for 75 to 88 grain Hornady bullets. The small amount of powder used is a bonus. After thinking about it some more, I probably would not build a Valkyrie in a bolt action rifle but you never know.

copterdrvr
01-31-2019, 08:20 PM
I HAVE a 6.5 Creedmoor that I've been competing with for a couple years now and my buddy is building a 6 CM after owning a 6.5 CM for about two years also.

We typically shoot out to about 850 yards and I see no detriment to using the Valkyrie whatsover. I've already built a Valkyrie AR with a 7 twist barrel and I love shooting it-no recoil to speak of at all and .5 MOA accuracy with 82 grain Bergers. The new barrel is a 6.5 twist and I'm looking forward to shooting 90 grain bullets in it.

No recoil at all to speak of-the 6.5 will be a backup to the backup for sure!